Worcester/ Ocean City

Status
Not open for further replies.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
The EDACS and P25 systems are connected via a migration gateway at the system switch level. As a result the EDACS system appears as a site to the P25 system and the P25 system as a site on the EDACS system. All public safety talk groups are able to appear on both EDACS and P25.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's very cool. Harris seems to do quite well with the gateway/interop/interface stuff, very streamlined, at least in final effect and concept.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
It sounds fine to me, but I'm using an SDS100 (and a G5) which work much better on P25 systems than older scanners.

Maybe with those it sounds better or me being still in the land of VHF high band and UHF just is not used to the way P25 sounds. To me the Worcester feed sounds horrible. Which seems to be the case for most P25 systems I have listened to in person and online. But again, it may just be my ears.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Maybe with those it sounds better or me being still in the land of VHF high band and UHF just is not used to the way P25 sounds. To me the Worcester feed sounds horrible. Which seems to be the case for most P25 systems I have listened to in person and online. But again, it may just be my ears.
Many people mention that they don't like the way P25 sounds. I've gotten used to it, and TBH, I prefer it over scratchy analog that we have on my local analog SmartZone system.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I guess it's a time thing and as it grows here I'll get used to it. But to me the old analog still sounds much better. The P25 systems just sound like everone is garbled and trying to talk while underwater to me. I'll miss the EDACS system. :(

dpm797

i am with one13truck, i like tphe sound of analog much better. I do not like the sound of digital, P25, DMR, or whatever the format. just my humble opinion.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Did Ocean City fully make the switch over? Listening to the feed tonight it sounds horrible, I mean, like they did. Again though, my area is still 99% high band and UHF so I'm not as used to hearing the P25 systems full time but, wow. Not being a system user with one of those fancey $5-6K radios I'll take the better sound quality of those legacy EDACS and conventional channels or even the M systems over the P25 any day. Progress, I guess. :)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
OC P25 system sounds fine natively. Hopefully the feed provider will upgrade to a SDS200. The audio via the LAN / ethernet port is pristine.

DisasterGuy

While not on the official roadmap at this time, Worcester has the ability to feed Broadcastify directly from the system infrastructure as an official feed should that be advantageous in the future. At this point however the quality and reliability of the existing feed provider has appeared acceptable.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
The reliability I agree with. With very rare exceptions the feed is always up. The quality we'll disagree on. And that is nothing against the feed provider. Like I've said P25 systems just sound terrible in general. Other than an SDS scanner not really much that can be done about that.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Apparently the latest (ongoing really) issue is two buildings in Newark that have poor in-building coverage (ironically the Newark VFD, and the WCDC,) and there was some questioning about why they were not included as critical buildings in the original RFP / contact spec. FE is recommending an antenna change at the Central tower site from a directional type oriented SW to improve coverage in Snow Hill, to an omni type that would improve coverage in the Newark area (and hopefully not be detrimental to Snow Hill coverage.)

FE seems to feel that with the Mystic site now online, and making changes to the antennae at the Central site will improve signal strength enough to overcome the tropo ducting interference from Virginia Beach. They recommend re-evaluating the situation this spring and summer when the weather conditions are conducive to the phenomenon. If the situation is still not satisfactory, then re-banding might another solution (but not without significant additional costs, and no guaranty it will be successful.)

They also noted that with the OC P25 system coming online, county users are able to roam onto the Ocean Pines site, which helps with coverage in the northern part of the county.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
I saw in another post that the ocfd has switched over to the new p25 system. Anyone local to that area know if or when the edacs system is going offline so we can remove it from the scan list, or will it be left on?

DisasterGuy

There is no longer any traffic on the Worcester / Ocean City EDACS system except for patches via the migration gateway. The EDACS systems will be powered down very soon.

WNZT398

I saw in another post that the ocfd has switched over to the new p25 system. Anyone local to that area know if or when the edacs system is going offline so we can remove it from the scan list, or will it be left on?
Thanks GE / Ericsson GE / Ericsson / Comnet Ericsson / Tyco / MaCom & Harris for 27 years of 16Plus, EDACS & Provoice. Except for Y2k, Rebanding & Tropospheric Ducting every June, it was a good friend. Drop the mic, it will fade away in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.