Yet another 2096 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickbnsa

Evening all,

Long time lurker from San Antonio, first time poster here. I've read just about every thread and have still missed something on this scanner.

Left scanning back in the early 90s and recently had an impulse to start again w/ the Pro-2096. Found all my other old scanners, put up another antenna, the whole deal. This hobby has sure changed!

After subscribing to RR.com, I learned right away (mistakenly?) that scanning SAPD is not going to work. I've tried everything and its either total silence or just data stream junk.

So, I started loading the small town PD, and fire stuff. Not getting much for my buck here either.

I've got this scanner sitting beside a PRO-2006, a 2066, 43, 83, 90 (there's an old uniden mobile around here somewhere as well).

The 2096 will receive the aircraft and VHF bands when I use the Attenuation function. But when I use it, I end up losing the more distant signals that are still clear on the other scanners.

If anyone from S.A. is reading, I'm on the N.W side and can receive from Hondo to Spring Branch to Kirby, just not on the 2096.

Is there something I'm missing or could this particular unit possibly be defective?

TIA for any advice.

rickbnsa

scosgt

Join the Yahoo 96/2096 groups and see if someone has posted a file there for your area. If so, you can download Win96 and program your scanner.
I don't know what type of system is there, if it is APCO 25 you can monitor it, but if it is trunked you MUST program the scanner properly.
if it is encrypted you will not be able to scan it.

rickbnsa

SCOSGT

Thanks. Did all that. Win 96 full version, joined the Yahoo Groups available for every scanner I have.

San Antonio is the EDACS/Provoice...encrypted not long before I picked thie 2096 up. Doh! on me. So I guess I'm not going to get far there.

I'm just concerned about this unit's inability to receive the air or VHF freqs or at least the luck I'm having in doing so when all the other scanners here receive them fine.

Thanks

rickbnsa

scosgt

I just looked it up. You can not monitor that system with any current scanner.

rickbnsa

Mancow:
For some reason w/ the 2096, the VHF and airbands will only come in when I attenuate by either channel or globally. Same for the WX band. This is regardless of which antenna I use or loaction within the house here. The other scanners are 5x5 over a distance I was impressed with when I loaded the small towns around here.

SCOSGT:
Affrimative on the San Antonio EDACS deal, that's what I have learned in the past month and have given up on that. I cry in my wallet every time I read the sticky on it.

rickbnsa

rickbnsa

"overload"!

As soon as I entered "overload" in my forum searches to replace 2096- "POS", "boat anchor", etc...found the answer!

Some older posts by ronmchandler (thanks Ron!) pointed to this and it was suggested to use an FM trap (15-577, on clerance @ $2.97). I did and this unit works fine now in Air/VHF and seems clearer in others. The other scanners also seem a bit clearer.

Also pick up stuff now on the San antonio EDACS in the clear that didn't come in previously.

rickbnsa

Status
Not open for further replies.