• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Will We Ever See A MURS & Network Radio Combination That Is Legal To Use In The United States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have often thought that a single device that can keep us in touch around the world AND have simplex communications would be highly desirable. Years ago, when I had Nextel, the earlier devices had Direct Connect, but if you couldn't reach the network, you were "dead in the water". Some time later, they offered off-network Direct Talk. The range was modest, since it is about 600 milliwatts on 902-928 Mhz. I always thought that was a great move on Nextels part because when you lost network coverage, you still had a means to communicate. I actually still have a few of my old Nextels and they still work great on Direct Talk. Nextel is long gone from the United States and it looks like not much iDen remains in other parts of the world either.

And, as most people here already know, devices for the major cell phone carriers in the United States, which are Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint work well when they have coverage. When you lose coverage, you have no Direct Talk on the handset.

While I don't currently have any dedicated MURS radios, I have been aware of MURS probably since the time it was being proposed. As has been discussed here, it probably isn't as well known as FRS/GMRS for various reasons.

Somewhat more recently I have become interested in Network Radio. A friend, who is also a co-worker, mentioned it recently. I have a Zello account and I have had some great conversations there.

Being an outdoor enthusiast, I am often on the lookout for devices that will enhance enjoyment of ATVing, kayaking, horseback riding and other activities. I have seen the Garmin RINO units at Cabela's, for example. They look great with their integration of GPS and GMRS radio. Their limitation, like other radio services, is that they are limited in simplex range and, if you have repeater access, requires the correct PL tones, permission to use the repeater, etc.

Now back to combination devices. They do currently exist. The Inrico T298s is a network radio with an embedded VHF FM transceiver. The problem is they are not currently configured for the United States cellular bands AND the VHF radio would not be FCC Part 95 compliant. Wouldn't it be nice if they start making a US version of the Inrico T298s? You could use it as a cell phone on AT&T or T-Mobile, use it for Network Radio AND have access for the five MURS channels. That would be a handy device for me.

Inrico T298s 3G/Wifi VHF Radio 137-174 MHz (Android unlocked) EU/UK/Australia

Chronic

Rfinder M1 DV/U DMR 4G/LTE

Not sure where this is type accepted , but you can look it up

The RFinder M1 is the most advanced DMR Transceiver combined with an embedded powerful smartphone. It delivers up to 4 Watt of RF Power out of its very robust case.
Running Android, you can install all the available Play Store apps. This means that you can install Zello, Team Speak, EchoLink and many others and use the built-in PTT button to key the transmission on such apps. Can you imagine that? If you don’t reach an EchoLink node, just use your RFinder 3G, 4G or even WiFi, and you are connected. Never miss a QSO again just because there isn’t a nearby repeater. And because the RFinder has an updated database of worldwide repeaters, EchoLink nodes and DMR talk groups, you never have to memorize anything. You just search the station or repeater you want to connect, and the RFinder will change all the settings for you, either using DMR or conventional analogue FM. The RFinder is so advanced that will allow you to see on a map all the available DMR/EchoLink/Conventional repeaters nearby. Just click on your selected station, and your radio settings are changed: RX and TX frequency, Tones, offsets, splits, color codes. Everything! Welcome to the first Click & Talk transceiver. If this is not phenomenal what is it then?
This network radio is fully compatible with the International Radio Network

JASII

Memory Capacity
If I recall correctly, the most recent changes to FCC Part 95 (which includes MURS, FRS, GMRS, CB, etc.) prohibits certification of any Part 95 device that is capable of operation in another radio service.

That is a good point. The Network Radio use wifi or cellular connectivity, but it IS RF. If it is deemed another "radio service" that would preclude it from certification. I know that there are some marine radios that also have GMRS, but that may have been done before the change.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
If I recall correctly, the most recent changes to FCC Part 95 (which includes MURS, FRS, GMRS, CB, etc.) prohibits certification of any Part 95 device that is capable of operation in another radio service.
The Part 95 restriction applies only to FRS radios. FRS radios can not be certified if it can be used in another service. Radios in parts 90, 22, etc. can still part 95.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.