• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Hello all,

I just acquired a used XTL5000 high power with a W5 head. Prior to getting this radio, it was in service and recently reprogrammed. When I received the radio, I had plans on switching to a W3 head. I bought the power cable, accessory cable (for the ignition sense and speaker,) wired everything up and cannot get my radio to read. I am using a Panasonic CF-29 with Windows XP (XTS software installed that works fine) and have used both the HKN6184 cable and the HKN6160. From my understanding, the HKN6160 ONLY does the mid power and the HKN6184 does both high and mid power.

Now, I'm new to the XTL line of radios but definitely not new to programming APX/XTS/Astro spectra.
My first question is: Do I need the W5 head hooked to the radio in order to program it? I wasn't given a cable to connect the head to the radio so I'm trying to read the radio without having to dish out money for a cable I'll never use.

Second, I have played around with the COM ports/USB ports with no luck. I continue to receive error code c0000386 as well as c0000343. I have attempted to search all over the internet and haven't yet found a solution.

I tried another computer running Windows XP as well with no success.

At this point, I'm baffled. I've run into communication errors in the past but have had problems with COM ports/cables. Nothing of which I have been able to pinpoint with this situation.

I have an HKN6183 on the way and hopefully will be here next week. At this point, I guess I'll continue with the install in my vehicle, hopefully not in disappointment.

Best regards and many thanks ahead of time,
Dan

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Are you supplying the necessary B+ on the J2 connector? The radio should read without a control head, but it must have a TIB installed IIRC.

When using a USB cable, you will know immediately if you have a connection to the radio, as inserting the USB or connecting the radio should result in the Windows hardware/driver wizard appearing along with a sound (unless disabled) that the driver is loading. It will then show up as a connected device in the Windows device manager.

If you aren't getting that far, then your radio is not getting correct B+ where it wants it, or something is wrong with your wiring.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
As far as the J2 connection goes, I only have pins in slots 1, 4, 5, 10, 11, 14, 15, 20, 25, and 26. So if what I'm finding is correct about the B+ being in slot 2, then no, it is not present. That is the cable I received from one of my coworkers who had success programming the mid power. Again, I believe this cable is not the correct one as far as the high power goes. I can look at my other ignition sense/speaker J2 connector and see if that has the pin 2.

I do have the TIB installed. It is the TIB for the W style heads.

The USB cable did make noise on my laptop one time that I can remember; however, I can't recall what settings I had and how I had things set up. Now when I connect it, I get nothing. Possibly because of the lack of the B+?

My wiring powers up my Astro Spectra (power cable and ignition sense) so I don't see any problems there.

Dan

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The USB cable did make noise on my laptop one time that I can remember; however, I can't recall what settings I had and how I had things set up. Now when I connect it, I get nothing. Possibly because of the lack of the B+?

With no B+, the radio is "asleep" and thus, the USB cable won't be recognized by Windows to load the appropriate device driver.

You've got to make the radio "wake up" and the only way to do that is to get power to the J2 connector where it wants it.

You'll know you're in business when you hear Windows give you that magic sound.

W0JJK

XTL5000 uses a different interconnect board for the W3.

The W4,W5,W7, and W9 share a common one and changes that in the CPS.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Okay, that makes sense. So what happens if I use a serial cable? Will I have the same issue? Or is it just a problem with USB cables?

As far as the interconnect board, I have looked into that a little bit but don't want to pull the plug on it if I can't get it to work. What about changing the radio to an O3 head? Would I still need a different interconnect board? I understand changing the TIB and flex connect but would anything else be required other than changing the head in CPS?

I planned on going to an O3 head eventually, I just wasn't planning on it being this soon. However, if that means not having to do anything other than changing the TIB and flex, I'm all for it. I've read several forum posts about going from say a W4 or W3 to an O3 or O5 with nothing but an O5 parts kit and the O3 head.

Just trying to figure out options with this thing. If all goes well, I'll probably be searching for another similar radio for our radio room at work. PD and FD have their own respective radios in there (in the event of having to set up a secondary dispatch or command center) but we lack our own radio.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Alright well, I'm still outta luck. Got the serial cable in the mail and still no luck on two different computers. So my guess is B+ still needs to be powered.

Any ideas how to do this? I haven't seen much literature or forum posts on it.

Best regards,
Dan

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
That doesn't help at all since I don't have the O style TIB. My TIB is the W style and the only power leads I have is my regular power cable and my ignition sense. Plus it's high power.

The only other thing I can think of is getting the cable that has the yellow and red wire for the O5 control head and plug the red wire in to 12v. I've got the O style TIB ordered with an O3 head, so I can give that a shot if you think that would work.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
All,

Just wanted to give a quick update. I ordered a control head cable for the W5 and hooked up the cables in the appropriate fashion. Radio powered on and voila, the USB cable worked. I was able to read/write the radio and now I wait for the high power flex to arrive. The O3 head and TIB arrived and will soon be installed. Thank you to everyone who helped!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.