Pinellas Site 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Visiting/passing through the area this week - sitting here just north of Sarasota listening to FD talkgroups on the G5 which says it is monitoring site 5... hearing some (on-demand/user enabled?) encryption on some fire talkgroups.... then, it got quiet... dead quiet.

I looked over and noticed the G5 had switch to monitoring site 12 -- anyone know anything about this site?

EDIT: also noticing quite a bit of what seems like occasional on-demand/user-enabled encryption on fire talkgroups (Site 5).

Last edited:

ngel

FD Encryption

Not sure Why your G5 is acting that way but there is no “on demand “ encryption on the FD side. I can ensure you as I have seen the actual radios in operation, and the encryption selector is actually used to scan and not encrypt. FD has two channels that are “strapped” with encryption, meaning you won’t here the units or dispatch. Those channels I believe are Hotel and India. On the radios the display shows as a 0 with a horizontal line though it. Those are Motorola APX 6000 radios that most FDs are using.

As far as site 12 that is what they use for FD MDC only. You should not hear any traffic on it. If you did it would probably be very short bursts of encryption but don’t know if a G5 would pass along any audio from that. Scanners will not hear anything.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Not sure Why your G5 is acting that way but there is no “on demand “ encryption on the FD side. I can ensure you as I have seen the actual radios in operation, and the encryption selector is actually used to scan and not encrypt. FD has two channels that are “strapped” with encryption, meaning you won’t here the units or dispatch. Those channels I believe are Hotel and India. On the radios the display shows as a 0 with a horizontal line though it. Those are Motorola APX 6000 radios that most FDs are using.
OK - that is interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to look more closely at what is happening here using other tools. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm going to get back north and close enough to use other radios to do this (I'm on the southern edge of Manatee for the next few days).

The G5 is receiving site 5 fairly well at most times from here with some garbling due to the signal strength. When it garbles, it seems to fade in and out - sometimes you can make out the voice. However, those times when it seems there is encryption in use, it clearly sounds (the entire voice call) as if it is encrypted noise to me (vs. the occasional weak signal "squeal"). I did note, however, that when I receive what sounds like encrypted voice, the radio does not display the encryption indicator that is in the latest firmware. Unication tells me that this encryption indicator may not occur for all types of encryption (which could be the reason) but perhaps as you say, this really isn't encryption (even though it certainly sounds like it)....
As far as site 12 that is what they use for FD MDC only. You should not hear any traffic on it. If you did it would probably be very short bursts of encryption but don’t know if a G5 would pass along any audio from that. Scanners will not hear anything.
You are correct - as I said, the G5 "roamed" itself over to Site 12 and the radio went silent. It was only once I investigated the silence that I found it had left site 5 and settled on site 12.

ngel

FD encryption

So now someone decided to update the database with partial encryption on FD ? That’s funny because no tac channels have partial encryption so I’m not sure why someone would have updated that, because that is not the case.

troymail

Silent Key
So now someone decided to update the database with partial encryption on FD ? That’s funny because no tac channels have partial encryption so I’m not sure why someone would have updated that, because that is not the case.

So I submitted those changes based on what I as hearing. Based on your feedback earlier (thank you again) I took a drive and using Pro96Com found that I was mislead by what I was hearing on the G5...

I have submitted a change to undo my mistake.

FWIW - I routine try to submit updates - even where it seems that encryption (full or partial) is in use. I personally find knowing that encryption might come into play when users report issues receiving systems/certain talkgroups and don't realize that one of the issues might in fact be that encryption might randomly be employed. With this experience, I now know that I cannot rely solely on the Unication to make that determination (it is the first time I've encountered this).

sanman1960

How is the Unication G5 for Pinellas ? I was thinking of potentially getting one if it has improved reception. appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

sanman1960

I bought a unication G5 and i can listen to site 4 or 5 with crystal clear reception here in Land o Lakes.
Everything about this unit vastly exceeds any scanner i have owned. I bought it from Rays Pagers and they programmed it for me. The increase in reception is amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.