Yaesu: Yaesu vx-5 TX error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. In short, I'm seeing "TX error" whenever I push PTT. Never saw this before until after I did factory reset. Radio was "setup" for me at the store a very long time ago. I'm aware of frequency restrictions for transmitting, and it transmits fine within the correct frequencies. But I've never seen this error before on any frequency. I've also read (from different sources) about freeband mods. My guess is there was/is an override code or key combination to remove the "TX Lockout" and eliminate the error code, which was erased by the factory reset. Called the store, they don't have a clue. Only told me to operate within the proper frequencies.

So, is there a code, or combo to remove the TX lockout?

Sent using Tapatalk - Peace

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As the VX-5R is an ham transceiver, not sure why you want it to transmit outside the amateur frequencies. So as long as it transmits within the amateur frequencies nothing to worry about. Of course I am assuming this is a North American released radio as some European countries have different amateur frequencies than North America. I believe some European countries do not have amateur frequencies below 146 on VHF and UHF frequencies vary as well.

You're right, robertmac... the VX-5 is now working as it should. According to the manual, it only transmits in the HAM range. However, for as long as I've had this HT, I never knew it had a TX restriction. I mostly used it to listen, and had the PTT locked/disabled to prevent anyone from using it to create problems. The only time I've ever used it to communicate was at the job site (rarely) which operated outside of HAM frequencies and on a family road trip where we were the odd car in a caravan. I was able to keep in touch over FRS with my VX-5. I can't do that now because of the TX Lockout. I just want my VX-5 to work as it once did. Moving forward, I think I found a solution in a software hack called EVE. I think it's as ancient as my VX-5 because I'm having a hard time finding online.

k6cpo

You're right, robertmac... the VX-5 is now working as it should. According to the manual, it only transmits in the HAM range. However, for as long as I've had this HT, I never knew it had a TX restriction. I mostly used it to listen, and had the PTT locked/disabled to prevent anyone from using it to create problems. The only time I've ever used it to communicate was at the job site (rarely) which operated outside of HAM frequencies and on a family road trip where we were the odd car in a caravan. I was able to keep in touch over FRS with my VX-5. I can't do that now because of the TX Lockout. I just want my VX-5 to work as it once did. Moving forward, I think I found a solution in a software hack called EVE. I think it's as ancient as my VX-5 because I'm having a hard time finding online.

If this is what you want to do with the VX-5, then you're stepping into a shady area of legality. Radios used on services like FRS or at a job site—usually Part 90; the Land Mobile Radio Service—must be FCC certified for that service. In other words, they must meet specific requirements, such as power limits and, in the case of FRS, a non-removable antenna. Being a radio designed for and intended for use in the amateur radio services, the VX-5 is NOT certified for the other services. Hence the built-in transmit lockout. You'd be better off purchasing an inexpensive FRS-specific radio for your road trips.

Also, if you decide to use this radio in the amateur service, then you will need to be licensed (if you aren't already) and anyone you talk to will have to have a license also.

Status
Not open for further replies.