Yaesu: Yaesu Ftm400-xdr. B memory can't hear anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhernan488

Hello, I am new to this radio. I am using APRS on B, I have the setting to mute APRS sounds. But it completely mutes every channel I have saved on the bottom screen. Is there a way just to mute APRS and still have non muted memory's?

Jhernan488

What about the Speaker settings?
Speaker settings? It works, just not on b memory when APRS mute is on. I want to mute the APRS digital noise, but not my other memory channels on b. The overall mute setting is not on, just APRS mute .

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I am using APRS on B, I have the setting to mute APRS sounds. But it completely mutes every channel I have saved on the bottom screen. Is there a way just to mute APRS and still have non muted memory's?
I'm not much into APRS, so bear with me here... When using APRS on the B band, would that prevent you from any other use of the B band, such as using another B band memory channel or scanning several B band channels? Has it worked properly for you previously, or is this a new APRS set-up? I've heard complaints on another list (different model radio) from users that completely lose other functions on the B band when APRS is active. Is this to be expected?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Playing with my 400DR turning MODEM ON will enable APRS MUTE functionality. If MODEM ON and APRS MUTE ON then all audio on B is muted. The exception may be VOICE ALERT, but that is more difficult to test unless the other operator has turned his on. In the US the APRS frequency has been established by agreement, but I believe the radio manufactures assume any frequency could be used. The result is muting all for any frequency and transmitting a beacon when sitting on a repeater frequency. I think the best approach to APRS is a committed use and exclude it from scanning on B side with MODEM OFF.

Jhernan488

Are you using an external speaker? The radio uses a stereo output (band A and band B). Plugging in a mono speaker mutes band B.
bb

mono plug
I am not using an external speaker. (It's on the way, and I do have the adapter ) but what I did, is turned off APRS mute, and I just turn the volume down. Now when I want to tune to other memory's, I just turn the volume up...

Jhernan488

I'm not much into APRS, so bear with me here... When using APRS on the B band, would that prevent you from any other use of the B band, such as using another B band memory channel or scanning several B band channels? Has it worked properly for you previously, or is this a new APRS set-up? I've heard complaints on another list (different model radio) from users that completely lose other functions on the B band when APRS is active. Is this to be expected?
This is my first time ever using APRS... You can have other memory's programed. What I did, is turn APRS mute off, then i just turn down the volume till I go to a different memory.

Jhernan488

Playing with my 400DR turning MODEM ON will enable APRS MUTE functionality. If MODEM ON and APRS MUTE ON then all audio on B is muted. The exception may be VOICE ALERT, but that is more difficult to test unless the other operator has turned his on. In the US the APRS frequency has been established by agreement, but I believe the radio manufactures assume any frequency could be used. The result is muting all for any frequency and transmitting a beacon when sitting on a repeater frequency. I think the best approach to APRS is a committed use and exclude it from scanning on B side with MODEM OFF.
So I just turned APRS mute off, then turn the volume down, then I can just turn it up if I go to another memory. I have the APRS frequency saved on b. Is this what you mean, saving the frequency in the memory, or is there a setting to establish APRS frequency in the menu? I have to have modem on to tx the beacon. Otherwise it won't let me turn the smart or auto function on...

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
So I just turned APRS mute off, then turn the volume down, then I can just turn it up if I go to another memory. I have the APRS frequency saved on b. Is this what you mean, saving the frequency in the memory, or is there a setting to establish APRS frequency in the menu? I have to have modem on to tx the beacon. Otherwise it won't let me turn the smart or auto function on...
But note that if modem especially and beacon setting is left on, it will beacon on any frequency you are on. So modem must be turned off before switching to another frequency but 144.39. Far too many people fail to do this and start beaconing on simplex, repeaters without tone.

Jhernan488

But note that if modem especially and beacon setting is left on, it will beacon on any frequency you are on. So modem must be turned off before switching to another frequency but 144.39. Far too many people fail to do this and start beaconing on simplex, repeaters without tone.
Totally makes sense. I planned on turning it off when I plan on changing frequency's.

Status
Not open for further replies.