Windows Home Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgentle

It is only used as an FTP server. It does NOTHING else. It sits under the desk and does FTP. So, for what I'm using it for, and I had the software, it's the perfect solution.

N

N_Jay

It is up and running.

I am getting used to the differences between a Server OS, and running a server on a desktop OS.

I had to drop the RAID idea, as for some reason, WHS does not like Intel's RAID drivers. The machine runs at a craw when I have RAID turned on, even though the OS was on a non RAID drive (and the RAID drives were not even in use).
I guess that us what MS means when they say it is "not supported".

Maybe third party RAID would work better, but my goal was to move to Intel so I would not have to worry about not being able to get a new RAID controller in a few years in this one died.

SO far I only have it doing what it does by default.
Next I have to get it doing FTP and a little richer Web server.

Oh the fun of a new machine.

N

N_Jay

1) I was staying away from SW RAID because of the performance hit with RAID 5 (the only thing I am interested in)
2) I figure, if MS said RAID is not supported, I tend to think that especially includes SW RAID (I figured Raid in the hardware would be somewhat hidden from the OS)

hescominsoon

want to know the difference between xp and server 2003? Nothing except what features are in it..they both are on the same core. Same goes for windows vista/7/2k8.

Status
Not open for further replies.