Will this scanner work in DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
My brothers wanting a scanner bad for monitering DC fire. We moniter fairfax and have a BC296D (with apco card) and love it. Could he possible get the same scanner and would it work? If not what would be a good one, and if theres a newer better one just let me know. Thanks,
-Wes

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep. it oughta work just fine. I think he'll be quite pleased with it - and tell him to get on over and register! I don't think we have too many brother scannists teams on this forum hi :D
The new 396 is out there and works, but if you've been following the threads, there is a problem with the lettering fading away and rubbing off....

73s Mike

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I would say the 296D should work fine. I have a Pro-96 and BCD396T as well. Both work fine too of course. As for the lettering on the 396, I wouldn't see that as a show stopper. At present mine says "RunkTracker IV" - lol. But Uniden is working on a fix. I will send it in eventually to get the case replaced. Its a great scanner that just has a minor issue. Anyway, welcome and have fun witht he hobby - both you and your brother!

Dank

DC scanning

As a test for both of you check the database for DC freqs and program some in to see for yourself. If you can hear Fairfax you shuld be able to get DC. The only thing to consider is that the DC police use a TRS system in the 460mhz range, while their Fire /EMS system in 800 band TRS. Hence they need to be entered in seperate banks on your 296. Other than that its a piece of cake.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.