• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xpr 8300 repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

brin831

guys we were doing a transition to digital with our xpr repeater ... we programed all up and had some audio issues that we think we have fixed with software updates of hand helds ...

anyway ... the issue i'm having is that the 8300 repeater doesn't read or write anymore works fine but its stuck in digital all is working exactly as it should etc. but we can no longer program the radio ... any tips tricks or thoughts on what do to here have tried with 3 different pc's with the most up to date software which was used to program the radio last ... have tried new known working program cable so thats not the problem its the radio ... moto wants more than 1000 bucks just to look at it bc its a discontinued model.

any help is appreciated.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You need to upgrade your firmware. Latest XPR8300 is 02.07.00.04. If FW is older than 01.02.00 you need to go to 01.06.02 first, then on to the latest and greatest.

Just went through this a bit ago myself.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not sure if he can upgrade it if he can't talk to it. Sounds like the ethernet port is pooched which was a common problem with those.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
What I had happen was CPS was working but tuner was not. I upgraded all my software and then along with tuner not working, CPS quit too.

I believe I had to break out an older version of CPS to do the intermediate firmware upgrade, then used the new one for the final bump up but it did work on both.

As Mike said, you can't discount your communication pipe has sprung a leak either. Good luck.

brin831

thanks yeah we can't read or write to it ... have always used usb to the accy port

repeater was running old old firmware 1.01.00 if i remember but have never had a need to upgrade it ... it has happily run 10 watts analog for 8 years until now.

With that said i guess no real suggestions on a back door or way to reset the unit etc. huh?

thanks all

vans113

Premium Subscriber
If you do send it to moto dealer cost is 1,200. They no longer support the XPR 8300 they will send you a XPR 8400. I've had many of these do this myself. Programmed one incorrectly got to a tower site to put it in place , and was unable to read or write it.

brin831

so they will just send me an 8400 ??

my supplier keeps pushing me to get the new 1ru version of these repeaters

vans113

Premium Subscriber
so they will just send me an 8400 ??

my supplier keeps pushing me to get the new 1ru version of these repeaters

Yes I've sent off 2-3 of these and that's what I've been told by Motorola. I do also work for a dealer. 1,200 is dealer cost. If a dealer sends it off for you they may charge also to do so. Not sure how it works dealing directly with Motorola , and getting repairs done.

brin831

well vans we have a mol account and do many things ourselves i just hadn't really even researched sending it back myself bc honestly i trust my dealer with my kids but i know they just want to make a sale ... we are def. just sending this sucker back in!!

thanks

vans113

Premium Subscriber
Awesome hope that works out good for you. If you ever upgrade the SLR 5700 is an awesome replacement!

moononk

Premium Subscriber
If your going to upgrade I would use the SLR series. The 8400 is end of life and has many known problems - Bad PA Decks and network card issues

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
There are "ham friendly" dealers who will sell brand new SLR series repeaters for $2000 + shipping. The biggest advantage of the SLR series is that they are not just "2 mobiles in a box..." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.