Why are amateur radio licenses required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G7RUX

Someone turned on the echo box in this thread...
Apologies. Due to being some hours out of the loop I tend to see posts in an odd order so sometimes I reply with something that has already been said.

I shall try harder in future.

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
I didn't really read all the post's but, the basics is so all the airwaves are safe and everybody's on the same page.

WA8ZTZ

Its to prevent something like this but in the RF spectrum.

ecmweb_10865_crazy_wiring_nepal_pr.png
Brought to you by your telco/cable provider.
Look around... sadly you see a lot of this.

celestis

The FCC was created after the Federal Radio Commission was told by courts they couldn't refuse licensing and then a bunch of halfwits thought it was funny/hip/cool/whatever to just blast excessive RF energy anywhere and everywhere

Get a grip, OP

VA3TFC

An amateur radio license is needed to operate on certain frequencies used only by amateur radio operators. There are other bands that can be used by unlicensed people. CB (HF) and FRS (UHF) are two that are quite common and no license is required to operate on those bands. In Canada we don't have GMRS so that isn't an option here. Only CB and 22 channel FRS radios are available here for use by the general public. FRS walkie talkies get used mostly by construction companies on work sites. I got my ham license many years ago and had not used it much but recently started to get back into the hobby. I am surprised how many people in my city have their ham licenses and use the local 2m repeaters here regularly. There are still three nets every week and one daily net on 2m repeaters here.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
Why is it so difficult to take a simple test that most people familiar with radios could pass with ease? Have you even looked at one of the sample tests?
I guess being listexic has it's disadvantages. I had a Very hard time getting the minimal Code for the Tech Plus I had and I took the general test and missed it (only by a coiuple) but still missed it. I have NEVER been good at tests, even when I know the material well . All taht said I am for the License of Hams as it is an International Hobby/Service

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
True. When I bought my HTX202 (on layaway) from the local Radio Shack I had to provide my license before I could leave the store with it. Not sure when vendors eliminated that check over time.
My first radio was a brand new HTX-202 and I did not have a license yet. They were not checking in 1992.

Dakota_N

Why is it so difficult to take a simple test that most people familiar with radios could pass with ease? Have you even looked at one of the sample tests?

It's not a simple test! I have a learning disability and even a blood test is challenging for me. That being said, I know the rules, and I only listen. I'd love to key up, but I'd hate to make enemies. But simple test? Not for some of us. Yes, I have a 130 IQ, but a severe memory deficit from a stroke makes me look like a total idiot. I'm sorry, but I just play by the rules. A test is very difficult for me.

K7MEM

You sound intelligent enough, but it also sounds like you really just don't want to get a ham license. And, that is fine. But don't start making excuses you haven't even tried. Tests are difficult for everyone. For some it just takes a little longer to reach a goal.

I have a learning disability all my life (I'm now 74), but I have never used it as an excuse to not do something. If there was something I wanted to do, I figured a way to do it. If your IQ is what you say, you should be able to work it out. You want a real test, try taking the Civil Service exam. With that exam, you sit there and answer test questions for 6-8 hours, on every subject you can think of. All that to see if you qualify to be a trash collector. I took the test when I was 18. My English teacher recommended it as a way to open up various job possibilities. I chose to take the SAT and go to college instead. I took many tests, but never an actual IQ test. Never needed it.

Why would you think that you would make enemies?

In 1999, before they dropped the Morse requirements, I upgraded from Novice to Extra in only two VE test sessions. In the first one I took, and passed, the Tech and General written tests plus the 13 WPM Morse test. About 2 months later I took the Advanced and Extra written tests plus the 20 WPM Morse test. For most of that I just read over the questions and took some sample tests. It gave me a feel for the tests. For me, the hard part of the tests were the Morse tests. And I passed them with 100% copy.

These days, the tests have been reworked and are easier to take. If you get 85%-90% regularly on the sample tests, your probably ready for real test. You can even take the tests on-line now, putting less stress on the whole process. It is common these days to take all three tests and go directly to Extra, in a single test session.

Dakota_N

You sound intelligent enough, but it also sounds like you really just don't want to get a ham license. And, that is fine. But don't start making excuses you haven't even tried. Tests are difficult for everyone. For some it just takes a little longer to reach a goal.

I have a learning disability all my life (I'm now 74), but I have never used it as an excuse to not do something. If there was something I wanted to do, I figured a way to do it. If your IQ is what you say, you should be able to work it out. You want a real test, try taking the Civil Service exam. With that exam, you sit there and answer test questions for 6-8 hours, on every subject you can think of. All that to see if you qualify to be a trash collector. I took the test when I was 18. My English teacher recommended it as a way to open up various job possibilities. I chose to take the SAT and go to college instead. I took many tests, but never an actual IQ test. Never needed it.

Why would you think that you would make enemies?

In 1999, before they dropped the Morse requirements, I upgraded from Novice to Extra in only two VE test sessions. In the first one I took, and passed, the Tech and General written tests plus the 13 WPM Morse test. About 2 months later I took the Advanced and Extra written tests plus the 20 WPM Morse test. For most of that I just read over the questions and took some sample tests. It gave me a feel for the tests. For me, the hard part of the tests were the Morse tests. And I passed them with 100% copy.

These days, the tests have been reworked and are easier to take. If you get 85%-90% regularly on the sample tests, your probably ready for real test. You can even take the tests on-line now, putting less stress on the whole process. It is common these days to take all three tests and go directly to Extra, in a single test session.
For someone with a learning disability, you sure sound ableist. Not everyone has the memory capacity. Yet I met an 11 year old at hamfest, and she just got her ticket. I believe I can at least try. The ham study course starts in January and I intend to try. I had a stroke when I was born, and it severely affects my memory.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Everybody notice that the OP dropped his troll post then went radio silent ?
The post was originally in another thread. It was off topic and was moved here to its own as the number of responses here were the predicted result. In other words, the moderators here are fantastic. Anyways, I am sure others question the need for licensing as well. Thus, the replies provided various reasoning some may not have considered.

Additionally, some people may not be aware of FRS and MURS frequencies that are licensed by rule and do not require testing nor fee payments, at least here in the U.S. Still, they are licensed by rule so any old radio off eBay could be problematic.

Last edited:

K7MEM

For someone with a learning disability, you sure sound ableist. Not everyone has the memory capacity. Yet I met an 11 year old at hamfest, and she just got her ticket. I believe I can at least try. The ham study course starts in January and I intend to try. I had a stroke when I was born, and it severely affects my memory.
You may need to look up what ableist means and then read your original post. I didn't ask you anything about your disability. Nor will I. I just refuse to accept the problems that my disability causes. And, I don't feel the need to detail my disabilities to anyone. That's no ones business but my own.

Everyone is different with their learning capabilities. While some youngsters could memorize all of the ham test questions, that certainly is not me. The Tech test is pretty easy, but it's a lot of memorization. Most of the test is about safety and operating. The Tech test is just to get you into the hobby. That's were all the real learning starts. From there, the General and Extra tests are more technical, but you can still get through them. For most of the questions, IMHO, you can readily pick out the wrongs answers. Once you eliminate them, things get easier. No need to memorize everything. And, remember, you don't have to get every question correct. You can get a few wrong and still pass.

I do agree that, if you don't have a technical background, the General and Extra tests can be difficult. That just means you need to study a bit more than someone else. What do you intend to do with a ham license? When I was in high school (1965), I had an interest in radio and electronics. I was amazed when I found out that I could actually get a license to transmit. I wanted to be one of those odd noises that I heard on the short wave bands. So I got a Novice license. I have been working in radio and electronics ever since.

At least you don't have to worry about learning Morse Code any more. That was the main excuse that many hams use to use to justify not upgrading to Extra. Today, most of my communication is still via CW (Morse Code). I don't expect you to learn Morse Code, but it is one of your options.

Well, good luck on your test(s).

Boombox

Why require a license to operate an amateur radio station? Because that's the way it is done. It's been that way for around 110 years.

The FCC was authorized by Congress to license the operation of radio transmitters, except in the few cases where licenses are not needed, or no longer needed (Part 15, Citizen's Band, etc.).

I disagree with the sentiments on here that compare operating a ham radio to surgery or cosmetology or handling nitro-glycerine. No user of a ham radio is going to cause bodily harm.

But it doesn't necessarily follow that anyone should be able to get an Icom 7300, 1KW linear and start blasting away wherever they want, just because they can. The tests to get ham licenses aren't that difficult. Besides, the HF and VHF spectrums also have government and utility stations, and the Government doesn't really want everyone with a ham rig capable of doing so tuning around willy-nilly and interfering with ARINC, USAF, etc. The licensing doesn't guarantee that such things will never happen, but it at least is a step that ensures that those who operate are rudimentally aware of the rules and laws. and aware of the existence of the FCC as enforcement authority.

To the OP, if you are so dead set against getting a ham license, get a CB. You can talk to the world when conditions are good. Yes, technically shooting skip is illegal, but that rule probably hasn't been enforced in decades.

CHHTX

Why bother getting a driver's license?? Just go buy a car and drive??Who needs to be a lawyer to practise law??
Just to mention, you don't have to have a drivers license to operate a car. You can drive one without a license. Just like transmitting on a ham radio, you can until you get caught. As for the lawyer question, of course you must have a license as you're practicing directly in front of a legal body. These are 2 very different scenarios.

I used to laugh at people who said they were getting their ham license for when the world collapses. I mean, you should learn it all for sure. But to have your license for when everything collapses, if that happens, no one is going to be chasing you and arresting you for transmitting. The world has collapsed and there are bigger issues to deal with. (Also, IIRC, you can legally operate a ham radio in case of disaster/emergency without fault.)

Point is, learn it so you can use it when you need it. But since you learned it, you might as well go ahead and get your license so you can tinker/practice with it. That way when it all collapses, you're not tuning into an empty/dead frequency and talking into the ether.

73s
KI5ODU

Status
Not open for further replies.