• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Why the rush to Phase 2 P25 when the D block is coming on line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure I understand the question.

P25 Phase 2 is two slot TDMA in one 12.5KHz channel. Like DMR, cram two voice paths into the same space as one.
As for using it for data, you can only fit 4.8KB/s in a 6.25KHz equivalent channel. Not very useful for anything serious. And as you suggested, 700MHz D block, aka FirstNet, was intended to be broadband data for first responders. It can also carry phone calls and PTT traffic.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
And as you suggested, 700MHz D block, aka FirstNet, was intended to be broadband data for first responders. It can also carry phone calls and PTT traffic.

And to add to that. . . there seems to be a dramatic lack of enthusiasm around the idea of using FirstNet as a primary, mission critical radio system for both data and voice; putting all one's eggs in one basket is just asking for trouble, especially when a for-profit enterprise is responsible for the system. There's more enthusiasm for having one's own voice system with FirstNet as data system.

rescuecomm

Wasn't aware that slot 2 can carry voice. Any agencies doing this? I understand the importance of having dedicated dispatch and operation channels. How important is slow data?

RS

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's unclear how familiar you are with P25 Phase I and Phase II trunking, vs P25 conventional
  • P25 Conventional is FDMA, and therefore is only capable of one voice transmission per frequency
  • P25 Phase I trunking is also FDMA, and also one voice transmission per frequency
  • P25 Phase II trunking is TDMA, which means that all traffic channels are capable of carrying two voice transmission per frequency, divided into two alternating time slots
As to your question regarding "any agencies doing this?", assuming you're asking about Phase II TDMA, the answer would be "a lot". There are roughly 340 Phase II systems identified in the RRDB, with many of them being countywide or statewide systems that serve thousands of agencies and tens of thousands of users, operating in TDMA mode.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How important is slow data?

Depends on what it's used for. In todays world, there's not a lot you can do with 4.8Kb. Good for AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location), some very simple uses, like OTAR, Over The Air Rekeying, where encryption keys are uploaded to radios, OTAP, Over the air programming, where radios can be programmed remotely. There's been a few other things done, but that's pretty much it.
Public Safety has much higher demands on their data systems now. The old days of running license plates over a slow terminal are long gone. Now they are uploading reports, running license plate readers, scanning the mag stripe on the back of the drivers license, uploading/downloading photos, fire agencies can pull up building plans, maps, etc. Not to mention computer aided dispatch, where dang near everything can be done over a computer and not so much reliance on voice traffic.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
And to add to that. . . there seems to be a dramatic lack of enthusiasm around the idea of using FirstNet as a primary, mission critical radio system for both data and voice; putting all one's eggs in one basket is just asking for trouble, especially when a for-profit enterprise is responsible for the system. There's more enthusiasm for having one's own voice system with FirstNet as data system.

A small agency I do two way radio work for has asked me about migrating to FNET for primary coms. I was not completely opposed to the idea except for the obvious question of reliability. My biggest issue is I would like to see a purpose built device for PTT if this is the case. They make the gateway (pricey), but to issue officers cell phones and expect them to use them as radios is not practical.

I've had good luck with Inrico radios and am half tempted to load the ATT PTT software on it and see how it works.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
A small agency I do two way radio work for has asked me about migrating to FNET for primary coms. I was not completely opposed to the idea except for the obvious question of reliability. My biggest issue is I would like to see a purpose built device for PTT if this is the case. They make the gateway (pricey), but to issue officers cell phones and expect them to use them as radios is not practical.

I've had good luck with Inrico radios and am half tempted to load the ATT PTT software on it and see how it works.

APXNext is used on FNET as a PTT only devise. I use my LEX11, however a you said it is also a cell. I rarely use the cell feature...mostly cause FNET has no coverage at my house.

12dbsinad

Have you ever seen blues brothers and "scmods"? State County municipal Offender Data System? See the computer scroll text? That's what you can do with P25 data.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
P25 and data.

Originally there were three phases to P25.

Phase 1 (conventional and trunked voice/data via FDMA)
Phase 2 (trunked voice/data via TDMA)
Phase 3 (trunked data)

You can actually reference Codan's P25 User Manual from 2004 and see the original progression and keep in mind, Phase 1 trunking was just beginning to get off the ground in 2004. When you look at the fact that P25 was designed back in 1990's, the 4.4 kbps voice encoder that could be subbed for raw data was a decent amount of data. Especially when the traditional alternatives were 1200 bps to 9600 bps packet terminals. Motorola built a system to add onto their P25 systems called High Performance Data (HPD) as a predecessor and it allowed up to 32k of on dedicated trunking resources (all controlled from the site control channel). However, cellular quickly surpassed what we now refer to as "Narrowband IP solutions" and is why Phase III is now defunct.

That being said, there are a lot of things you can do with P25 when it comes to data...but the systems are most efficient when using pre-canned statuses and call alerts and paging. You see it used some, but not often (for example, call alerts are used to open some gated community gates on GATRRS).

Status
Not open for further replies.