• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyabor

I newly have 5 used xts 3000 I think they programmed for FRS GMRS right now. I use them for communication between trucks, the distance doesn't see to go too far. Is there a way that I can program them so that they use a repeater system. I know that my national guard unit uses a similar radio that is able to talk for 100s of miles I don't know the system that it uses.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
With an FCC $70 GMRS license for you and your family (No test and good for 10 years), you can use the XTS3000 at full power on specific GMRS frequencies. It also permits you to use local GMRS repeaters that are "open" for people to use. Sometimes, permission is required. It is not necessarily a "free-for-all", as someone paid for the repeater equipment and upkeep. myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory is a site to review and find repeaters that may be in your area once you are licensed.

Additionally, external antennas on your trucks will help dramatically for simplex use (radio-to-radio), versus using the handheld radio inside the vehicle. Even a GMRS frequency tuned magnet mount antenna in the middle of the roof will offer much improvement. You may need adapters though to connect each XTS3000 to the antenna coaxial cable.

JCunningham17

im useing a XTS3000 version 1 on a repeater. you can set it up to use DPL or TPL tones. you need the Astro Saber CPS to do it.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I newly have 5 used xts 3000 I think they programmed for FRS GMRS right now. I use them for communication between trucks, the distance doesn't see to go too far. Is there a way that I can program them so that they use a repeater system. I know that my national guard unit uses a similar radio that is able to talk for 100s of miles I don't know the system that it uses.
Your best bet would be to get your GMRS license and use a local repeater if you have one. If you don't then you'll have to upgrade to a mobile radio with more power with an external antenna (A 5/8 wave would work best for simplex) for the best results. As far as your question about what system the national guard uses and since I don't know where you are located so I can't tell you with certainty but they are most likely using some sort of trunked radio system. In simple terms a trunked radio system is several different repeaters on different towers spread over a certain area (ex. county, region, state, ect) that are all linked together for wide area radio coverage.

cyabor

Your best bet would be to get your GMRS license and use a local repeater if you have one. If you don't then you'll have to upgrade to a mobile radio with more power with an external antenna (A 5/8 wave would work best for simplex) for the best results. As far as your question about what system the national guard uses and since I don't know where you are located so I can't tell you with certainty but they are most likely using some sort of trunked radio system. In simple terms a trunked radio system is several different repeaters on different towers spread over a certain area (ex. county, region, state, ect) that are all linked together for wide area radio coverage.
In order to use a trunked radio system what would I need (kinds of radios and permission from the owner)?

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
In order to use a trunked radio system what would I need (kinds of radios and permission from the owner)?
There are many types of trunked radio systems that operate on different radio bands. Unless you are employed by or otherwise affiliated with the user of a particular system (and who is willing to allow you to use it), you would likely have to pay a monthly fee for the use of a local commercial system. In either case, you'd need to contact the system owners/operators for specific information as to the particular types of radios that are compatible with the radio system.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
There are many types of trunked radio systems that operate on different radio bands. Unless you are employed by or otherwise affiliated with the user of a particular system (and who is willing to allow you to use it), you would likely have to pay a monthly fee for the use of a local commercial system. In either case, you'd need to contact the system owners/operators for specific information as to the particular types of radios that are compatible with the radio system.
I agree with cheif21, unless you are employed by the agency that owns the system or they are willing to let you use it then you would be better off paying the subscription fee on a commercial trunked system but 9/10 times the commercial systems are either using DMR or NXDN so your XTS 3000 won't work. Plus the 3000's aren't compatible with the newer P25 P2 public safety systems that most agencies are upgrading to. I just remembered to ask how far are you wanting to communicate on a regular basis? That will help us to recommend what equipment and/or infrastructure will fit your needs.

FireJustin

Understanding what part of the country you are in might also help with recommendations. If you are uncomfortable sharing that in public, feel free to pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.