Yeasu FT-7900R Hypermemory Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Guest
I posted this message on the FT-7900 Yahoogroup on Saturday. No response there, so I'll try here.

I am using FTB7900 v1.0.3 to program my FT-7900R.

I have set up banks for the memories and entered various Pref/LO/Off scan
settings per hypermemory and per channel as desired.

I set up the Bank scan links per hypermemory so that HM-1 would only scan the
Bank 1 and the remaining hypermemories would scan all banks. I expected to see
my lockouts being observed among the hypermemories as programmed.

What actually happens is that Hypermemory 1 scans all banks, but observes
channel lockouts. The remaining hypermemories also scan all banks but ignore
their channel lockout settings.

BTW, I did configure Hypermemory Write Auto for all HMs.

Any ideas?
 

N6RDC

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Yucaipa, Ca
I've got a 7900 (and used to have a 7800 before that). The hypermemories (small buttons on either side of the display) really seem to just be independant memories that are almost separate from the regular memories. It seems to me that when I set one to one of the memory channels that when I turn the tuning knob it doesn't scroll along the regular memories that I've set. About all I've been able to do is set them as favorites for certain memories that are programmed. What's always puzzled me is that when I press through the different hyper memories if I go back to #1 it'll end up on a different memory than what it was originally set to. I've messed around quite a bit with them and have mostly given up on trying to really do anything with them....
 
K

kb0nly

Guest
The Hypermemories are just quick Favorites for going to a saved memory, thats all they are for, thats all they do. I don't care if the manual says anything different, after years of using these Yaesu's that's and i have been able to do with them.

You select a memory channel, push and hold the Hypermemory button to set it as a favorite to that number, and thats it.
 

chief21

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
2,123
Reaction score
857
Location
Western NC (Summer); Tampa Bay FL (Winter)
The Hypermemories are just quick Favorites for going to a saved memory, thats all they are for, thats all they do. I don't care if the manual says anything different, after years of using these Yaesu's that's and i have been able to do with them.

You select a memory channel, push and hold the Hypermemory button to set it as a favorite to that number, and thats it.


I beg to differ. If the Yaesu hyper-memory feature is anything like the one on my Kenwood V71, I have found it very useful... especially when travelling. I have the Kenwood hyper-memories set up as follows:

HM 1 - scan all local channels with BUSY scan resume
HM 2 - scan all 2m repeaters (only) with TIME scan resume
HM 3 - scan all 220 repeaters (only) with TIME scan resume
HM 4 - scan all 440 repeaters (only) with TIME scan resume
HM 5 - scan 2m, 220, and 440 repeaters with BUSY scan resume

FYI, here is a link to some Yaesu info about hyper-memory operation...
http://www.w5jck.com/downloads/Yaesu_FT-7800R_Hypermemories.pdf

73,
John
 
D

DaveNF2G

Guest
Chief21 - That's what the 7900 manual says they are for. I just can't get them to behave that way. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a software issue with FTB7900 not actually sending the HM parameters to the radio.

Thanks for the link. I'll check out that document later.
 
K

kb0nly

Guest
I beg to differ. If the Yaesu hyper-memory feature is anything like the one on my Kenwood V71, I have found it very useful... especially when travelling. I have the Kenwood hyper-memories set up as follows:

HM 1 - scan all local channels with BUSY scan resume
HM 2 - scan all 2m repeaters (only) with TIME scan resume
HM 3 - scan all 220 repeaters (only) with TIME scan resume
HM 4 - scan all 440 repeaters (only) with TIME scan resume
HM 5 - scan 2m, 220, and 440 repeaters with BUSY scan resume

FYI, here is a link to some Yaesu info about hyper-memory operation...
http://www.w5jck.com/downloads/Yaesu_FT-7800R_Hypermemories.pdf

73,
John

Yes, as i said thats what they are "supposed" to do but i have yet to make it work that way. The FT-7800 i have in my Jeep loses its hyper memories all the time for some reason, i can set them all but the next time i push one of them they don't seem to do anything UNLESS i just use them as a quick link for a favorite memory channel, then it seems to stay put and save. I read the manual many times, used programming software also, but the only feature that seems to work is using them as a shortcut key to a specific memory channel.

I got to play around with a FT-7900 and it behaved in the same manner. Don't get me wrong love the radio, own two of them, just saying thats what i have found concerning those hypermemory buttons.
 

N6RDC

Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Yucaipa, Ca
Yes, the manual makes it seem like you can save actual configurations like a place to start scanning from but like knOnly says it's hard to even make them work for shortcuts to favorite channels, that's all I ever tried to do with them and for some reason if I start on 1 and go to others it never seems to remember what I assigned 1 to....I really don;t even use them anymore...I've seen others with the same issues.
 
D

DaveNF2G

Guest
Someone over on Yahoogroups suggested that I use ADMS-7900 to program my rig and that it would solve the hypermemory issue. They have not, however, answered my specific questions about it.

Before I plunk down $50 on a program and yet another proprietary cable (!), are there any ADMS users here who can confirm or deny this claim?
 

IowaGuy1603

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
997
Reaction score
1
Location
Jones County Iowa
I guess I missed your post on Yahoo groups

I posted this back in May 2006----I think it is post #155....lets see if a cut and paste works

(I use the ADMS software and it works just fine............I normally just manually set the hyper memories because I change them often........depending on what I want to listen to.)



he FT-7800 has 5 hyper memory buttons....you can set up 5 different radio
configurations to have available at "the touch of a button".

The FT-7800 has 5 sets of Hypermemories. Each hypermemory contains the
configuration of the rig at the time that the hypermemory information was
stored. The configuration includes such items as each band's VFO, which band
is the current band, whether the rig was scanning, the bank links that were
in effect and so on.

The items that relate to frequency, mode, power etc can be managed from the
Hypermemories tab. The bank scan link settings for each hypermemory are
managed using another tab.


A Hypermemory is badly named because it is nothing like a conventional
frequency memory. It is a snapshot of the state of the rig. Information in
the snapshot includes (not an exhaustive list):

One of the hypermemories is always active. After a reset of the rig it is
hypermemory 1, and after that it is the last one you selected.
When you power on the rig a brief display of the active number is shown e.g.
4-HP.

Memory Banks. There are 20 of them in the FT-7800. Each frequency
memory(1000 channels) can be assigned to as many banks as you wish. For
example ..I have our local repeater in each bank that I might want to scan.
I have many of the area repeaters set into bank #1
Bank #2 is Statewide Law Enforcement Channels
Bank #3 is Local Law Enforcement Channels
Bank # 4 is the Channels I use when I drive to the State Capitol area
(central part of the state)
Bank # 5 is the Western part of the state
Bank # 6 is often used simplex frequencies


#1
On a typical day I normally scan banks 1, 3, 4 That is set up as
Hypermemory #1
#2
I might want to cut out the area repeaters...(other than the home repeater)
so I scan banks 3 & 4 (Hypermemory 2)
#3
Something is happening that is broader in scope than my local area.scan
banks 2, 3 & 4 (Hypermemory 3)
#4
Driving around in the central part of the state scan banks 2 & 5
(Hypermemory 4)
#5
Listening to simplex...Including our repeater link frequency (Hypermemory
5)
 

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Joined
Jun 5, 2002
Messages
3,738
Reaction score
706
Location
Hubert, NC
Awesome info. I've had a 7900 for a little while and it is an awesome little radio. I do HATE programming it by hand and will look into getting the ADMS software. Glad I didn't pursue another software package.
 

IowaGuy1603

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
997
Reaction score
1
Location
Jones County Iowa
The G4HFQ is also very good and can handle the hypermemories.

The author is a member of the Yahoo group and is very responsive to problems/questions.

I got the RT systems program for the FT 7100 before I got into the yahoo group or I probably would have went with the G4HFQ software

I have 3 FT 7800's & use the hypermemories DAILY for scanning Public Safety/Ham presets.

The radio isn't very manual programming friendly :)
 
D

DaveNF2G

Guest
But I have the FT-7900. Has anyone tried any of this with that model? All I have heard so far is negative reports about the 7900 and glowing praise for the 7800.

I already program my 7900 with the G4HFQ software. As I originally stated, the hypermemory settings are ignored by my transceiver. Will ADMS-7900 correct this problem or not?
 

IowaGuy1603

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
997
Reaction score
1
Location
Jones County Iowa
I have no idea..........................I have talked to a lot of 7900 users and have never heard of a problem.

HOWEVER I program the radio with the software..................and program the hypermemories manually.

I have used the RT software and progamed the hypermemories..........and had it work.

The two radios 7800 & 7900 are almost identical.............the 7900 just allows different tones on input and output plus a couple other small items

G4HFQ states that the 7800 programmer can be used with no problem to program the 7900 if you don't need the separate tones.
 

nd5y

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
12,660
Reaction score
5,013
Location
Wichita Falls, TX
Check the hyper memory automatic writing menu setting. On the 7800 it is menu #17 [HYPER]. I don't know if it is the same on the 7900.
You probably have to disable it (set it to MANUAL). I remember having problems with it overwriting the settings I saved.
 
D

DaveNF2G

Guest
Thanks for the tip, ND5Y. I will try that change.

IowaGuy, those are interesting propositions. I have some more tests to make. Thanks!
 

IowaGuy1603

Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
997
Reaction score
1
Location
Jones County Iowa
Thanks for the tip, ND5Y. I will try that change.

IowaGuy, those are interesting propositions. I have some more tests to make. Thanks!

I assume you have saved your frequencies to memory channels and also to memory BANKS.

AND are aware how to make selected multiple banks scan in succession..............

Then get the banks to scan. When you get the radio set up to scan the frequencies you want the way you want just hold the #5 button for two seconds.....you will see the display flash and resume scanning.

That config is set to HyperMem #5.



You can then change any of the settings...........scan different banks or have some channels locked out....what ever................then when you have it working the way you want it.........press the #4 button for two seconds..........make sure you see the display flash and then resume scanning & you have THAT config set for HyperMem #4

That is really the easiest way to set the Hypers.................really is!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top