SDS100/SDS200: zip code programming

billyg7995

I purchased a sds100 scanner preprogramed for the county in my state. However' I wanted to do some programming using the zip code method but was warned not to by bearcat. Too late I did, now the scanner does not scan as before. I was wondering what I did wrong and why and how I can fix it.
Thanks

GROL

You will not do programming using Zip Code scanning. You must use the Sentinel software for programming. Zip code scanning isn't going to wipe out any preprogrammed favorites lists. Press the Munu button on the side. The bottom button. Try going into "Set Scan Selection" and "Select Lists to Monitor" and turn off the Full Database which gets turned on when you do Zip code scanning. Then make sure the Favorites list they preprogrammed for you is on. Unless you did something other than enable Zip code scanning this will probably return you back to monitoring your county when you press the button above the number 1 key to resume scanning.

You really need to get familiar with this very robust scanner or you will have a ton of questions to post. I would suggest Mark's easier to read instructions. Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual

GROL

Wondering why Bearcat told him that? They should know better.
Yeah, odd. Unless they just were trying to warn him about a mess trying to do Zip code scanning. You really have to limit the range to 1 or 0 using Zip code scanning or you get everything in multiple states. And you have to use Service Type selections to cut out the crap.

Last edited:

billyg7995

You could start by telling us what you did to make it scan by zip code.
I went to location settings and locate by zip code
The info that was given along with the owners manual and warns not to "enter my zip code or turn on full database". but does not explain why it states just turn on scanner and adjust the volume. Also, after doing some research, you tube videos, filters may need to be changed on a try bases to get best transmission so how did bearcat know what filter to use for my area?

billyg7995

Yeah, odd. Unless they just were trying to warn him about a mess trying to do Zip code scanning. You really have to limit the range to 1 or 0 using Zip code scanning or you get everything in multiple states. And you have to use Service Type selections to cut out the crap.
Thanks I am learning so sorry for the redundancy. Your patients is appreciated. Your knowledge respected.

GROL

I went to location settings and locate by zip code
The info that was given along with the owners manual and warns not to "enter my zip code or turn on full database". but does not explain why it states just turn on scanner and adjust the volume. Also, after doing some research, you tube videos, filters may need to be changed on a try bases to get best transmission so how did bearcat know what filter to use for my area?
You sure took a wild side step there. If all you did was turn on zip code scanning, then just follow my suggestion. Changing filters is not an issue with enabling zip code scanning and should not be changed except for very specific reception issues. If all you did was turn on zip code scanning, forget the filters. Filters are not specific to the programming of any system. They are used to address issues that may exist with reception in particular locations or circumstances. Bearcat likely just left the default filter settings which work fine in nearly all cases except the odd few.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unless you deleted the programming that done by the seller, it should still be on the SD card. It will be a matter of finding it/turning it on.

Merely turning the full database on and setting your zipcode, will not delete that programming. In fact, it may well be "scanned" along with the full database (as limited by the zipcode). In other words you could be scanning a given channel twice - once because it is contained in the full database and the second time because it is in that programmed list (as in Favorites List).

billyg7995

You will not do programming using Zip Code scanning. You must use the Sentinel software for programming. Zip code scanning isn't going to wipe out any preprogrammed favorites lists. Press the Munu button on the side. The bottom button. Try going into "Set Scan Selection" and "Select Lists to Monitor" and turn off the Full Database which gets turned on when you do Zip code scanning. Then make sure the Favorites list they preprogrammed for you is on. Unless you did something other than enable Zip code scanning this will probably return you back to monitoring your county when you press the button above the number 1 key to resume scanning.

You really need to get familiar with this very robust scanner or you will have a ton of questions to post. I would suggest Mark's easier to read instructions. Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual
Thank you so much. Best info ever, better than videos

billyg7995

You sure took a wild side step there. If all you did was turn on zip code scanning, then just follow my suggestion. Changing filters is not an issue with enabling zip code scanning and should not be changed except for very specific reception issues. If all you did was turn on zip code scanning, forget the filters. Filters are not specific to the programming of any system. They are used to address issues that may exist with reception in particular locations or circumstances. Bearcat likely just left the default filter settings which work fine in nearly all cases except the odd few.
Thank you so much

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Zip code is just a quick way to check what is available in an area. As several posts have said, not likely any damage done, but now it's time to create your own scan list.

GROL

You sure took a wild side step there. If all you did was turn on zip code scanning, then just follow my suggestion.
Zip code is just a quick way to check what is available in an area. As several posts have said, not likely any damage done, but now it's time to create your own scan list.
Yep. It's an easy way to get going in a new area without programming. But to make it useful, set range to zero. And use turning off service types to further limit what is enabled.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I tried zip code once on my SDS200, nope, way too much crap I'm not interested in. At least not yet. Once I retire I may want listen to everything to keep from being bored. Hahahaha

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The info that was given along with the owners manual and warns not to "enter my zip code or turn on full database". but does not explain why it states just turn on scanner and adjust the volume.

Where did you buy the scanner from?

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
I tried zip code once on my SDS200, nope, way too much crap I'm not interested in. At least not yet. Once I retire I may want listen to everything to keep from being bored. Hahahaha
Use service types to down select what you hear, and set your distance lower. Both will help. However, you sound like you should do your own programming if you know exactly what you want to hear.

GROL

Yep. It's an easy way to get going in a new area without programming. But to make it useful, set range to zero. And use turning off service types to further limit what is enabled. When I limit to
Turn off the excess services and set the range to zero. You will get plenty within about 20 miles. If I set services to Law, Fire and EMS I get public safety in my county and three adjacent countie's trunked systems. Yes, that is with range set to zero. Set to 10 I get 1/3 of the state, plus Upstate SC.

Last edited:

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Use service types to down select what you hear, and set your distance lower. Both will help. However, you sound like you should do your own programming if you know exactly what you want to hear.
I have programmed my own stuff now. I have my FL that works great. Like I said, I just tried it to see what the deal was.