windows software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlagerveld1103

Premium Subscriber
I recently decided to update my scanner, but in the time between when I first obtained it and now, I began using a Mac computer which does not support Freescan, Proscan, etc. I have an small laptop that runs on Windows Chrome. I tried to download Freescan and it says that it cannot be used with Chrome. Any suggestions about how I can get Freescan to work on my laptop? I have very limited knowledge, so any basic suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You might get better responses if you request this be moved to the Scanner Programming Software forum rather than here. Please don't start a new thread just click on REPORT in bottom left corner and ask the admin to move it. They'll be happy to help out and your responses might be better responded to.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You can give Parallels a try. I think there are some users here that have got it working. Might use the search button and check some of the forums first. I've never used it for programming software but I have used it for other 'windows only' applications and it has worked well for me. You will need a copy of windows for that to work though. If you 'need' to purchase windows go with win7 as it will be cheaper and the free update to win10 is still available from Microsoft.

Unfortunately there aren't too many options for Mac users in the radio world.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I recently decided to update my scanner, but in the time between when I first obtained it and now, I began using a Mac computer which does not support Freescan, Proscan, etc. I have an small laptop that runs on Windows Chrome. I tried to download Freescan and it says that it cannot be used with Chrome. Any suggestions about how I can get Freescan to work on my laptop? I have very limited knowledge, so any basic suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you
See this article on using your Mac. I've not seen any posts regarding someone successfully using one of the Chrome books.
Mac Users of Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Chrome computers are a Google based system and depend on being connected to the internet when used for most tasks. A good solution is to look for a refurbished Windows computer. I recently got an HP small form factor with 8 GB of ram and a 500 GB SSD for about $175 with a fresh install of Windows 10. You might find a decent refurbished laptop for even less with a little searching online.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
For years, I used a 10-year-old Acer netbook with Windows 7 for all my programming. If I sold it, I probably couldn't get $50 for it but it worked flawlessly for me. I had Chirp, Sentinel and several RT Systems programs on it. When Microsoft said they were not supporting or protecting Windows 7 anymore, I put Windows 10 on it. It took 5 hours. It only has 4 megs of Ram and it's a lot slower now but it still works. The RAM is permanently installed and not upgradeable, unfortunately.

dlagerveld1103

Premium Subscriber
You might get better responses if you request this be moved to the Scanner Programming Software forum rather than here. Please don't start a new thread just click on REPORT in bottom left corner and ask the admin to move it. They'll be happy to help out and your responses might be better responded to.

Thank you very much. Still trying to find my way around these forums. Thanks again

merlin

You don't state what OS you have, I can only run proscan on my W7 laptop or my XP machine.
Win 10, I am stuck with Freescan but that is OK. Freescan runs on all 3 of my machines.
Anything that will download the installers will get your software, then copy to the machine you want and install.
Windows 10 comes with a newer version of dot net than what you need with proscan and won't let you install older versions, why I don't have proscan.
Seem there is a MAC version of freescan on the download site,look for it. (Linux also)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You don't state what OS you have

Apparently he has a Chrome Book computer running Chrome OS, not Windows. It's totally different than a PC and/or Windows. That's why it's not working.

Chrome OS is the speedy, simple and secure operating system that powers every Chromebook

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 comes with a newer version of dot net than what you need with proscan and won't let you install older versions, why I don't have proscan.
That's absolutely incorrect..... Older versions of .NET can easily be installed on Windows 10 with just a few mouse clicks. There are many threads on that.

In Windows 10, go to:

Control Panel --> Programs and features --> Turn Windows features on or off (in the upper left corner)

Once that window populates, click in the box that says ".NET Framework 3.5 (Includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)”, and .NET 4.8.....

Click OK, and they will be installed.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
That's absolutely incorrect..... Older versions of .NET can easily be installed on Windows 10 with just a few mouse clicks. There are many threads on that.

You know that had me wondering how I am running 6 instances of Proscan simultaneously on a Windows10 x64 20H2 Lenovo M73tiny box.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Seem there is a MAC version of freescan on the download site,look for it.
There has never been a MAC version of the Freescan programming software. Please post a link to what you are talking about here.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing he means the iOS app version for remote control. Definitely not for Mac computers or programming.

Have a helpful link so the rest of you don't have to ''look for it''

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing he means the iOS app version for remote control. Definitely not for Mac computers or programming.
That iOS remote app version of Freescan was removed from the App Store quite some time ago, but yes, you’re right… it’s very possible he’s confusing that iOS app version with actual MAC compatible programming software.

Status
Not open for further replies.