• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 FPP setup with CPS

Scannerham62

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I purchased a Motorola XTS2500i, the "BN" version,, (not "AN"), Host Version 12.00.01 with Q52 present in the flashcode. Q53 is NOT in the flashcode. My CPS version is 20.01.00. The seller said the Q52 will give me FPP, (Front Panel Programming).
In the CPS it does show up in the features list and is an option on the Zone channel assignment, (FPP / Protection), however when I hover over the FPP Enable checkbox in Zone channel #1 I cannot click it. I get the "glasses" icon indicating read only. Additionally FPP is not available to put in the display menu.

I understand in conventional mode the FPP enable is supposed to populate 16 FPP channels in the Zone and create an additional 16 Conventional personality's, one for each FPP channel.
I cant get the CPS to do that because I cant click on the FPP Enable checkbox.

Not sure what's wrong here. Am I supposed to have Q52 AND Q53? Anybody have any experience getting FPP set up from the CPS so you can use it from the front keypad please fill me in.

I'm all ears...........

Tom - N1UXA

Scannerham62

Premium Subscriber
I checked with the seller today and he said he will reflash the radio with Q52 AND Q53. I hope this is correct for firmware version 12.

Question: Is there another place I need to enable / program FPP other than the first Zone Channel assignment and the Display menu section?

Somebody out there must have set up their own FPP in Astro 25 CPS.

Scannerham62

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info however did you need to access anything else besides the first Zone Channel assignment and the Display menu section?

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
For reference, here is a working (FPP) XTS2500 opearting on FW 20.50.09 with FC 520081-001304-0

Regarding that flash code, if ADP was removed and replaced with Hardware multikey, what other options if any would be needed?

wgbecks

Thanks for the info however did you need to access anything else besides the first Zone Channel assignment and the Display menu section?

All that's required once the proper flash options have been installed is to add FPP to the Menu. Otherwise, normal CPS operations
apply to normal radio programming tasks. Keep in mind that you'll must preset set Astro mode on conventional personalities using
CPS before FPP will permit changing between Analog or Digital modes for channels associated with said personalities.

Display & Menu.png

wgbecks

Regarding that flash code, if ADP was removed and replaced with Hardware multikey, what other options if any would be needed?
No other flash options are required. In fact, you can even retain the Software ADP Encryption option but it won't be functional
once you've switched to Hardware Type in the Secure Configuration. The UCM would have to have the ADP Algo added to be
able to continue to utilize ADP encryption.

With Hardware Multikey Encryption, W/WO OTAR, as a minimum, you will want to include KEY and KSET into your menu items in
addition to building your Secure Multikey Lists.

Secure Configuration.pngDisplay & Menu.png

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The radio requires a UCM to make use of Hardware encryption. If it doesn't have a UCM, it will be easier to find a XTS2500 that already has the UCM, then trying to find a UCM and adding it. You will also have to ensure the UCM has the algorithms you require.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
The radio requires a UCM to make use of Hardware encryption. If it doesn't have a UCM, it will be easier to find a XTS2500 that already has the UCM, then trying to find a UCM and adding it. You will also have to ensure the UCM has the algorithms you require.
My XTS2500s are AES-256 equipped. It was my understanding that the 2500 did not have an add-on removable UCM, unlike the XTL5000 which used the same module as the XTL...(forget model). Either the 2500 had secure from the factory or it didn't, no adding after the fact.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
If you had Q53 by itself you would need the side dongle to make FPP work. Q52 and 53 together in the FC removes the hardware requirement.

You can add encryption after the fact with a 2500. It's a PIA to install, not cheap, and now difficult to find as a single board. I've updated a bunch in 700/800 MHz models.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Ahh and that's probably why folks say it can't be done, because it's not economical or readily available like a $20 module off ebay.

I'll look into the FC. Thanks

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
My XTS2500s are AES-256 equipped. It was my understanding that the 2500 did not have an add-on removable UCM, unlike the XTL5000 which used the same module as the XTL...(forget model). Either the 2500 had secure from the factory or it didn't, no adding after the fact
If they have AES, then why doesn't the flash have Hardware encryption? I would be very suspicious if you bought them with only software ADP, that they have a UCM.

prcguy

If you had Q53 by itself you would need the side dongle to make FPP work. Q52 and 53 together in the FC removes the hardware requirement.

You can add encryption after the fact with a 2500. It's a PIA to install, not cheap, and now difficult to find as a single board. I've updated a bunch in 700/800 MHz models.
You can stick the keypad from a Marine contract PRC-153 into a 2500 and it will have AES. These keypads show up on fleabay now and then for about $35. I have a bunch of PRC-153 UHF 2500s with FPP and AES plus a VHF 2500 that had the keypad added to get AES.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
If they have AES, then why doesn't the flash have Hardware encryption? I would be very suspicious if you bought them with only software ADP, that they have a UCM.
Now that I read back, I have no idea why asking about removing ADP. I don't have it in my FC. I have otak multi. I think I was looking at the screenshot above my original post, saw ADP, was totally thinking of something else and a question popped in my head. As this threat progressed, I completely lost the question that I didn't need to ask. But I did have a legit question, I just forget what it was.

And this kids is why drugs are bad 😂

... or trying to think of technical things before 9:00am

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You can stick the keypad from a Marine contract PRC-153 into a 2500 and it will have AES. These keypads show up on fleabay now and then for about $35. I have a bunch of PRC-153 UHF 2500s with FPP and AES plus a VHF 2500 that had the keypad added to get AES.

If you want to deal with the literally non-existent backlighting or attempt to replace the LED's, sure. But they are still difficult to find when compared to the UCM's for the XTS 5K, that are widely available in many flavors, unless you want to buy a complete radio and attempt to remove the board if you are changing bands. I've done about 30 fresh installs, mostly in 700/800 and a few in VHF. They are a great package when well equipped. :cool:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
There is no flash for Hardware Encryption. Once you put the board in and check Hardware in Secure Wide he only gets to point to a single key.
The flash your thinking of is "Multi-Key" or "OTAR with Multi-Key" and that would allow of the use of multiple encryption keys and access whatever algo's are on the board.

N4KVE

I have some of these exact FPP 2500’s. From Moto they were flashed with multi key. But I got them updated to also do software ADP. Since I don’t own a KVL, I can still program the ADP key with my laptop should the need arise, & set encryption to software. I use FC 560001-001104-5.

Scannerham62

Premium Subscriber
Getting back to the original topic of this thread I now know the following:

You MUST have both Q52 and Q53 for it to work.

As far as programming it in the CPS:

First you enable FPP as a display menu option in the DISPLAY - MENU area of the CPS
Then you simply create CHANNELS in the ZONE CHANNEL ASSIGNMENT area of the CPS. They can be just the default channels that appear when you add a new channel. They can all be assigned to one Conventional personality.
That's all you have to do! Once they are available in the zone you can change everything from the keypad with the FPP option.
The FPP ENABLE option in the ZONE CHANNEL ASSIGNMENT menu never gets checked and doesn't need to be. In fact, you can't check that box. You get the "glasses".

It works good for me now.

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
hello, guys question i have just picked up a 2500 prc-153 with FPP and have problems trying to read the radio. i use astro 25 and have many ribs for older models. i hope what i got in the mail today (RKN4105) Blue max cable. I'm I getting close to doing it right. i tried using usb to serial cable to the radio and could get it to work. i also have xts 300 that i used it with and it didn't work// appreciate you guys. getting old and downsizing my uhf Kenwood ht's and mototurbo 6380, 6580is, with new impress batteries.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
i hope what i got in the mail today (RKN4105) Blue max cable.
Which cable is it? The BlueMax is NOT a true USB cable, as it has USB-Serial converter built into the cable. You won't be able to choose 'USB' in CPS to program or read, you will need to determine the correct COM port. The genuine Motorola cable is true USB, and has an additional connector for service uses.

3000 is a completely different animal, an ASTRO radio, not ASTRO25 - and the pinout is different on the connector, so it will not work.