Wilmington Newbie with Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord1

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. Great site, the amount of info. available is amazing. Now to my questions. I've been away from the hobby for about 13 years. I owned a Pro-43 in the early 1990's when I lived in the Washington, DC Metro area. Needless to say there was always a lot of interesting things to scan for in the DC area. I now live in Wilmington (New Hanover County) and would like to get back into the hobby. These are my questions.

1) Is there enough interesting radio traffic in Wilmington and the surrounding area to make the purchase of a scanner even worth it? I've always lived in or near major metropolitan areas of the country but never in a "smaller" town like Wilmington. I don't travel much anymore so I would be monitoring Wilmington pretty much exclusively. I'd hate to buy a scanner only to find out there isn't much to listen to.

2) I am considering the Pro-97 but would make the jump to the Pro-96 if there is any benefit in my area. The local RS manager said the county has plans to switch to digital but there is no set timetable for the changeover. Would the Pro-97 be sufficient for Wilmington or would I be better off spending the extra cash for the digital Pro-96? I'd hate to buy an analog scanner only to have it be obsolete in a month or two. Btw, I'm not wedded to RS scanners, so if someone thinks I'm better off with a Uniden model please let me know.

3) Is the computer software really necessary for an area the size of Wilmington? I am fairly computer literate so the programing part shouldn't be an issue. I can see the benefit of these computer programs when you have several hundred or more frequencies to enter into your scanner but how many frequencies are there in the Wilmington area?

Thanks for taking to time to read this and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Ed

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
1) There is plenty of traffic in Wilmington to make your monitoring worthwhile. I would strongly recommend the Pro-97 since digital is still a long time out (I dont know about specific plans for new hanover county but I know the entire area is still analog. The closest digital is Onslow County and thats not enough traffic to warrant going to the Pro-96)

2) Im not too fond of Uniden (Personal lazyness, its easier to get RS and they have always done me right). I never did have a problem with their equipment and reiterating the Pro-97 preference because they do LTR and you will need that for Brunswick countys new system.

3) If you don't mind getting sore fingers from manually programming the scanner, thats great! :p I think the software is worth the investment. Don Starr puts out some great software that many of us would be lost without.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions....

overlord1 said:
I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. Great site, the amount of info. available is amazing. Now to my questions. I've been away from the hobby for about 13 years. I owned a Pro-43 in the early 1990's when I lived in the Washington, DC Metro area. Needless to say there was always a lot of interesting things to scan for in the DC area. I now live in Wilmington (New Hanover County) and would like to get back into the hobby. These are my questions.

1) Is there enough interesting radio traffic in Wilmington and the surrounding area to make the purchase of a scanner even worth it? I've always lived in or near major metropolitan areas of the country but never in a "smaller" town like Wilmington. I don't travel much anymore so I would be monitoring Wilmington pretty much exclusively. I'd hate to buy a scanner only to find out there isn't much to listen to.

2) I am considering the Pro-97 but would make the jump to the Pro-96 if there is any benefit in my area. The local RS manager said the county has plans to switch to digital but there is no set timetable for the changeover. Would the Pro-97 be sufficient for Wilmington or would I be better off spending the extra cash for the digital Pro-96? I'd hate to buy an analog scanner only to have it be obsolete in a month or two. Btw, I'm not wedded to RS scanners, so if someone thinks I'm better off with a Uniden model please let me know.

3) Is the computer software really necessary for an area the size of Wilmington? I am fairly computer literate so the programing part shouldn't be an issue. I can see the benefit of these computer programs when you have several hundred or more frequencies to enter into your scanner but how many frequencies are there in the Wilmington area?

Thanks for taking to time to read this and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Ed

overlord1

Robbyboy said:
1) There is plenty of traffic in Wilmington to make your monitoring worthwhile. I would strongly recommend the Pro-97 since digital is still a long time out (I dont know about specific plans for new hanover county but I know the entire area is still analog. The closest digital is Onslow County and thats not enough traffic to warrant going to the Pro-96)

2) Im not too fond of Uniden (Personal lazyness, its easier to get RS and they have always done me right). I never did have a problem with their equipment and reiterating the Pro-97 preference because they do LTR and you will need that for Brunswick countys new system.

3) If you don't mind getting sore fingers from manually programming the scanner, thats great! :p I think the software is worth the investment. Don Starr puts out some great software that many of us would be lost without.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions....

Robbyboy,
Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. It sounds like the Pro-97 would be a good choice for me. Btw, according to the local RS manager the Pro-97 is going on sale next week for $150; sounds like a good buy. Do you know how the re-banding issue is going to effect the Pro-97 in particular? Will it be compatible with re-banding or will it need to be reprogrammed? Thanks again.

Ed

JerGoTV3

Ed-
Welcome to the site and yes there is plenty to listen to.

Which shack did you goto? If you go back...tell him to make sure he has two of those 97s. I may become the proud owner of one.

overlord1

JerGoTV3 said:
Ed-
Welcome to the site and yes there is plenty to listen to.

Which shack did you goto? If you go back...tell him to make sure he has two of those 97s. I may become the proud owner of one.

Went to the one on Market Street. Guy said he had plenty of stock (I asked). Sale is supposed to start June 4th. Only thing that worries me is the re-banding issue with regards to the Pro-97. Will it become an expensive paper weight or can it be upgraded?

Ed

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Welcome!!!

Overlord1 welcome to the RR community.

In reference to your question about the Pro 97, I remember reading here on RR that it is beleived the 97 would be compatible with rebanding. The idea was the scanner would have to be sent in for an upgrade once rebanding had occurred.

You also may want to hold off on a 97 to see if RS will come out with a new model. I read earlier today in the RS scanner forum here on RR of some of the RS employees getting tags for two possible new scanners that could be replacements for the 97 and its mobile version, the Pro 2055.

Yet another option for you would be the Uniden BC246T or BCD396T (for digital).

Maybe this will help you.

wrngnmbr6

Welcome to Wilmington...??

I also just recently moved here( from dirty jersey) and was out of the hobby for a while as I was defending(Army) our country for 3 years. I am now back into it and just recently for Christmas and before moving here bought myself a BR 330T to add to my collection which consists of Pro-92, Pro-2067, BC780XLT, and the vintage Pro-43. I was considering digital but just was too costly at that time and didn't see the need after doing some research. I am now considering digital just so I'm ready when they do switch. There is plenty to hear here that's for sure. I am considering selling some of my collection to make room for new... Well welcome to Wilmington and to the board...I just found this site myself a few months ago and I have never seen a better site....Very informative....

overlord1

wrngnmbr6 said:
I also just recently moved here( from dirty jersey) and was out of the hobby for a while as I was defending(Army) our country for 3 years. I am now back into it and just recently for Christmas and before moving here bought myself a BR 330T to add to my collection which consists of Pro-92, Pro-2067, BC780XLT, and the vintage Pro-43. I was considering digital but just was too costly at that time and didn't see the need after doing some research. I am now considering digital just so I'm ready when they do switch. There is plenty to hear here that's for sure. I am considering selling some of my collection to make room for new... Well welcome to Wilmington and to the board...I just found this site myself a few months ago and I have never seen a better site....Very informative....

Thanks for your service to our country, glad you made it home safe. How do you like your BR330T? I sort of narrowed my choices down to either the BR330T or the PRO-97. I like the look of the Uniden better but I've heard that the Pro-97 has better sensitivity and of course with the sale coming up it will be about $100 cheaper too.

Is it possible to pick up any NC State Trooper frequencies in Wilmington? Anyone been able to? Thanks.

Ed

JerGoTV3

Ed...you can hear their dispatch and sometimes a trooper through New Hanover County's 800mhz sstem on talkgroup ID 52048.

You can also monitor the statewide VIPER system and there's 42.380.

It's kind of hit and miss sometimes though.

drew6553

go to the data base and look for troop B's input and ot put low band for new hanover and take off the delay for those channels and it will be easy to hear them i use the low bands here in brunswick b/c sometimes hitting the new hanover 800 is hard

Status
Not open for further replies.