HP-2: Swapping out batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

As per the advice given on here by many I have not charged the batteries inside my HP-2....ever.

When I first received it, I exclusively (on purpose) ran the supplied Uniden batteries down to the point of the scanner telling me I had low battery power. I then recharged them outside of the unit and inserted a fresh set of Energizer 2300 mah(s). I then recharged the Uniden batteries in a battery charger. Since then, I have mainly run my HP with a smart wall adaptor and hardly ever use the battery power.....thus the Engergizers are still it, I approximate it has been close to month now.

My question is this:

Does anyone have an opinion on when I should swap out batteries, when using an AC power supply all the time?

I don't think it would okay to leave the batteries in my HP indefinitely, would it?

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
The batteries will be in a constant state of charge. With a unit so pricey, I would charge batteries outside of the unit. I have used a charger for my batteries for an older 396 since new. And since it's on AC, why not remove them...

KE0GXN

The batteries will be in a constant state of charge. With a unit so pricey, I would charge batteries outside of the unit. I have used a charger for my batteries for an older 396 since new. And since it's on AC, why not remove them...

I do charge the batteries outside of the unit exclusively.

The HP-2's record and replay functions will not work unless batteries are installed at all times...

marksmith

The batteries will NOT be in a constant state of charge in less you told them to do so.

I have two HP2E radios.

One I always run on batteries as it is also my grab and go mobile in the car. So I end up swapping out the batteries daily for freshly charged ones using an external charger.

The second radio pretty much runs 24/7 on USB power with charge NO in effect.

I usually find that after about a month, even the eneloops will lose almost a quarter of their charge.
So about every two months I swap the two radios so that each get some mobile use as well as taking care of swapping out batteries.

I don't think you can hurt the batteries leaving them in the scanner as long as you are not using the charging function. For some strange reason, I think the HP2 will not record unless it has batteries in the radio, even if you are powering it off USB/house current.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

KE0GXN

The charge NO is in effect for me too.

Good to hear leaving them in the scanner is okay without using the charge function. But I think I will likely swap them out at some point, if for nothing else to use/discharge the batteries evenly....

Yes, you are correct, the record/replay function will not work without batteries installed, no matter what external power you are using. I think I may have read in the manual or on here that it also serves as an anti-corruption/save fail safe if for some reason the unit is not powered down correctly or abruptly loses power.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The charge NO is in effect for me too.

Good to hear leaving them in the scanner is okay without using the charge function. But I think I will likely swap them out at some point, if for nothing else to use/discharge the batteries evenly....

Yes, you are correct, the record/replay function will not work without batteries installed, no matter what external power you are using. I think I may have read in the manual or on here that it also serves as an anti-corruption/save fail safe if for some reason the unit is not powered down correctly or abruptly loses power.
Remember that the charger in the HP-2, as well as other Uniden scanners, is not a "smart" charger. Unlike a dedicated external charger, which can monitor
the charge and voltage level of the batteries, the charger in the HP-2 (and others) is simply a timed charger. From the menu, under Advanced options on the HP-2, you set the charge time by entering the battery capacity size. For 2400mAh batteries, that comes out as about 14.5 hours. It charges at a lower rate than an external charger can, so that the batteries do not get too hot, and if not fully discharged before you initiated battery charging, they also would not be seriously overcharged. Once that timed period is up, no more charging occurs, not even a trickle charge like some external chargers are capable of.

Any rechargeable battery will slowly discharge itself over a period of time. See the chart under "Description" on this page. At six months, a normal rechargeable battery might be down to 75% charge, and approaching 0% at the one year mark. Low self-discharge batteries LSD) such as the Eneloops (was Sanyo, but now Panasonic owns the brand) or Imedion, the LSD battery line from Maha, the battery charger company, will have higher capacities left at 6 months, and 75% or more left even at the one year mark of non-use. That's assuming batteries that were fully charged, and in good condition, at the start of the time period. For many batteries, the self discharge rate increases with extended use & recharging.

I use the low self-discharge batteries in all of my handheld/portable scanners, including the HP's. I also use them in my digital cameras,pulling the batteries from the cameras every two months or so, and replacing them with a freshly charged set while the ones removed get their some charge time to top them off. For the scanners, as I frequently use one or more portable, or simply in a different room, away from the adapter/charger for that unit, I swap batteries as needed to maintain a fully charged set.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I have owned my BCD396XT for a few months and have used nothing other than the rechargeable batteries. I charge them only using the scanner (as I do not own a charger) and with supplied rechargeable batteries. I only run the batteries down to 3.4 volts or so (at that point the radio will stop functioning) and then only charge them for 4 or 5 hours to get them to 4.2 volts or so. i never leave them charge for more than 5 hours. have had NO problems at all. so, what am I not understanding about ops saying not to use the radio to charge the batteries? works fine for me. curious.

KE0GXN

I have owned my BCD396XT for a few months and have used nothing other than the rechargeable batteries. I charge them only using the scanner (as I do not own a charger) and with supplied rechargeable batteries. I only run the batteries down to 3.4 volts or so (at that point the radio will stop functioning) and then only charge them for 4 or 5 hours to get them to 4.2 volts or so. i never leave them charge for more than 5 hours. have had NO problems at all. so, what am I not understanding about ops saying not to use the radio to charge the batteries? works fine for me. curious.

Not so much that it "has" caused problems...more so that it "may" or "invite" problems.

For me considering I have a little over $400 invested in my HP-2 alone....it was worth taking the advice given to me on here and charge outside the scanner and avoid even the potential for future problems.....in other words, better safe then sorry. Not only that, but it is my understanding you can extend the life of your rechargeable batteries by properly discharging and recharging them in a good quality charger.

At least that is what I have understood from the advice given to me on here.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Not so much that it "has" caused problems...more so that it "may" or "invite" problems.

For me considering I have a little over $400 invested in my HP-2 alone....it was worth taking the advice given to me on here and charge outside the scanner and avoid even the potential for future problems.....in other words, better safe then sorry. Not only that, but it is my understanding you can extend the life of your rechargeable batteries by properly discharging and recharging them in a good quality charger.

At least that is what I have understood from the advice given to me on here.

understood, but do we have any reliable evidence that charging the batteries with our radios, if done properly, will or may potentially harm the radios. what harm could this cause? just curious. if there is evidence, surely i will do it with an external charger. if not, i will continue charging with the radio.

KE0GXN

understood, but do we have any reliable evidence that charging the batteries with our radios, if done properly, will or may potentially harm the radios. what harm could this cause? just curious. if there is evidence, surely i will do it with an external charger. if not, i will continue charging with the radio.

I based my decision off of the following threads:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/234411-uniden-home-patrol-nimh-batteries.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-2-2-questions-charge-light-advanced-reg.html

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

i read through the threads. thanks for the info. i prob should get an external charger for the batteries, just to be on the safe side. i charge my batteries in the radio about 2 to 3 hours after using it on and off during the day and it comes to about 4.1 or 4.2 volts each time, i bring it down to about 3.6 or so and charge it again the next morning for 2 or 3 hours, seems to work fine. radio is bcd396xt by the way

KE0GXN

i read through the threads. thanks for the info. i prob should get an external charger for the batteries, just to be on the safe side. i charge my batteries in the radio about 2 to 3 hours after using it on and off during the day and it comes to about 4.1 or 4.2 volts each time, i bring it down to about 3.6 or so and charge it again the next morning for 2 or 3 hours, seems to work fine. radio is bcd396xt by the way

No prob man. This place has helped me immensely, glad to share the info and return to the favor to someone else! Happy scanning :)

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
No prob man. This place has helped me immensely, glad to share the info and return to the favor to someone else! Happy scanning :)
heck yes! that is what these forums are all about. also making contacts with people with similar interests in scanning. most squares out there in the world dont understand the fascination. take care!

KE0GXN

External charger purchase suggestions?

Currently using an Energizer CH-PRO charger I picked up at my local Lowe's for an immediate alternative to in scanner charging. However, I am thinking about upgrading in the near future to a true "smart" type charger such as a La Crosse or Maha, etc...

Any suggestions?

Been checking out these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R...gy+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=41gJ5-yLA2L&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J...gy+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=510LTik-NiL&ref=plSrch

Might be willing to shell out the extra bucks for the BC 1000, if someone can explain the difference between it and the BC 700. Best I could tell the only difference is the 1000 comes with a tote bag, 2 sets of batteries and some C and D cell adaptors to justify it's $21 difference....or am I missing something performance wise that makes the 1000 better then the 700?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Currently using an Energizer CH-PRO charger I picked up at my local Lowe's for an immediate alternative to in scanner charging. However, I am thinking about upgrading in the near future to a true "smart" type charger such as a La Crosse or Maha, etc...

Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R...gy+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=41gJ5-yLA2L&ref=plSrch

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Electronics

Might be willing to shell out the extra bucks for the BC 1000, if someone can explain the difference between it and the BC 700. Best I could tell the only difference is the 1000 comes with a tote bag, 2 sets of batteries and some C and D cell adaptors to justify it's $21 difference....or am I missing something performance wise that makes the 1000 better then the 700?

when you decide which you decide, please post and I will also get one. not much into this rechargeable battery thing and you are definitely doing your homework. when you post what you are ordering, i will also order same unit and batteries. i love researching the scanners themselves, but the battery stuff no so. lol

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

Any suggestions?

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J...gy+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=510LTik-NiL&ref=plSrch

I like the 1000 and will prob order it and some AA batteries. seems like it does about everything. rather spend more $ and get one i will be satisfied with.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tec...=1443063742&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_2&sr=8-2

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

KE0GXN

Might also want to take a look at this charger also. I have 2 of them and they both have been working fine. Chargers that charge each cell individually is the way to go. Get some Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries and you cant go wrong.

MH-C9000 - Maha Energy

Amazon.com: PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries: Electronics

Thanks for the feedback!

Yep, I looked at it hard, but I got on youtube and saw some reviews....

While it is way more advanced then the La Crosse, it had "some" drawbacks.

Here is one where a guy actually did a side by side comparison with the Maha and the La Crosse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3SBjrhANSs

Which at the end of day, showed the La Crosse kind of out performed the Maha.

I also like that the La Crosse allows for the simultaneous observing of all the cells while they charge, while at the same time it is capable of single individual cell charging/programming.

With the Maha, you have to toggle through several button presses to see or monitor each cell and you can only monitor one cell at a time on the Maha's display screen.

Another issue, however "minor" at least to me it is, is the screen brightness of the Maha. Like I said, I don't think it would be a big deal to me, but that was one constant bad critique given to the Maha 9000 by other reviewers as well.....

All in all the Maha seems like a VERY advanced charger over the La Crosse, I am just not quite sure I need all of it's options for what I want to get out of it. I could be wrong though, so I am all ears (or this case eyes) to any more feedback you may have. At the end of the day, I want to try make the most informed decision.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

KE0GXN

when you decide which you decide, please post and I will also get one. not much into this rechargeable battery thing and you are definitely doing your homework. when you post what you are ordering, i will also order same unit and batteries. i love researching the scanners themselves, but the battery stuff no so. lol

Will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.