Why are amateur radio licenses required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Maybe not as quickly as from a gun shot or a traffic accident, but misuse of RF transmitters can have serious health impacts.
Yeah, I s'pose you're right but that's a bit of a stretch when you compare it with the things that result from cars on a daily basis.

k6cpo

Based on the amateur radio license holders I've run across that use GMRS without a license, or access public safety systems without authorization, or program LMR systems into their radios "just in case", I think it's a fair question.

I think if someone wants to buy a random Chinese radio off Amazon and just use it without a license, the amateur radio bands are the ideal place to do that. Less chances of interfering with public safety users.

But, yeah, getting your tech license is really easy. I think many people have a harder time filling out the paper work on their own for a GMRS license (as well as paying the fees) than they do getting their ham tickets (where someone essentially holds your hand and walks you through it.
I get your point, but I disagree with what you said. We shouldn't be making it seem as though illegal operation is OK on the ham bands. We should discourage illegal operation every chance we get.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I get your point, but I disagree with what you said. We shouldn't be making it seem as though illegal operation is OK on the ham bands. We should discourage illegal operation every chance we get.

I'm 50% kidding, 50% not. But ask me tomorrow, the ratio might change….

However, it is fun to watch the same hams that hack their radios to work on public safety frequencies (just in case/when all else fails), get their panties in a wad when someone even thinks about working ham bands without a license. The double standard/hypocrisy is savory.

In other words (see 50/50 comment above), maybe hams (remember, I are one) need to get their s**t together before getting upset at others.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Who said you had to have a license to use a IC-7300 as a receiver?
Only if you TRANSMIT do you then need a license.
You dont need a drivers license to by a car
You dont need a fishing license to buy a rod n reel.
You dont need a hunting license to buy a gun....

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As far back as 1988 you could not walk into a HAM RADIO STORE and buy a radio without showing a copy of your AMATURE LICENESSE.
This I know as fact as I drove 2 plus hours to Memphis, Tn to buy a dual band mobile radio and was denied a sale due to not being licensed.
This back in the day before EBAY or INTERNET SALES.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Why is a license even needed to get into ham radio, that makes no sense , just buy a radio off ebay and start talking

Just buy a car and start driving. You can do a lot of damage or cause a lot of trouble without killing someone. It is primarily a filter to keep those willing to follow reasonable rules like not using it to broadcast or to interfere with other transmissions. There are lots of reasons. What to do about the ease of purchasing a transmitter is the real issue--not just allowing someone who has gotten one to transmit. Just because you can do something does not mean it should be allowed.

rescuecomm

Driving is bad enough with the licensing. NHTSA numbers are 42,795 deaths for 2022. Not all amatuer radios are plug and play. HV on amps can electrocute the lay person.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
As far back as 1988 you could not walk into a HAM RADIO STORE and buy a radio without showing a copy of your AMATURE LICENESSE.
One radio shop would sell you the radio but pull the transmit tubes. Once you showed them your amateur radio license, they would hand over the tubes.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So if I want to buy an Icom IC-7300 just to use as a receiver, why do I need a license?
There is no U.S. law or FCC rule that prohibits selling an amateur radio transceiver to an individual who does not have an amateur radio license. If the retailer you are dealing with requires that you have an amateur radio license in order to sell you an amateur radio transceiver, that's a store rule.

However, it is fun to watch the same hams that hack their radios to work on public safety frequencies (just in case/when all else fails), get their panties in a wad when someone even thinks about working ham bands without a license. The double standard/hypocrisy is savory.

In other words (see 50/50 comment above), maybe hams (remember, I are one) need to get their s**t together before getting upset at others.
There definitely is a double standard there - when I first got licensed, a local elmer (now SK) would get irate at the "freebanders' on 11 meters encroaching on 28mhz with their modified import radios - so he modified his Kenwood TS-850S to transmit on 27Mhz and was very proud at the fact that he could wipe out their 4 watt signals with his 100 watt signal...

Pot...meet Kettle...

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
So if im on FT8 instead of N1EXA FN41mp - With No Liscense ill just Say i'm Little Billy and I live in A Tree House...
On QRZ.com just use Little Billy as your call !
Just keep saying it into your New Radio I'm Sure Somebody will talk to you !

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I was big into CW in the late 70's early 80's. The out-of-banders were really bad back then. On 10 meters they'd run spaced out evenly from 27.405 all the way up to around 28.300 and really mess up the CW frequencies.

It's not nearly as bad these days, even with 10 being open as it is. Incursions are pretty rare. I guess there are a lot fewer of them now than there were back in the CB craze era.

zob-slantzero

Who said you had to have a license to use a IC-7300 as a receiver?
Well to answer your question:
And why Amazon continues to get away with the practice of selling two way amateur radio equipment, knowing full well that a majority of their customers aren't licensed and don't know their tails from a hole in the ground regarding the rules of the road is beyond reprehension!

belvdr

No longer interested in living
And why Amazon continues to get away with the practice of selling two way amateur radio equipment, knowing full well that a majority of their customers aren't licensed and don't know their tails from a hole in the ground regarding the rules of the road is beyond reprehension!
And every other store that sells amateur radio gear. Should all of those be punished as well?

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
Why is a license even needed to get into ham radio, that makes no sense , just buy a radio off ebay and start talking
Why bother getting a driver's license?? Just go buy a car and drive??Who needs to be a lawyer to practise law??

k6cpo

I don't even like it when hams want to "MARS Mod" their radios to use them on GMRS — even with the proper license — because carrying two radios is too inconvenient. When I was first starting out, I was guilty of that, but not for GMRS. Now that particular radio is set aside and not used and I won't ever sell it to someone else.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't even like it when hams want to "MARS Mod" their radios to use them on GMRS — even with the proper license — because carrying two radios is too inconvenient. When I was first starting out, I was guilty of that, but not for GMRS. Now that particular radio is set aside and not used and I won't ever sell it to someone else.

I agree. When I was young, I didn't know any better. Then I learned from those that did. Part of the hobby is learning from others.

...That was pre-consumer internet…

Now it seems to be "Some guy on the internet/YouToobs said it was OK, the FCC doesn't care, and you'll never get caught".
Then the integrity goes out the window. Disappointing to see it happen. Yet those same folks will get upset if some one dares talk about using amateur radio without a license.

Seems like there's a lot of hypocrisy in the hobbies, and it keeps getting worse. Individuals seem to encourage it, probably so they don't feel alone. If hams won't follow the rules, why should anyone else, huh?

G7RUX

Wh
Why are driving licenses required? Why not just buy a car and drive it?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Someone turned on the echo box in this thread...

Why is a drivers license even needed to get into driving cars, that makes no sense. Just buy a car and start driving where ever you want.

See how foolish you sound?

Why bother getting a driver's license?? Just go buy a car and drive??Who needs to be a lawyer to practise law??

Wh

Why are driving licenses required? Why not just buy a car and drive it?

Status
Not open for further replies.