Yaesu FT-857D

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_strong

I'm trying to get my FT-857D setup for use on HF SSB does anyone have a good starting point for the menu settings. I just upgraded from tech to general and want to start working some DX . I have looked through the owners manual and cannot locate this information.

jhooten

Both of my 857s are the way they came out of the box. People who know me say I sound like me and I get good signal reports from those whom I have not met in person. Could I tweak it and make it better? Maybe, but I am of the if it ain't broke don't fix it school.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I have two Ft-857's... What's to set up? What specifically are you looking for?

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
KB2LJJ Radio Mods Database

You might have low frequency response in SSB mode. I noticed that my rig had unfavorable audio using a 4" external speaker (the speaker in the rig is about useless). I changed my settings in Menu Mode 015 to +300Hz, and now it sounds great (receive audio). I didn't change the USB receive much, only +40Hz (menu 017).

Otherwise, out of the box settings work for me.

Last edited:

d_strong

I was just wondering how good the default settings worked on HF. I have only used this radio for 2 meter and 440 in the past.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I was just wondering how good the default settings worked on HF. I have only used this radio for 2 meter and 440 in the past.

They work just fine. You shouldn't have to change anything just to get it to work.

D

DaveNF2G

Mic gain might need to be adjusted if your voice is exceptionally strong (or weak). Other than that, I use mine with original settings and it works great.

Oh, I almost forgot... The 857's CLARifier is the same as what other manufacturers call RIT (Receiver Incremental Tuning). If you get into a conversation with other hams about it, now you will know. :)

GSPD

Any time you want some input from the local guys on HF, check into the net listed below. I posted this back awhile ago and would love to hear that FT-857 on the air! It's the ROC City Net, very informal and a good bunch of guys. An excellent time to test it out.....

I wanted to pass along a new local HF net that started last night (Wednesday) in the Rochester NY area. The originator and net control operator is K2QZR. It's an informal rag chew net that'll be held Wednesdays at 8:00pm EST on 3.825.00. Feel free to check it out and introduce yourself. It would be great to hear some check-ins from amateur operators from RR.

D

DaveNF2G

I will check that frequency. Maybe I can at least hear you guys from here.

Locally, we have a nightly roundtable on 28.400 at 19:00 EST.

W7ML

SSB stepping frequency using the SELECT knob

For some reason, when I use the SELECT knob to change the SSB frequency, it steps in DOUBLE the amount of the Menu-082 setting: i.e., 2, 5 & 10 KHz instead of the actual amount listed in Menu-082.

I am in VFOa and usually have MFp set so that I can activate DNR when I need it.

This now happens on all HF bands, whether it is set for USB or LSB. I want to be able to go back to 1 KHz stepping...

Any thoughts?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
For some reason, when I use the SELECT knob to change the SSB frequency, it steps in DOUBLE the amount of the Menu-082 setting: i.e., 2, 5 & 10 KHz instead of the actual amount listed in Menu-082.

Momentarily press the power button until the little 'running man' icon on the display disappears. Doing that toggles the radio into doubling the selected step rate.

Wholeo1955

I am in VFOa and usually have MFp set so that I can activate DNR when I need it.

This now happens on all HF bands, whether it is set for USB or LSB. I want to be able to go back to 1 KHz stepping...

Any thoughts?
look in the menu for the word fast, its what you are more than likely looking for !

Status
Not open for further replies.