Win95 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fodbuster

Perhaps my computer is just being a pain in the HDD, but maybe somebody else has had this problem. I went to upload some new TG's into my scanner today, and Win95 is telling me that it can't open the com port. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I tired disabling my firewall and that didn't help. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Blazer7112

WIN95 is set up to defualt Com port 1 your PC may be using a different com port.

If changing the comport dosen't help then mak shure you dont have your Com port disabled in your hardware profile. Very unlikly a firewall would effect anything

Bentley

Try switching to com port 4 you can find the com port settings in the configuration menu at the top of the page in win95. Select CONFIGURATION > SERIAL PORT > then a new window will appear on your screen. Use the arrow buttons to change the COM port number. Switch that to COM port 4. If that doesnt work, try going thru all the numbers by starting at number 1 until your scanner is able to upload / download correctly.

Good Luck.

fodbuster

This is so wierd. I have tried COM1-COM10, with no luck. And, this is a new occurence. Thank you to all that have replied so far, but changing those didn't work. This must be a hardware problem. If I'd only gone to computer school :)

OkRob

Might look in Device Manager under Comm Ports and see what port your cable is assigned to. Are you sure your cable is good? Also, does something else maybe have the comm port captured, such as HotSync for a Palm device, which is known to do this if not configured not to? This should be something you can work through with a little effort. Might post which cable you're using and whether it hooks up to serial port or USB.

- Rob

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
First thing you should check is the hardware device manager (in the computer O/S) to see if the port is operating properly.

fodbuster

OkRob, you are a genius. Thanks to MS ActiveSync, my IPAQ was synching via COM1 and USB, but that has been rectified. Lesson for all: If you have a PocketPC, double check that!

Status
Not open for further replies.