Ws 1040 scanning problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeScanner

Premium Subscriber
I just got a Whistler ws1040 and I have programed it but it will not pick up any trunk channels.it scans it but it never picks it up..any suggestions

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just got a Whistler ws1040 and I have programed it but it will not pick up any trunk channels.it scans it but it never picks it up..any suggestions
Welcome to RadioReference, jshaw.

In order for someone to assist you, we'd need to know what system you are trying to program. A link to it from the database is a good place to start. Also, please indicate your location. City, or County, and State is sufficient.

Did you use software to program your scanner? If so, which software program.

There are a number of pages in the Wiki that may help. Start here:
(Your Whistler scanner uses the same programming as the GRE and RadioShack models.)

This is an online manual that covers your scanner:

RomeScanner

Premium Subscriber
Rome Georgia area.i have tried all 3 softwares with no luck.it will pick up the trunk channels barely

tvengr

Well Known Member
Floyd Co is a simulcast system. That may be what is giving you a problem. Try turning SuperTrack on and off to see which decoding algorithm works the best. Also, try the attenuator. Leave the attenuator off if no improvement. Here are the scan lists in my file:
1. Floyd Co PD
2. Floyd Co Sheriff
3. Floyd Emerg Mgmt
4. Floyd Co EMS
5. Rome/Floyd Fire
6. Rome PD
7. Cave Spring
8. Floyd Services
9. Rome Services
10. Joint Services
Save the zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500 and upload to your scanner. Scan lists 1-6 will be active.

Attachments

• Rome_Floyd Co GA.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you mean that your trunk system's signals are weak when you say 'trunk channels barely', then it doesn't matter what software you use. You need a better antenna. How far away are you from Floyd County? Mike

RomeScanner

Premium Subscriber
If you mean that your trunk system's signals are weak when you say 'trunk channels barely', then it doesn't matter what software you use. You need a better antenna. How far away are you from Floyd County? Mike
Maybe a block from city limits

tvengr

Well Known Member
If there is a weak signal, he needs a better antenna. There is a simulcast cell covering the county. When he says picks up the trunk channels barely, that could very well be a simulcast problem, not being able to decode the control channel. If that is the case, putting in the attenuator may cut back on the towers received and improve control channel decoding. jshaw1968 how is your signal strength?

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Its the simulcast issue again on whistlers same thing below using the desktop version of yours in same county, same issues.

Same WS1040, Floyd county, same issues-> WS 1040

Advice Whistler WS1040

I highly suggest if you still can return it, get a Uniden brand scanner they play much better with simulcast.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
More specifically a SDS100 or 200. Even the X36HP scanners had simulcast issues...however you should jump to the Georgia forum and ask questions about that there, where you have folks in your general neck of the woods...Mike

RomeScanner

Premium Subscriber
If there is a weak signal, he needs a better antenna. There is a simulcast cell covering the county. When he says picks up the trunk channels barely, that could very well be a simulcast problem, not being able to decode the control channel. If that is the case, putting in the attenuator may cut back on the towers received and improve control channel decoding. jshaw1968 how is your signal strength?
1 bar

RomeScanner

Premium Subscriber
this is with your file its working a little better i did turn the squelch down

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_011025.jpg
    IMG_20191018_011025.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 24

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you only have 1 bar of signal, a better antenna would probably help. The Remtronix REM-800B antenna would give you a significant improvement in signal strength for 700 and 800 MHz. Using the REM-820S designed for the SDS100, I was able to receive a system that I could not receive before. There is always the danger that more gain could increase simulcast problems due to receiving more towers, but you won't know if you don't try it. Setting the squelch to minimum will usually improve trunking system performance. Did you try turning on SuperTrack for a comparison?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
The 1 bar signal thing and being in at least a 7 tower system within the county strongly suggests the problem is the signal bar numbers is all.
See pro652 I just used psredit500 to import the file created above and that is indeed the issue.

How to change - WS1040: - Signal meter indicating signal

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just checked my ARC500 software before and after loading the Rome/Floyd Co GA file and found the RSSI Signal bars 1-5 are set at 370, 450, 520, 610, and 680. I have never touched anything in the expert settings. Do these settings vary from radio to radio and what are the proper numbers? I clicked on Restore Defaults and nothing changed.

Last edited:

RomeScanner

Premium Subscriber
If you only have 1 bar of signal, a better antenna would probably help. The Remtronix REM-800B antenna would give you a significant improvement in signal strength for 700 and 800 MHz. Using the REM-820S designed for the SDS100, I was able to receive a system that I could not receive before. There is always the danger that more gain could increase simulcast problems due to receiving more towers, but you won't know if you don't try it. Setting the squelch to minimum will usually improve trunking system performance. Did you try turning on SuperTrack for a comparison?
I did turn on supertrack and so far it picking up a lot better

Status
Not open for further replies.