Will a external JPole overload a HT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

I've been thinking about moving my small 2m mobile radio from my desk and replacing it with a HT on some kind of stand.

I would still like to use my attic mounted JPole. How do you think my HT would like that?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
A properly tuned antenna shouldn't overload any radio, especially at the power level you want to use. QRP operators use very low output into full size antennas and talk great distances

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Actually, you might have some issues on receive. It's not unusual for someone to connect a handheld antenna to a mag-mount antenna on their car and find that they have to deal with all kinds of interference that the radio didn't receive before with just the rubber duck.

OTOH, a j-pole in an attic already has some reception challenges, so my guess is that you won't notice any problems. If you were talking about a 6 dB gain antenna at the top of a 75-foot tower, my answer might be different.

khaytsus

A properly tuned antenna shouldn't overload any radio, especially at the power level you want to use. QRP operators use very low output into full size antennas and talk great distances

The "tuning" of the antenna has nothing to do if the radio will be overloaded. If the radio has proper front end filtering and is selective it'll be fine. If it it has a weak front end or is a cheap SDR radio, it'll likely be unusable on any external antenna.

lmrtek

Mobile radios tend to have better front ends that can handle signals better

If you look around the forums you will see a lot of people saying their Baofeng or similar it goes deaf with an outside antenna

Hts are designed to use the antenna they come with

Adding bigger antennas usually causes increased interference and desense

Status
Not open for further replies.