Who is On or Near 153.965 in Central Calif?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirkenVogt

More and more often I hear someone's fire dispatch coming through on ours of 153.965. I believe it has to be in the central valley area somewhere though it might be slightly off frequency one way or the other. Have not gotten enough information to tell exactly where it could be coming from. Anyone familiar offhand? Sounds like a city is all I can say at this point.

Birken

brandon

Database Admin
Here is whats in the database for that freq that is fire related.

153.965 100.0 - Nevada County
153.965 82.5 - San Luis Obispo County / Town of Templeton

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
brandon said:
Here is whats in the database for that freq that is fire related.

153.965 100.0 - Nevada County
153.965 82.5 - San Luis Obispo County / Town of Templeton

FYI, Templeton uses this frequency for mobile-to-mobile tactical use only, no dispatching or paging tones.

What about Winnemucca or Tonopah, Nevada? Think they'd boom in?

BirkenVogt

No we don't get anything from that direction. Big, huge mountains in the way.

SLO is a possibility however it is a very remote one. I was thinking somewhere around Modesto but that is a wild guess. It could be north of here too but I am pretty familiar with that area and not aware of anything there.

Birken

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
BirkenVogt said:
SLO is a possibility however it is a very remote one. I was thinking somewhere around Modesto but that is a wild guess. It could be north of here too but I am pretty familiar with that area and not aware of anything there.

Like I said, no fire dispatching on 153.965 in SLO County. Guess it's time to start playing the harmonics game, or off frequency stuff.

153.950 = South Lake Tahoe, stuff in Mendocino Co, City of Bakersfield, Shasta Lake FPD

153.965 = City of Denair (Stanislaus Co), Ceres, Newman and others

Good luck! I used to hear some other area's local net (CDF) bringing up ours back in the days before we changed PLs here. I think it was Napa. That's a long way from SLO!

Sac916

BirkenVogt said:
No we don't get anything from that direction. Big, huge mountains in the way.

Birken

You capture any PL tones ?

BirkenVogt

No, I am listening on a fire radio so I don't have the ability to do things like capture PL, etc.

Ceres area sounds interesting, does anyone have any specifics on that system?

Birken

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Is the signal getting coming through your 153.965 repeater, or are you hearing a distant transmitter directly? I believe Nevada County's uplink is 156.33, isn't it? The "culprit" may be there, though the only other licensee I see on that freq is San Marino in L.A. County, and I don't think they use it any more.

BirkenVogt

Well I know it is Nevada County...I work here (see my sig) and as a sideline I also maintain the radio system myself so I know it B()()MS, that is the way I want it. Works good.

Just trying to figure out who else was on "my" frequency since I've never heard co-channel interference on it before.

Yes, I am talking about the output (153.965).

The input (156.33) is 5 KC off a marine channel which is very annoying because we have one old Midland repeater that instead of a "squelch crash" rebroadcasts the activity on that marine channel for a brief time when unkeyed.

We are waiting for the day when one of those marine operators will come on the air with a PL and lock up one of our repeaters. It was a bad choice of input frequency back in 1987 or whenever they did it.

Anyway I do not see any reference to 153.965 in the Ceres area on the Database though I do find it in the FCC license lookup. Does anybody have any further info on that system?

Birken

EMSJUNKY

153.965 is the VHF patch for santa clara fire. They are on the 800mhz trunked analog, but the county still requires them to have a traditional uhf or vhf patch. this may be what your hearing?

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
BirkenVogt said:
Just trying to figure out who else was on "my" frequency since I've never heard co-channel interference on it before. Yes, I am talking about the output (153.965).
OK. What I meant to ask was whether the "interfering" station is bringing up your repeater(s) (thus probably being on/near 156.33) or just coming in to you directly from their own sites.

Some of the following is as much as five years old, from Kelty, so take it with a grain of salt (I excluded all the Nevada County stuff):

In Fresno County:
Selma Selma-Kingsburg-Fowler Sanitation District (simplex) 153.965 100.0

In Stanislaus County:
Municipal Public Works 4 (simplex) 153.965 "multi" tones
Newman Public Works "100"-units (simplex) 153.965 123.0
Oakdale Public Works "300"-units (simplex) 153.965 118.8
Ceres Public Works "600"-units PLUS "police coordination" and "fire coordination" (simplex) 153.965 127.3

Riverbank Public Works & Water (simplex) 153.965 103.5
Denair Community Services (simplex) 153.965 none

In Shasta County:
Redding Mountain Gate Comm Service District (simplex) 153.965 none

In Santa Clara County:
Fire 1 VHF bridge (?) 153.965 131.8
"272" (?) Fire 1 Fire Dispatch 1 [multicast on 153.965]

In Sonoma County:
Cotati Police secondary & Public Works (simplex) 153.965 103.5

In Monterey County:
Del Rey Oaks Police tactical + telephone "blue 10" (simplex) 153.965 107.2

and getting farther afield...

In SLO County:
Templeton FPD tactical 2 (simplex) 153.965 82.5

Santa Barbara County
Solvang MID Fire & Public Works "B1" (simplex) 153.965 82.5

Also, Oxnard & Port Hueneme, and San Bernardino & San Diego Counties use it, but they gotta be almost too far away to even consider

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Ignore my PM...

BirkenVogt, sir...

You can skip my PM... I've gone ahead and posted it here. Turned out to be not as long as I had expected.

ALSO, way back when 153.965 was first installed, I recall that either 46.16 or 46.22 was also an input for it, for the departments (including GVFD) who hadn't yet gotten VHF-high rigs. It was a problem for us for a short while when units on the VHF high pair would try to transmit to a VHF-low-only engine... who of course couldn't hear them ;-)

I can't imagine the low band uplinks are even there any more.

Last edited:

BirkenVogt

You are correct on the low band, as late as the late 90s the dispatches (tones and dispatch info) were simulcast from Grass Valley ECC, some departments couldn't afford to replace all their pagers so the volunteers got toned on low band and then they had to go find a high band radio to hear the ongoing incident traffic.

As of now the low band system is still operational, but I do not monitor it nor do I know of anyone who uses it regularly.

You are correct on my information I meant to say see my location but I see that is not filled in either. Sorry. I will fix that right away.

Anyway the traffic I have heard is "engine xx" going here and there along with patient info, etc. so it is a fire freq. I will have to go monitor it and see if they give a location.

Birken

Status
Not open for further replies.