Win92 and Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to pull data off of my Pro-2067 using Win92 so I can make some edits. While Win92 successfully puts the radio in clone mode and the radio starts transmitting data, Win92 just times out waiting for a particular byte pattern. I ran a serial port monitor program and I do see data coming back from the radio, but on a quick scan through the beginning of the transmission I don't see the data Win92 is looking for. Any thoughts?

I've got a PL2303 cable, not an FTDI cable. Like I said though, I see data coming back through the port on the computer, so the installed drivers appear to be functioning properly.

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
Try this worked for me.

If Win92 complains that it can't find a file or component necessary to run (or something like that), you can get the required files here. This file is a WinZip archive containing the required components. Merely put it in the same directory/folder where you put the Win92.exe program, and "unzip" it (as with the Win92.zip file, you'll need WinZip or an equivalent utility to do this). The archive contains three new files: MFC42.DLL, MSVCRT.DLL, and MSVCP60.DLL. You can then delete the DLLs.zip file.

http://www.starrsoft.com/freeware/win92/apps/DLLs.zip

budevans

I'm trying to pull data off of my Pro-2067 using Win92 so I can make some edits. While Win92 successfully puts the radio in clone mode and the radio starts transmitting data, Win92 just times out waiting for a particular byte pattern. I ran a serial port monitor program and I do see data coming back from the radio, but on a quick scan through the beginning of the transmission I don't see the data Win92 is looking for. Any thoughts?

FYI, when I Googled PL2303 the first hit I got said that the Prolific PL-2303 chipset wasn't compatible with Windows 8. Here's the link: USB to Serial Convert Cable ( DB9M / USB A Male) - 3FT - Monoprice.com

It seems strange that it won't work with Win 8, but maybe that's the issue.

I also found this issue reported to MS TechNet, here's the link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...46131/prolific-comm-to-usb-driver-not-working

Last edited:
If Win92 complains that it can't find a file or component necessary to run (or something like that), you can get the required files here. This file is a WinZip archive containing the required components. Merely put it in the same directory/folder where you put the Win92.exe program, and "unzip" it (as with the Win92.zip file, you'll need WinZip or an equivalent utility to do this). The archive contains three new files: MFC42.DLL, MSVCRT.DLL, and MSVCP60.DLL. You can then delete the DLLs.zip file.
[/url]

I already tried grabbing the DLLs archive, even though Win92 wasn't complaining about missing files.

FYI, when I Googled PL2303 the first hit I got said that the Prolific PL-2303 chipset wasn't compatible with Windows 8. Here's the link: USB to Serial Convert Cable ( DB9M / USB A Male) - 3FT - Monoprice.com

It seems strange that it won't work with Win 8, but maybe that's the issue.

I also found this issue reported to MS TechNet, here's the link: Prolific Comm To USB driver not working

The PL2303 HXA and PL2303 X chipsets aren't supported in Windows 8. There are newer revisions of the PL2303 that do work, such as what's in the TrendNet TU-S9 (what I have). I found this initially with my old Zonet USB to serial cable which uses one of the EOL chipsets.

n5ims

This page on the Prolific web site (Products) helps to explain why they don't have drivers for the older EOL PL-2303 chipsets.

Please be warned that counterfeit (fake) PL-2303HX (Chip Rev A) USB to Serial Controller ICs using Prolific's trademark logo, brandname, and device drivers, were being sold in the China market. Counterfeit IC products show exactly the same outside chip markings but generally are of poor quality and causes Windows driver compatibility issues (Yellow Mark Error Code 10 in Device Manager). We issue this warning to all our customers and consumers to avoid confusion and false purchase.

The drivers for the newer versions appear to validate that the chipset in question is indeed valid and not a counterfeit.

You may also want to read this Microsoft thread on possible alternate driver(s). http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...o-serial/a962c5fa-1c23-467e-b65e-4334f8137645

Last edited:
This page on the Prolific web site (Products) helps to explain why they don't have drivers for the older EOL PL-2303 chipsets.

The drivers for the newer versions appear to validate that the chipset in question is indeed valid and not a counterfeit.

You may also want to read this Microsoft thread on possible alternate driver(s). windows 8 does not support Prolific usb to serial driver - Microsoft Community

Right. My old adapter didn't work (EOL chipset), my new adapter is recognized properly and shows up correctly in Device Manager. Win92 is able to open the port, it just times out while waiting for a response from the scanner (despite me seeing data being received by the computer via the serial port).

Status
Not open for further replies.