x36 Simulcast Improvement and Previous Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's safe to say many folks have seen P25 Simulcast improvements with the new scanners.

Will it be possible for Uniden to do whatever they did on the x36 models for the previous models (as in XTs and HPs) or was the fix hardware versus firmware?

mancow

Database Admin
There is a long thread about it already called the X36 simulcast thread. Hopefully it will help you get a better idea of their performance. There are several videos posted as well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yep - I've been watching that pretty closely and made a post or two there myself.

My question, while related to simulcast improvement, is a little different. With it being different, I didn't want it to get lost in the many posts in the X36 simulcast thread, so I thought I'd start another thread in hopes of catching Upman's special attention.

Perhaps I need to word it a little differently: Now that Uniden seems to have gotten a handle on how to "fix" the simulcast problem, can/will this "fix" be available for the 396XT and 996XT scanners? (I'm sure the Home Patrol owners may be interested in whether theirs can be "fixed" too).

WaveJam

Feed Provider
Perhaps I need to word it a little differently: Now that Uniden seems to have gotten a handle on how to "fix" the simulcast problem, can/will this "fix" be available for the 396XT and 996XT scanners? (I'm sure the Home Patrol owners may be interested in whether theirs can be "fixed" too).

I was suffering from multicast-itus with my 996XT and the 536HP has definitely made it 99.9998% better. My understanding though is that it is more a hardware issue and cannot be resolved with firmware on the 996XT. There is a thread in here (somewhere) and Upman hinted to that.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just kind of dreaming here, but if it is a hardware issue such as a chip on a board, it might be interesting to see if we could ship our 396XTs or 996XTs back to Uniden and they could pop in a new chip (obviously a cost would be involved).

WaveJam

Feed Provider
Just kind of dreaming here, but if it is a hardware issue such as a chip on a board, it might be interesting to see if we could ship our 396XTs or 996XTs back to Uniden and they could pop in a new chip (obviously a cost would be involved).

That would be nice, but I'm pretty sure it was more than just a chip. It sounded like it was a more of an overall architectural issue.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Still I'd like to hear Upman's thoughts on this. It may well be that he says "Sorry it just isn't practical or would be cost prohibitive to 'apply the fix' to prior models".

I'm a believer in a variation of the "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" philosophy, that being "Nothing asked, nothing answered".

SquierStrat

Will it be possible for Uniden to do whatever they did on the x36 models for the previous models (as in XTs and HPs) or was the fix hardware versus firmware?

Even if it was possible, they wouldnt. If they did, alot us 396xt owners wouldnt have a reason to buy their new scanner anymore.

WaveJam

Feed Provider
Still I'd like to hear Upman's thoughts on this. It may well be that he says "Sorry it just isn't practical or would be cost prohibitive to 'apply the fix' to prior models"..

Thats what I'm trying to tell you. Upman did already answer this in another thread around here somewhere. Its not feasible to have an update program and is why they have a next gen scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.