• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 Affiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilz311

First off, yes I am an authorized user for this system...

I have two portables for work, an MTS2000 and an XTS2500. I have my MTS2000 set to affiliate only on PTT. The only reason for this is when it searches for a tower while on my desk, it screws with my computer speakers. It's just an annoyance, nothing really else.

I tried doing the same in the CPS for my XTS2500, and the only option is Automatic, there's no PTT option... Checking the help file states "SmartZone radios can ONLY auto-affiliate..."

Is this not an option with the XTS2500?

FYI, this is an analog-only Type II SmartZone.

fineshot1

First off, yes I am an authorized user for this system...

I have two portables for work, an MTS2000 and an XTS2500. I have my MTS2000 set to affiliate only on PTT. The only reason for this is when it searches for a tower while on my desk, it screws with my computer speakers. It's just an annoyance, nothing really else.

I tried doing the same in the CPS for my XTS2500, and the only option is Automatic, there's no PTT option... Checking the help file states "SmartZone radios can ONLY auto-affiliate..."

Is this not an option with the XTS2500?

FYI, this is an analog-only Type II SmartZone.

Per the XTS2500 CPS help file - see below:

Affiliation Type
(Trunking System, Type II)

The CPS retrieves and allows you to view-only the communication connective mode to the Central Controller for the current Trunking System.

When the Systems Type field is set to "Type II".

Automatic: The radio immediately affiliates with the Central Controller on a Talkgroup/channel change. This is only true when a selected Talkgroup does not match the last affiliated Talkgroup.

Note:

SMARTZone radios must use "Automatic" affiliation. SMARTZone radios always affiliate on power-up and on site switches in addition to affiliating on Talkgroup changes.

NOTE: If your talking about the Ocean County Smart Zone system it is not an analog only
but a mixed mode system.

Devilz311

That's the same thing I read in the help file. I was just wondering why the XTS is different than the MTS in the way they can affiliate.

I just noticed the 3 digital TG's... For what myself and mostly everyone else on the system uses, it's predominantly Analog.

fineshot1

That's the same thing I read in the help file. I was just wondering why the XTS is different than the MTS in the way they can affiliate.

probably moto's way of giving the trunk system admins more system security
by forcing a later generation of radio gear to auto affiliate and be detected but
of course there are ways around it.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
SmartZone requires auto-affiliation so that the system controller can steer the traffic groups to your radio that you have it set to monitor.

Incidentally, you CAN set up any radio including an XTS or APX to scan even a SmartZone system without affiliation, if you do it by setting the radio up to scan trunked talkgroups while set on a conventional channel. This works every time.

BUT...if the talkgroup in question has not been directed to the site you're monitoring, you won't hear anything.

Elroy

RKG

I don't see anything nefarious here. The issue is that a lot of folks did not understand the necessity of affiliation with a SmartZone system -- without it, the system does not know that Radio X is trying to listen to Talkgroup X on Site (Zone) Z. If it turns out that Radio X is the only one selected up on Talkgroup X on Site Z -- or that anyone else so selected is also non-affiliated, then no Talkgroup X traffic originated on other Sites will be passed on Site Z. If Radio X is brass, he complains to (or about) the radio guy, who then complains to Motorola.

Affiliation was optional with SmartNet and SmartNet II, and non-existent with Privacy Plus, but those systems are pretty much legacy now (or distant memories) and a lot of people migrated to SmartZone without fully understanding how it works. Motorola's solution was to force affiliation as a way of forcing people to do what they should have done anyhow and, in the process, eliminating one set of recurrent complaints.

station32

you can set up tx inhibit and it affiliate. Just if you change the channel you will have to take it off tx in so the system will work properly in the radio works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.