Would this splitter work in lieu of a multicoupler?

BinaryMode

I've been wanting to use one antenna with more than one scanner and I recently spotted this no name splitter. It doesn't say dB loss but rather the use of diodes which seems promising in my needs. Would a splitter like what is pictured work, or would I get interference from the other scanners connected to this splitter and/or dB loss from the antenna?

I'm thinking the diodes are for power over the coaxial used in satellite or something.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ewsdrgerer.jpg
    ewsdrgerer.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 20

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This was discussed before in the thread below, maybe you'll find something in that thread about same issue.

Ubbe

If you have a scanner that can display signal level in dBm or have a monitoring program that can show that, then check if you can tolerate a 4-5dB loss for a 2 way splitter or 7-8dB for a 4 way splitter. Those CATV splitters has something like a 20dB isolation between outputs so the risk of interference between scanners/receivers are lower than using a BNC T-connector that has no isolation.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Two port splitter: 3dB loss per port, typical 3.5dB. Three/Four port splitter: 6dB loss but typical is more like 7dB per port. The issues are:
- That type of splitter uses F connectors, and your scanner likely doesn't. Add in adapters, and you get a little more loss.
- Early (cable) TV splitters couldn't pass beyond 300MHz, later units 400MHz. What are you listening to, 900MHz?

The splitter you want should be a splitter and not some "power combiner" or other similar looking device. I like mine to pass from about 5MHz to 1000MHz (1GHz); so, at least in theory, the pass band is flat out as far as I want to monitor.

With loss from coax, adapters, splitting, etc.; you can see why people use multi-couplers. Of course, adding amplification to overcome that loss is not without issues of its own. I've said here before, what you have is not an antenna and a receiver(s); but an antenna system.

BinaryMode

Would something like this make up for the signal loss, or create more interference.

Trying to do this on the cheap if I can.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27

Ubbe

Would something like this make up for the signal loss, or create more interference.

I cant find that LS48 models on their Lindsey website, maybe it's an older model, but their comparable models state 5-6dB internal noise and excluding the splitters and a 0dB gain output, effectively making it a 6dB attenuator. Electroline have better multicouplers that have comparable specs to Stridsberg or even slightly better.

Of course the best are always to have separate units, the amplifier section at the antenna and the splitter part down at your receivers. Then you'll overcome coax and connector losses as well as producing a constant good impedance load to both antenna, coax, and receivers.

/Ubbe

RichM

I use an Electroline 8 port drop amp EDA-FT08100 designed for splitting satellite TV. I run 2 hardware scanners and 2 SDR’s off one antenna and it works great. No signal loss or added noise and only around $40 on eBay. If you buy one make sure it includes the power supply.

I tried a cable splitter like the one you originally mentioned and it had too much loss. Stridsberg are very expensive comparatively and their customer service has been lacking recently. Many people use the Electroline splitters with good results. Hope this helps, good luck.

Ubbe

That EDA-TF08100 as well as their EDA2400 and EDA2800 have a 3dB noise figure that are good and equal to Stridsbergs worse 3,5dB. The 8 port have a 3-4dB gain the same as a Stridsberg and will help to overcome the noise figure in a scanner. The 4-port has a 7dB gain that could be too much but using a $5 1-2 CATV splitter connected to one port will reduce the signal 4dB so that some scanners that can handle a higher signal can use the 7dB gain ports and others the 3dB from that extra splitter.

Those EDA amps have a linearity with the same gain at 900MHz as at 54MHz, but they do not go below 50MHz as that are reserved for a filter that allows a signal to travel in the opposite direction thru the amp. In best case all signals below 50MHz will go from the antenna input to output as passive and have a loss of 7dB with the 4 port and more with the 8 port.

/Ubbe

merlin

That splitter is too narrow for scanning. Looks like it cuts off at 290 MHz You need one good from 50 MHz to 1 GHz.
You will have about 6.8 Db loss per port with these.
If you can find a 4 port CATV distribution amp, that will fill your bill. They usually punch about 0Dbm per port.
(I use a 2 port Scientific Atlanta drop amp with my setup. $10 on ebay)

Ubbe

That splitter is too narrow for scanning. Looks like it cuts off at 290 MHz You need one good from 50 MHz to 1 GHz.
You will have about 6.8 Db loss per port with these.
If you can find a 4 port CATV distribution amp, that will fill your bill. They usually punch about 0Dbm per port.
(I use a 2 port Scientific Atlanta drop amp with my setup. $10 on ebay)
It was stamped with 2500MHz.

That Scientific Atlanta amp seem to have pretty equal spec as the Electroline but at $10 it's a much better bargain.
That 2 port version have a +15dB gain out it's ports so you have to attenuate that somehow, maybe using a passive 1-8 splitter.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Never seen adapters with any significant loss at all.
By the time you're done with the total line between antenna and receiver, you've used a few adapters. The loss is not zero. While each one could be a fraction of a dB, they add up.