• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTS5000 Programming 700 MHz - shows up red and error

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Hello,

I am trying to program some 700 MHz band frequencies (to monitor/scan) into my XTS5000. However, the program shows the RCV and TX frequency as red (as an error). I want it to be RCV only (I know how to to that), but I read in previous posts I need to put in the TX frequency first, the proper deviation (I set it to 2.5 kHz, but regardless the setting I get the same problem), and then set it to RCV only mode.

I am not sure what I am missing. I have read as many posts as I can find on the subject (not many; one of them shows the questions and some advice, the the OP says he figured it out but doesn't say what he did to fix it), watched a YouTube tutorial, and followed the advice on all of them, but still cannot seem to enter in any 700 MHz frequencies. Oh, and yes, I checked at the post-test, the radio is 700/800 MHz. By the way, 800 MHz band frequencies don't present this problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I'm guessing you're trying to put in the LAFD 700 tacs?

What happened is you most likely entered an out-of-band TX freq. The offset for 700mhz is 30 mhz instead of 45 mhz.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Also note that the ASTRO 25 (XTL/XTS) and APX series are not capable of receiving the 700/800 MHz inputs, therefore 799-817 are invalid values in the Receive Frequency field.

merlin

It took me over 2 months to solve the riddles of 700 Mhz P25 programming.
Besides things noted above, there are many other 'just as important' things. IE: for my system and site//
1> took 4 Astro 25 channel IDs with their offsets (screenshot 1)
2> define the site control channel and 2 alternate control channels.
3> setup your talkgroups(channels) entered as hexadecimal. (screenshot 2)
4> Enter ALL of your zone/channel assignments. For NAS scanning, make the first 16 channels 'conventional' with their related conventional personality. (screenshot 3)
5> now you can set up your scan list in any manner you like. ( "ZONE" "CHANNEL" the rest of each line should populate itself) (screenshot 4). Now you tick receive only.
For reassurance the radio won't try to affiliate, program the rotary switch for TX inhibit.
Best you start with just 1 site as this won't be expected to work the first time (or several)
Get one site working, you can add to that later.
Put on a pot of coffee, have some aspirin handy and good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot (240).png
    Screenshot (240).png
    113.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot (241).png
    Screenshot (241).png
    196.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot (244).png
    Screenshot (244).png
    199 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot (243).png
    Screenshot (243).png
    82.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

merlin

I'm guessing you're trying to put in the LAFD 700 tacs?

What happened is you most likely entered an out-of-band TX freq. The offset for 700mhz is 30 mhz instead of 45 mhz.
Cant forget about base frequencies either -45 Mhz/ 851.00625 = +30 Mhz /762.00625 = +30 Mhz/764.0125
= +0.9000 Mhz/ 156.4750
in my case, these must be exact as posted or the radio simply does not work with my site.
800 Mhz systems are 'EASY' because they are standardized.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It took me over 2 months to solve the riddles of 700 Mhz P25 programming.
Besides things noted above, there are many other 'just as important' things. IE: for my system and site//
1> took 4 Astro 25 channel IDs with their offsets (screenshot 1)
2> define the site control channel and 2 alternate control channels.
3> setup your talkgroups(channels) entered as hexadecimal. (screenshot 2)
4> Enter ALL of your zone/channel assignments. For NAS scanning, make the first 16 channels 'conventional' with their related conventional personality. (screenshot 3)
5> now you can set up your scan list in any manner you like. ( "ZONE" "CHANNEL" the rest of each line should populate itself) (screenshot 4). Now you tick receive only.
For reassurance the radio won't try to affiliate, program the rotary switch for TX inhibit.
Best you start with just 1 site as this won't be expected to work the first time (or several)
Get one site working, you can add to that later.
Put on a pot of coffee, have some aspirin handy and good luck.
He's trying to program conventional frequencies, not trunking...none of this applies.

merlin

Well, my bad, nothing said about non trunking and what 700 Mhz stuff in SoCal is all P25 p1 and p2.
That means programming like P25. Even conventional would have to be programmed the same way, just exclude the trunking and NAS stuff.
A far cheaper PR 400 could fill that bill

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, my bad, nothing said about non trunking and what 700 Mhz stuff in SoCal is all P25 p1 and p2.
That means programming like P25.
A far cheaper PR 400 could fill that bill
He specifically noted setting the TX deviation to 2.5 kHz...that's conventional, not trunking.

Not all P25 is trunked. There is plenty of P25 FDMA (aka Phase I) that is conventional.

merlin

He specifically noted setting the TX deviation to 2.5 kHz...that's conventional, not trunking.

Not all P25 is trunked. There is plenty of P25 FDMA (aka Phase I) that is conventional.
P25 p2 uses 2 slots at 2.5 Khz.
Basically double the channels for bandwidth.

merlin

Are you seriously trying to explain how P25 works to me? You ever hear the expression "I've forgotten more than you know"? Good grief. o_O
Yes after your remark in previous post.
Wouldn't matter you developed, and perfected P25, I respect your knowledge. Now for hardware and link layer, Surely I have forgotten more than you may ever know.
No offense here.

Status
Not open for further replies.