Wichita County Fire P25

nd5y

There was a lot of radio testing on the Wichita County Fire dispatch repeaters but didn't pay attention at first. Then I realized it was P25. Of course they quit by the time I got DSD+ running. I got NACs on two repeaters.
155.565 243
155.820 243
Electra did test pages in P25. I don't know if that means they have P25 pagers now or what is going on.

They moved one repeater and added two recently.
I still haven't heard 155.0475 or 154.1525 in use yet. 154.1525 and Burkburnett on 154.160 will interfere with eachother.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
The 243 is a dead give away, as many conventional counties use the comptroller county code as the NAC, like 238 for Ward, 002 for Andrews, so on…not in all cases but quite a few

nd5y

Right now these two P25 repeaters are dual-mode and linked. I'm trying to figure out all the repeaters are still linked in analog or if they broke up the single multicast system into areas or analog/digital.

nd5y

Iowa Park just paged Iowa Park VFD and Wichita West VFD and announced they are "switching to digital in ten minutes" (08/08/2024 08:30) and "Your analog pagers will no longer work in ten minutes".

nd5y

Earlier this morning it looked like
151.4975 NAC 243
155.5650 NAC 243
155.8200 NAC 243
are linked. I haven't heard anything this afternoon. At this point I don't know if they are still dual-mode or P25 only.

nd5y

The 4th repeater is up. 151.3925 NAC 243. Looks like they are all linked.

I have no idea if the fireground/simplex channels for each department also went P25.

nd5y

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
They might be using 158.9325 as the input to all five repeaters now.
I actually started to ask if they were using a common input a few days ago, but figured since they used different inputs on VHF why would anything change. But are you hearing dispatch only using 158.9325 or all units and are you just listening from one area?

nd5y

I started scanning all the inputs and unknown/unused county frequencies yesterday. I have heard units in different areas on 158.9325 NAC 243 and nothing yet on the others. I'm not sure yet but I think it's a vote-scan system with one input but it doesn't make data bursts like the federal vote-scan systems.

nd5y

If they are using one input they could have done that a long time ago. It's been years since I paid any attention to the repeater inputs and I have heard them working on stuff in the past couple years.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I started scanning all the inputs and unknown/unused county frequencies yesterday. I have heard units in different areas on 158.9325 NAC 243 and nothing yet on the others. I'm not sure yet but I think it's a vote-scan system with one input but it doesn't make data bursts like the federal vote-scan systems.

Voting scan is pretty straight forward to setup in most radios these days (at least EF Johnson and Motorola). Just put the channels in the scan list and the radio performs a SNR or BER based vote. You don't need anything on the system side. As an example, I vote scan Palo Pinto's county's Firenet. The only real question is do you let the vote dictate what channel the mobile transmits on or do you manually steer it via the operator?

nd5y

But are you hearing dispatch only using 158.9325
I missed this part. There is no centralized county fire dispatch. Burkburnett, Electra and Iowa Park each have their own police/fire dispatch. I don't think I ever tried to listen to them on the analog repeater inputs.

Burkburnett dispatches their FD on their own city frequency and they dispatch Friburg-Cooper, Cameron Gardens and Wichita East VFDs on the county system.
Iowa Park dispatches their VFD, Wichta West and Kamay VFDs on the county system.
Electra dispatches their VFD and Punkin Center VFD on the county system.

That can cause chaos at times and sometimes on the analog system the dispatchers got covered (because they used RF control stations) by fire units that can't shut the hell up and stay off the radio while the dispatcher is paging out somebody. I don't know yet if they were smart enough to replace those with IP consoles on the new system.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I missed this part. There is no centralized county fire dispatch. Burkburnett, Electra and Iowa Park each have their own police/fire dispatch. I don't think I ever tried to listen to them on the analog repeater inputs.

Burkburnett dispatches their FD on their own city frequency and they dispatch Friburg-Cooper, Cameron Gardens and Wichita East VFDs on the county system.
Iowa Park dispatches their VFD, Wichta West and Kamay VFDs on the county system.
Electra dispatches their VFD and Punkin Center VFD on the county system.

That can cause chaos at times and sometimes on the analog system the dispatchers got covered (because they used RF control stations) by fire units that can't shut the hell up and stay off the radio while the dispatcher is paging out somebody. I don't know yet if they were smart enough to replace those with IP consoles on the new system.
Seems like a paging only frequency being added to the system would benefit them tremendously, not to mention centralizing dispatch. In these days of property values pricing people out of their homes via taxes, combining personnel, facilites and infrastructure is a more sound fiscal policy and can lead to a much smoother radio operation as well. I think voters should be educated about this and push for change, however I feel the same way about counties with over a dozen school districts all needing their own admins……that’s another topic

nd5y

I don't know yet if they were smart enough to replace those with IP consoles on the new system.
I can hear Iowa Park and Electra dispatch on the input. Maybe all they did was replace or reporgram (if they were already P25 capable) the control station radios.