Wildfires near Mt Hood, how to listen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro94Pdx

Premium Subscriber
Maybe someone's already covered this on another post, but just in case, I'll ask. With the recent wildfires near Hood River (Dollar Lake Fire) and others further south, I imagine it would be pretty easy to pick up "on the ground" firefighter radio transmissions and helicopter water drops if you're anywhere nearby... but are there any statewide or repeated frequencies that can be picked up from the Portland area? Or if not, what frequencies would I want if I'm traveling through the gorge and want to hear them? Does anyone know?

In southern Oregon, there is a frequency transmitted from an ODF contractor which coordinates forest fire protection, and it's based near Coos Bay. While traveling, I was able to pick it up from 2 counties away to the south, even in places with hilly terrain and tall trees. I can't recall the frequency, but it was in the 150s, if memory serves, and it came in very clear. I'm wondering if there are any similar forest fire frequencies which are audible in Portland, from either side of the Columbia. Does anyone have any insight on this?

mm

Most grounds comms are hard to pick up unless your withing a couple of miles or at a high location with LOS to the fire area.

Air attack is busy on 167.9875 and very strong in the Salem area on a Motorola handheld and somewhat readable on a Uniden BR330T scanner.

One air to ground frequency that I heard some activity on yesterday is 168.65 but so far the majority of air drop traffic that I am hearing today is on 167.9875.

I haven't found the Air to Air VHF Victor frequencies yet, I haven't any time to scan since i have been at work today but maybe tomorrow at noon I can pick up some more.

Mike

Also the Portland public safety trunking system had some traffic yesterday with the Bureau of Waters Sandy district, talkgroup 13904, carrying some activity at one of the watersheds.

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Was just picking up a little bit of traffic on 123.975, the NIFC tanker base freq. I believe this is out of Troutdale airport.

Pro94Pdx

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Let me know if you find any others. Should be interesting listening until they get these fires under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.