• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-805G

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumshoe4

I recently purchased a Wouxun KG-805G HT, which is Part 95 type accepted for GMRS. It comes pre-programmed with the GMRS channels, including the repeater channels. The repeater channels are identified by number and repeater designation ("RPT20", for example). This makes things a bit unwieldy, because you have to remember the channel number and its relationship to the repeater frequencies you wish to use and then you have to manually go in and set the CTCSS or DCS tones every time you use that channel for a different repeater.

Mostly out of curiosity, I checked CHIRP to see if I could identify other unprogrammed channels in the radio. My objective was to program specific repeaters and their tones and names in those unprogrammed channels, if they existed. I found that CHIRP does not identify the KG-805G as a radio which it can program; however, I also found that if you use the program for the Wouxun KG-816, it does, in fact, allow the uploading and downloading of data from and to the radio. Doing so revealed that the KG-805G has quite a few unprogrammed channels. I put in my favorite GMRS repeaters into the CHIRP programming matrix and then successfully uploaded them to the KG-805G. I also stopped scanning on the pre-programmed channels in the radio and allowed scanning on the channels I had programmed, so now I can scan my favorite repeaters.

This may already be known to other KG-805G users, but I thought I'd put it on here in case someone didn't know.

Incidentally, I really like the radio.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Wouxun KG-805G HT, which is Part 95 type accepted for GMRS. It comes pre-programmed with the GMRS channels, including the repeater channels. The repeater channels are identified by number and repeater designation ("RPT20", for example). This makes things a bit unwieldy, because you have to remember the channel number and its relationship to the repeater frequencies you wish to use and then you have to manually go in and set the CTCSS or DCS tones every time you use that channel for a different repeater.

Mostly out of curiosity, I checked CHIRP to see if I could identify other unprogrammed channels in the radio. My objective was to program specific repeaters and their tones and names in those unprogrammed channels, if they existed. I found that CHIRP does not identify the KG-805G as a radio which it can program; however, I also found that if you use the program for the Wouxun KG-816, it does, in fact, allow the uploading and downloading of data from and to the radio. Doing so revealed that the KG-805G has quite a few unprogrammed channels. I put in my favorite GMRS repeaters into the CHIRP programming matrix and then successfully uploaded them to the KG-805G. I also stopped scanning on the pre-programmed channels in the radio and allowed scanning on the channels I had programmed, so now I can scan my favorite repeaters.

This may already be known to other KG-805G users, but I thought I'd put it on here in case someone didn't know.

Incidentally, I really like the radio.

Great info. Thanks. Can the radio be programmed with split tones?

roc54

Update: turns out that the CHIRP read embeds certain defaults into the radio, including Chinese voice, 60 sec TOT and several other things. I tried unprogramming and reprogramming the radio without success and I can't get it to stop doing these things, so for the moment, DO NOT use CHIRP to program the radio. Sorry I posted this and hopefully people will see this before they try it. Just wanted to make sure folks were forewarned and I apologize for not discovering and posting the problem earlier.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I tried unprogramming and reprogramming the radio without success and I can't get it to stop doing these things
IF the default frequencies and settings are in ROM, doing a full reset on the radio MAY restore things to factory settings (untested - proceed at your own risk!) You could also contact Retevis (I believe they have a Facebook group) to see what they suggest.

Flameout00

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just found it doing a search on programing my new 805G.

I was curious to try the Chirp software, so I loaded it up and used the KG-816 as my radio and it read it just fine. I added a few 70cm frequencies that I like to monitor just to see what would happen. To my surprise, I sent the file was to my radio and everything works perfectly. I even added a few local emergency frequencies to monitor.

That had me wondering if the 805G is single band 'in name only. I would like to add a couple NOAA frequencies (162.xx MHz) to see what would happen, but wondered if maybe that is what the original poster did to mess up his radio (entering frequencies in the 2 or 6 meter bands)

O-B-1

KJ7WUZ
The Wouxon software. I noticed there was mention in the text on the "Buytwowayradios.com" website that "...receive-only channels can be added for any frequency in the 400-470 Mgs range." I am assuming it is locked in firmware? Let us know if CHIRP has the capability. Good luck.

Flameout00

It will Rx and Tx in that frequency range. I found that out by accident, but disabled the Tx as I have my UV9P for those frequencies. It is working great as a scanner though on 70cm

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am assuming it is locked in firmware? Let us know if CHIRP has the capability. Good luck.

It may be a type acceptance thing. If the radio doesn't have Part 90 certification from the FCC, they may have locked it down to only ham radio and Part 95 stuff.

When it comes to MURS, there are rules in Part 95, specifically the MURS section, that says the radio can have no capabilities other than those listed in the MURS rules. Most of the -legal- MURS radios are locked down so they cannot have non-MURS frequencies in them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
When it comes to MURS, there are rules in Part 95, specifically the MURS section, that says the radio can have no capabilities other than those listed in the MURS rules. Most of the -legal- MURS radios are locked down so they cannot have non-MURS frequencies in them.

§95.2761 MURS transmitter certification.
-----
(c) A grant of equipment certification will not be issued for MURS transmitters capable of operating under both this subpart (MURS) and under any other subparts of this chapter (except part 15).

As for GMRS:

§95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.
-----
(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in §95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

wannabefree

It will Rx and Tx in that frequency range. I found that out by accident, but disabled the Tx as I have my UV9P for those frequencies. It is working great as a scanner though on 70cm
I am curios, setting aside any legal restrictions. Can the 805G be programmed for 440 ham repeaters as well as GMRS or is it hardware locked down to transmit only on GMRS of FRS. I see lots of reference to being able to program for listening within the UHF band but not transmit. I do not presently own a type accepted GMRS radio and am a Ham. All of my uhf/vhf radios are opened up for transmit in case of emergency. I would like to be able to do the same with a GMRS radio for emergency purposes only.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I am curios, setting aside any legal restrictions. Can the 805G be programmed for 440 ham repeaters as well as GMRS or is it hardware locked down to transmit only on GMRS of FRS.

I am assuming it is the firmware that locks it down, not the hardware. I doubt you will be able to do it, without some modified firmware or such. That would also very likely invalidate the Part 95 certification. You might want to look into getting a Kenwood radio that is Part 95 approved. They will cover GMRS and amateur radio.

Flameout00

As I stated above, yes, the 805G can be set up to tx and rx on 70cm. It is not legal to do so though, so I don't recommend it

Status
Not open for further replies.