• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL CPS Programming - best channel layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Hi All,

So I finally obtained my first XTL 2500 and I've noticed the CPS programming is different than with my XTS 2500/5000 radios.

I think I figured most of the differences out but I'm curious what others do for their XTL radios in terms of channel layouts.

My biggest issue is with scanlists. IIRC, the XTS CPS will let you scan only one zone at a time. The XTL will let you create scanlists across zones but it looks like you're only limited to 15 channel scanlists?

Then these scanlists appear to be tied to a personality. I thought I could get away with having just 3 personalities. One for Astro digital Tx, one for Analog Tx and the third for Tx inhibit. But doing that limits me to only two scanlists.

So it looks like the best strategy is to create a personality for each zone. That's fine but what if I have two zones with all Marine VHF and Railroad VHF freqs?

Is there any way to get off the 15-limit scanlists?

Anyway, I'd appreciate in seeing/knowing how you plan or layout your XTL radio...

PS. Can someone confirm that you cannot transmit analog when the personality is set to Astro digital? It looks like if that's enabled then analog Tx is disabled on that personality...

Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.