Any quick recovery from SD card that's DOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williaty

My very first scanner, a Uniden BCD-536HP, was just dropped off by Purple Santa today. Plugged it in, powered it on, instantly said "City Data Table Read Error" plus a bit more. Searching on here, I see that means the SD card has been corrupted. However, the software I need (Sentinel) to recover from this is on the SD card. Since this card was DOA and I never got the scanner to work long enough to get Sentinel installed on my computer, is there any way to recover from this without having to wait for Uniden to send me a new SD card (if they even will)?

Thanks!

williaty

1) Install Sentinel

2) Update Sentinel's database

3) Format microSD card

4) ????

In other words, what do I specifically need to do with Sentinel to get it to bring the scanner back from the dead?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
1) Install Sentinel

2) Update Sentinel's database

3) Format microSD card

4) ????

In other words, what do I specifically need to do with Sentinel to get it to bring the scanner back from the dead?

Do this with the card in the scanner if you can get to the "mass storage mode", or do it in a card reader and put the card back in the scanner when done.

From Sentinel's menu....

Click "scanner", then "clear user data". Check the box that says "display all drives". Be sure to highlight the drive for the SD card. Click "OK", and let it finish, then "write" to the scanner. If the card doesn't show up when you click to display all drives, try a new card.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suspect a good number of users get higher capacity cards, even if the original cards are working.

Just FYI, the process you describe, along with fxdscon's "step 4" is clearing everything on the card and preparing it for use. These are the same steps you would use if you get a different card.

Following that, you'll want to update the Master HPDB (the full database) and then write it to the SD card using Sentinel. You may also want to update the scanner firmware too.

When I do the SD card setup, I put the SD card in a card reader in my computer. The process seems to go much quicker than using the USB cable.

williaty

Either the card is bad or the USB>SD card interface in the scanner is bad. Every program that tries to touch the SD card in the scanner hangs up. I'll have to go out and buy a new microSD card with the adapter to a regular-size SD card so I can try to create a fresh card and figure out if it's the scanner or the card that shipped with it.

Not how I wanted this hobby to start :(

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You may wish to download the SD formatter utility (Uniden recommends using this one):

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I'm sorry you got off to a bad start. However, as noted above, getting a new SD card does have advantages - bigger capacity and possibly faster write speeds, especially if you have lots of data on the card.

williaty

SD Formatter is one of the programs that crashes every time it accesses the SD card in the scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe I've seen one other post where someone got a bad SD card. They contacted Uniden and a new one was sent.

(Still would go with a different card - 16 and 32 GB are what I use. I'd tape the replacement card to the bottom of the scanner as a spare when I got it from Uniden.)

williaty

It was a bad microSD card from the factory. I bought a new microSD card today, wrote the information to it using Sentinel, and the scanner fired right up. Entered my ZIP code and a range and it started receiving very quickly. Unfortunately, since I live near a major metro area, the scan list is HUUUUUUGE. I now have to figure out how to only get it to listen to the things I care about in order to speed the scan cycle time up. Having never had a scanner before, this whole process is quite confusing.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Best way of doing that is to create one or more Favorites Lists in Sentinel. There are several YouTube videos on how to do this.

I've been into scanners for decades. As time goes along and new models of scanners hit the market, there are so many new things to learn. So I can "feel for" a guy just starting out. Be patient with it, count on making some mistakes and eventually things will fall into place.

sschultz1969

Premium Subscriber
So, I own a 536, (first scanner I've owned) and I've made a fav list, with success and I update my scanner weekly. my problem now is I can't change anything on the original sd card without getting a write protected error and I think my card is corrupt cause my scanner freezes up on occasion, Tried making a new sd card, 32gb class 10 and my scanner apparently will not read it. I've formatted it with suggested formatting software to no avail. I'm assuming I got a bad card? I can't do anything with the original card either. When I try to replay, the screen goes wacky and all I hear is static, another reason I think my original card is corrupt. I have a new 4gb card coming, but does anyone have any suggestion I can try in the meantime?

MStep

So, I own a 536, (first scanner I've owned) and I've made a fav list, with success and I update my scanner weekly. my problem now is I can't change anything on the original sd card without getting a write protected error and I think my card is corrupt cause my scanner freezes up on occasion, Tried making a new sd card, 32gb class 10 and my scanner apparently will not read it. I've formatted it with suggested formatting software to no avail. I'm assuming I got a bad card? I can't do anything with the original card either. When I try to replay, the screen goes wacky and all I hear is static, another reason I think my original card is corrupt. I have a new 4gb card coming, but does anyone have any suggestion I can try in the meantime?

Are you using a Windows computer with an SD card adapter to format your cards? If so, most of the card adapters have a small switch on them that put the card into write-protect mode, and this can often happen inadvertently during handling. (Incidentally, you may want to look at this thread for a previous post where a specific SD card formatting program is recommended--- I believe that you tried that, although I have just used the standard Windows formatting program to format my cards to FAT32 and it seems to work fine.) Having two bad SD cards is possible, but not probable.

When you mentioned that you update your scanner weekly, it seems to indicate that your scanner has been working. Everyone has there own methods, but I find that once I've got any new cards properly formatted, loaded up with the Sentinel software and operational, I leave it in the scanner and simply do my weekly updating in the Sentinel program on my computer and then use the USB cable to load it to the card in the scanner rather than removing the card from the scanner every week---- I think the less you physically handle the card, the better.

Another forum contributor in this thread (williaty) managed to get his new card formatted and is on his way to making favorites lists.

To those who have opted for the 536 as their first scanners---- do no be easily discouraged--- these are some of the best scanners ever made. Having opted for the top-of-the-line, there is a certain learning curve that comes with getting it all together in getting the scanner to work they way you want, but when you finally do, the payoff if well worth the time and effort.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Tried making a new sd card, 32gb class 10 and my scanner apparently will not read it. I've formatted it with suggested formatting software to no avail.

Are you formatting the new card in the scanner or a card reader? Did you get a confirmation that the format was successful?

What were the next steps you performed after formatting the card (step by step)?

sschultz1969

Premium Subscriber
Are you formatting the new card in the scanner or a card reader? Did you get a confirmation that the format was successful?

What were the next steps you performed after formatting the card (step by step)?

formatting was confirmed. I tried using sentinel software, clearing user data and then wring to scanner, with the sd card inserted in my laptop. I tried formatting and clearing user data and installing into scanner which locks my scanner up. The original card works but I cant change anything on it. says its corrupt or write protected. I do know about the switch on the card adaptor.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
formatting was confirmed. I tried using sentinel software, clearing user data and then wring to scanner, with the sd card inserted in my laptop. I tried formatting and clearing user data and installing into scanner which locks my scanner up. The original card works but I cant change anything on it. says its corrupt or write protected. I do know about the switch on the card adaptor.

If you haven't seen this:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Some folks use Windows formatting without any problems, but others have had success with SD Card Formatter when all else fails.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Tried both...

After formatting...
On the Clear User Data step.....

When you check the box for "display all drives" in that window, does your SD card show up there, and are you able to select it?

Status
Not open for further replies.