Yaesu: Yaesu repeater programming

SwampRatt

Radio is Yaesu 991a.
I was programming local repeaters today and encountered one with different uplink and downlink tones.
I can’t find out how to enter 2 different tone frequencies.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You don't need to program the receive tone into your radio. Having a receive tone may be helpful if you have local interference on the repeater's output frequency, but try it without the tone first.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I can’t find out how to enter 2 different tone frequencies.
After quickly reviewing the operators manual for the 991a, it appears as if there is no ability to do split (different) tones. I have noticed that this ability is missing from many Yaesu and other amateur VHF/UHF radios, but is common on most commercial radios. I wonder why?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
After quickly reviewing the operators manual for the 991a, it appears as if there is no ability to do split (different) tones. I have noticed that this ability is missing from many Yaesu and other amateur VHF/UHF radios, but is common on most commercial radios. I wonder why?
Yea, this is a problem, especially for multi-site receive systems, where tones are different for each RX site. Can't do it with VX7R, FT817 or FT891. They also don't like abnormal splits either.