• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 05 Screen Blank at Power Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm sorry, but I am hard pressed to remember a single instance where a radio affiliated that was unauthorized and it led to imprisonment or even criminal charges. The idiots keying up and talking on the radio? That's another story. But please list the news articles where a radio affiliation (and only a radio affiliation) led to charges. You can't all be liars, but you CAN all be fed the same Kool Aid from Mother M. Those reps talk mad **** and system admins eat it up like candy. It does NOT make it true. Remember, the one feeding you info is the one selling you the system. Please stop telling people they will go to jail over this. They won't. I mean, come on, the FCC isn't even enforcing anything anymore. When's the last time you got an enforcement agent on the phone? What a joke that process is. The sky isn't falling. The radio gets inhibited, end of story.

Not the end of the story. We did not drink the kool-aid; you don't see it from our end and apparently don't particularly care, but those of us who do this for a living know the harm it can do.

A radio affiliating using an ID that's in use by someone else can wreak havoc by screwing up the affiliation process; the normal user is turned on and affiliates, no problem. The illegal radio turns on and affiliates, and the system thinks the legitimate radio has changed channels; all of a sudden the legitimate radio is hearing and/or talking to stuff it shouldn't be. I've seen it happen, including a couple of times to firefighters in the middle of a working fire. Both times it was a simple ID programming error somewhere in the system footprint that caused the problem, but the result is the same.

The potential risk to the safety of public safety personnel makes this reprehensible behavior; do you want to be the one who causes a firefighter to be injured or die in a fire because your illegal radio screwed things up? Hope you can live with yourself.

phillydjdan

Lmao well thanks for providing me with any evidence to backup your claim that affiliation has led to charges. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. Meanwhile I'll be over here maintaining over 50 NAS radios on my city's system completely undetected (you know, cuz they don't affiliate and all). And by all means, I invite that system admin and the FCC to test the theory on any one of my radios. And just so you know, not everyone uses them to look like po-po. If you were in my area and dealt with the complete lack of performance with scanners, you would understand. But you're not. You didn't spend the hours I did doing research, testing and experimentation only to realize the scanners JUST DON'T WORK HERE. But like I said, keep screaming that the sky is falling lmao

phillydjdan

Guys, guys... I KNOW what a radio that affiliates can do, and I understand the implications if it does. Here's what you're not understanding. Mine don't affiliate. At all. Not once. None. It's possible, you know. I've proven it.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Lmao well thanks for providing me with any evidence to backup your claim that affiliation has led to charges.

You want proof? The cloned radios just scratches the surface of the naughty radio crap these dudes were up to.

Guys, guys... I KNOW what a radio that affiliates can do, and I understand the implications if it does. Here's what you're not understanding. Mine don't affiliate. At all. Not once. None. It's possible, you know. I've proven it.

Until that one time. . .

You obviously don't get it and don't give a damn. I'm done with you.

phillydjdan

That first article cites that the offenders used the radios on encrypted channels... That means they TALKED on the system. That's not merely affiliating.

And that second article is just laughable. Hacking?! Jesus, this isn't War Games, guys. Any decent lawyer will get that thrown out. In fact, neither article mentions any convictions.

But hey, OP, send me a PM. I'll get you back up and running for a small fee ☺️

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's falling on deaf ears. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Getting popped for playing with trunking radios is stupid. As stated, an SDS200 is a fine radio (yes, I own one) and no one ever will run afoul with system admins or anyone for programming or lawfully monitoring with one.

Forewarned is fair warned.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Until that one time. . .

You obviously don't get it and don't give a damn. I'm done with you.
Yup. He doesn't. One can get away with something many, many times. It only takes one time to get popped, and then it's over. Remember he said "the FCC doesn't care"...looks like they did when ol Cameron got popped for playing with his unauthorized trunking radio.

clbsquared

Yup. He doesn't. One can get away with something many, many times. It only takes one time to get popped, and then it's over. Remember he said "the FCC doesn't care"...looks like they did when ol Cameron got popped for playing with his unauthorized trunking radio.
Some folks like it rough. SMH

What's the first rule of Fight Club? .......... Don't talk about Fight Club.

phillydjdan

Except I am doing nothing wrong. No cloned IDs, no affiliations. No transmissions. So how am I going to "get popped"?

phillydjdan

The agency knows I have radios passively monitoring thier system. And anyone with a little knowledge of Google can obtain the system keys needed for any radio system...

clbsquared

LOL. Seriously. That’s the easiest part of the process. But I won’t go into details.

Yes, Gary, I'm aware of how easy it is. I didn't fall off the turnip truck lastnight. LOL That was my point. Knowing an admin isn't going to freely hand out the key, you have to resort to nefarious methods of retrieving one.

phillydjdan

In the end the radio does the same exact thing a scanner does (listens to the control channel without affiliating), so as I said before, as long as the codeplug is setup PROPERLY, what's the difference? Besides better reception, louder speaker, better LSM performance, better battery life, more ruggedness, etc etc... Oh, and not to mention you can buy a used XTL off the internet for under $100 versus the Unication and Uniden products being over $700...

But hey, you do you, I'll do me. As a member of emergency services, I will sleep just fine at night knowing MY radios aren't doing anyone any harm ☺️

K2NEC

FWIW, I have no problem getting the FCC EB on the phone. I am on first name basis with the SE director of enforcement. Got to attend an RFIM class with him. So don't be stupid and give dumb advice.
Since you bring that up, a few of my local ham repeaters are being jammed. Can you help lol? (Just a joke please don't take that the wrong way)

Guys,
This topic has been discussed, disputed, and beaten like a dead horse.
OP's radio is dead. Radio is "crooked". No there isn't anything he can do about it.
IMHO we should just get back to replys related to OP's question otherwise this thread is gonna get shut down.

clbsquared

Since you bring that up, a few of my local ham repeaters are being jammed. Can you help lol? (Just a joke please don't take that the wrong way)

Guys,
This topic has been discussed, disputed, and beaten like a dead horse.
OP's radio is dead. Radio is "crooked". No there isn't anything he can do about it.
IMHO we should just get back to replys related to OP's question otherwise this thread is gonna get shut down.

Pretty sure the OP left like late freight after his second comment. But I agree. This topic and discussion is cyclical. There will be another post just like it in a few days and the arguments for and against it will continue again. Perhaps with different people but the result will be the same.

I make a motion to close discussions in this thread. Do I have a second?

phillydjdan

Actually, his radio is NOT cooked and there IS something that can be done about it. Just not by someone inexperienced, which is what I initially told him. If he is interested, I can help him get back on track. Ad I stated a few posts ago, if he is still monitoring the thread, if he sends me a PM I can talk it over with him.

phillydjdan

Did I say "he"? Nope, I said "can be done". I didn't imply by who specifically. But, I really don't care if y'all close the thread. If he PMs me fine, if not, he can continue to admire is pretty paperweight. *Shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.