• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 FPP setup with CPS

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
well here's my inventory. Blue max RKN4105 FTDI USB SERIAL PROGRAMMING cable. Four pin with a 9 pin female connector.
another Five pin that connects to the HT. USB TO 9 PIN serial converter and MAXTON model RPC-MRIB FOR SABER HT1000.

Attachments

• 43XTS2500MIL.jpg
    43XTS2500MIL.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 19

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Yeah, what knocked me off course was the Moto part number on a cable that is nothing like it. At all.

The BlueMax should just work, might need to investigate which COM port is being assigned then matching up in CPS when you read.
FTDI Ser-USB generally is P&P. Add: BlueMax is pretty good about support, might want to ask them if you still have issues.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, what knocked me off course was the Moto part number on a cable that is nothing like it. At all.

The BlueMax should just work, might need to investigate which COM port is being assigned then matching up in CPS when you read.
FTDI Ser-USB generally is P&P. Add: BlueMax is pretty good about support, might want to ask them if you still have issues.
thanks again. what setup do you use for the xts3000.
73's

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
The Jedi/HT1000/XTS3000 cable will not work for the ASTRO25 series. It plugs in, but different electronics in it. You need one for an XTS1500/2500/5000 nor do you use a rib.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
73's
I found out the hard way btw 3000 and 2500, same connector on the radio but not on the cable. 3000 has 4 pins and 2500 has 5 in the connector.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
73's
CAN anyone tell me how many pins are in the programming cable for an xts5000. also, can anyone tell me how to turn on the display for an xts2500prc153? i' vision impaired and can't see anything on the screen without a flashlight. I've tried everything i have seen in the software.
Last thing what am i missing when it says in the display empty list. Thanks all.. 73's

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Until someone with the cable in front of them posts, I can tell you that in for-sale listings, the XTS5000 cables have 6 pins while the XTS3000 cables have 4 pins.

scfd4

Zip tie technician
CAN anyone tell me how many pins are in the programming cable for an xts5000. also, can anyone tell me how to turn on the display for an xts2500prc153? i' vision impaired and can't see anything on the screen without a flashlight. I've tried everything i have seen in the software.
Last thing what am i missing when it says in the display empty list. Thanks all.. 73's
The xts2500/prc153 was purposely made with a very dimly lit backlight as to not blind operators while looking at the screen through nvg’s. You can change the resistors on the board if you know how, otherwise you’ll have to find someone to do it for you.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
Until someone with the cable in front of them posts, I can tell you that in for-sale listings, the XTS5000 cables have 6 pins while the XTS3000 cables have 4 pins.
and i see 2500 has 5..lol

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
The xts2500/prc153 was purposely made with a very dimly lit backlight as to not blind operators while looking at the screen through nvg’s. You can change the resistors on the board if you know how, otherwise you’ll have to find someone to do it for you.
well, thanks. i see the picture that was posted do you know what value they are?. i don't know why but I tried to log in to my Motorola Solutions
to try to ask some more questions. but can't get to the right place. I have so many questions on my list. but guys have answered a lot of them.
thanks

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info however did you need to access anything else besides the first Zone Channel assignment and the Display menu section?
I think I'm going to add all my Q's in here might help. all would learn some.

scfd4

Zip tie technician
well, thanks. i see the picture that was posted do you know what value they are?. i don't know why but I tried to log in to my Motorola Solutions
to try to ask some more questions. but can't get to the right place. I have so many questions on my list. but guys have answered a lot of them.
thanks
I think you’ll find this pretty helpful,

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
The Jedi/HT1000/XTS3000 cable will not work for the ASTRO25 series. It plugs in, but different electronics in it. You need one for an XTS1500/2500/5000 nor do you use a rib.
I have xts 3000 4pin serial, xts 2500III 5pin usb. now am i looking for a 6pin for 5000II?. ON eBay I show a Bluemax 4105 as i have but it's a 5pin..? this one shows 6pin it looks like, and is serial 9pin.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
I think you’ll find this pretty helpful,

this is the answer i was waiting for from the seller what do you think?. The part that controls the display backlight is the keypad, which also houses the AES encryption board. So swapping out the keypad for a standard keypad will result in a brighter backlight but you will lose the AES encryption, unless you find a standard keypad with AES. any comments?.

N4KVE

this is the answer i was waiting for from the seller what do you think?. The part that controls the display backlight is the keypad, which also houses the AES encryption board. So swapping out the keypad for a standard keypad will result in a brighter backlight but you will lose the AES encryption, unless you find a standard keypad with AES. any comments?.
This is correct.

prcguy

Or you can swap out the resistors as in this video or pay someone to do it.

BTW I met and chatted with W9CR at Dayton this year, very nice and informative guy.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
Or you can swap out the resistors as in this video or pay someone to do it.

BTW I met and chatted with W9CR at Dayton this year, very nice and informative guy.
i think my best bet is to send it into Bryan w9cr? the fantastic video kept me from making a big mistake.

k8ble

Premium Subscriber
If you had Q53 by itself you would need the side dongle to make FPP work. Q52 and 53 together in the FC removes the hardware requirement.

You can add encryption after the fact with a 2500. It's a PIA to install, not cheap, and now difficult to find as a single board. I've updated a bunch in 700/800 MHz models.
question: i have a xts 5000II coming and need to know if i can take an 800mhz xts5000 III and switch the keypad into the xts 5000II.
were can i find all the features list. i'm interested what Q99 does. thanks