436HP Volume Offset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Uniden Speakers

We use stereo connections on our external communications speakers so that they won't short out stereo-wired jacks (as are used on headphone out jacks).

When I attempted to buy one of these, I saw several Uniden External Speaker Models. I saw ones that were 15 and 20 watts.

Do you have a model number recommendation for my 436HP?

Someone also mentioned that I could buy a Bluetooth adapter and earphone, but I don't know where to find one of these.

Ensnared

Electronically Challenged

I have an number of these - Motorola Mostar Speaker Amplifier HSN1000B Black External Hanging | eBay

They are actually amplified, however, you can use them also in a non amplified mode as well.

The only issue is you need the bracket and some of the wiring and need to know how to make connectors use for them at times.

Very high quality speaker, can easily be taken apart and cleaned if needed.

I can wire most things that involve a positive and ground. Yes, I was told not to use the amplification portion of the radio. How many watts come out of this speaker without amplification? Also, does this Motorola have a 3.5 mm stereo plug? I saw three wires in the picture. I need to be able to hook the power up to a male cigarette lighter plug so when I have to move it from car to car.

Last edited:

JamesO

I can wire most things that involve a positive and ground. Yes, I was told not to use the amplification portion of the radio. How many watts come out of this speaker without amplification? Also, does this Motorola have a 3.5 mm stereo plug?

Motorla has a small 6 pin Molex connector as I recall?

The specs say 5 Watts as I recall. But keep in mind the Uniden speakers are just speakers and not amplified speakers as I recall.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have an number of these - Motorola Mostar Speaker Amplifier HSN1000B Black External Hanging | eBay

They are actually amplified, however, you can use them also in a non amplified mode as well.

The only issue is you need the bracket and some of the wiring and need to know how to make connectors use for them at times.

Very high quality speaker, can easily be taken apart and cleaned if needed.

I use that same model (plus other Motorola amplified speakers) with most of my radios and they work very well.
Like you mentioned, some type of interface needs to be incorporated for the x36HP models due to their use of BTL amp outputs.

They do increase the digital noise one can hear when using some Class 10 or faster SD cards though so I dropped down to a Class 8 SanDisk SD card and hear no digital noise from the use of any of my BTL interfaced speakers.
I did not notice a speed increase/decrease in the SD cards operation when going from the OEM Class 4 to a Class 10 card anyway. I'd imagine something in the X36HP radios limits the cards operation to Class 4 speeds so anything faster could just be a waste. I don't think I found a 32GB SD card slower than Class 10 though and it did create digital noise in all of my external speakers so I opted for a 16GB card at Class 8 and it has been noise free.

Now weather the AGC circuit in the 536HP does anything or not, I'll leave that question alone as I've not been able to hear a difference on digital channels with digital AGC on or off but the Volume Offset does work.
They patched an analog channel onto a digital talkgroup here and the analog patch is very loud compared to the true digital TGs. An -2 offset did fix that so the analog patch does not blow me out of the room when it comes on the air.
I've never messed with the analog AGC circuit in either x36HP radio so cannot comment on it either but both the digital and analog AGC circuits do work in all my x96XT models. The amount of settings for the AGC in the x96 line seems confusing but all three options do appear to alter the final audio product.

For the x36HP line, I really can't say I hear a difference in the audio output regardless if analog or digital AGC is on or off but I usually set it on as a general rule when I program.
I don't own two of either x36HP model so can't really do an accurate comparison test but the volume offset does work. At least on the digital channels I've set it at -2, it does lower the volume of those analog to digital patched channels. Being an analog to digital patch, I wish the x36 did have the same AGC settings as the 996XT has as some analog dispatchers appear to whisper on the point to point channel they have patched. I assume this is the reason they seem to have cranked up the analog gain into the digital repeater for that talkgroup.

The thing that is really cool about that patch is that I can hear analog point to point stations that I'd never be able to hear as my antenna is not nearly as tall as the one they use to pickup that frequency!

That is on talkgroup 10036 from the north site 201 on the City of St. Louis, MO 800 MHz system.
It's a good talkgroup for playing with the various AGC levels or Volume Offsets on any off the fairly recent Uniden models.
One just needs to remember that it is the Digital settings that need to be changed as the audio has already been converted to digital if picking it up via the 10036 talkgroup.

Ensnared

Pea Brain Digestion

I use that same model (plus other Motorola amplified speakers) with most of my radios and they work very well.
Like you mentioned, some type of interface needs to be incorporated for the x36HP models due to their use of BTL amp outputs.

They do increase the digital noise one can hear when using some Class 10 or faster SD cards though so I dropped down to a Class 8 SanDisk SD card and hear no digital noise from the use of any of my BTL interfaced speakers.
I did not notice a speed increase/decrease in the SD cards operation when going from the OEM Class 4 to a Class 10 card anyway. I'd imagine something in the X36HP radios limits the cards operation to Class 4 speeds so anything faster could just be a waste. I don't think I found a 32GB SD card slower than Class 10 though and it did create digital noise in all of my external speakers so I opted for a 16GB card at Class 8 and it has been noise free.

Now weather the AGC circuit in the 536HP does anything or not, I'll leave that question alone as I've not been able to hear a difference on digital channels with digital AGC on or off but the Volume Offset does work.
They patched an analog channel onto a digital talkgroup here and the analog patch is very loud compared to the true digital TGs. An -2 offset did fix that so the analog patch does not blow me out of the room when it comes on the air.
I've never messed with the analog AGC circuit in either x36HP radio so cannot comment on it either but both the digital and analog AGC circuits do work in all my x96XT models. The amount of settings for the AGC in the x96 line seems confusing but all three options do appear to alter the final audio product.

For the x36HP line, I really can't say I hear a difference in the audio output regardless if analog or digital AGC is on or off but I usually set it on as a general rule when I program.
I don't own two of either x36HP model so can't really do an accurate comparison test but the volume offset does work. At least on the digital channels I've set it at -2, it does lower the volume of those analog to digital patched channels. Being an analog to digital patch, I wish the x36 did have the same AGC settings as the 996XT has as some analog dispatchers appear to whisper on the point to point channel they have patched. I assume this is the reason they seem to have cranked up the analog gain into the digital repeater for that talkgroup.

The thing that is really cool about that patch is that I can hear analog point to point stations that I'd never be able to hear as my antenna is not nearly as tall as the one they use to pickup that frequency!

That is on talkgroup 10036 from the north site 201 on the City of St. Louis, MO 800 MHz system.
It's a good talkgroup for playing with the various AGC levels or Volume Offsets on any off the fairly recent Uniden models.
One just needs to remember that it is the Digital settings that need to be changed as the audio has already been converted to digital if picking it up via the 10036 talkgroup.

Interesting. This is going to require a bit of studying for to fully embrace what you are trying to convey to me. Now, we are talking about SD cards. I truly don't know what speed of card I bought. I know it is 16GB.

I do know that I have an Extreme Plus SD card for my digital camera which allows me to shoot 1080 HD without it saying "busy", but I never knew processing speed applied to an output speaker, wow.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. This is going to require a bit of studying for to fully embrace what you are trying to convey to me. Now, we are talking about SD cards. I truly don't know what speed of card I bought. I know it is 16GB.

I do know that I have an Extreme Plus SD card for my digital camera which allows me to shoot 1080 HD without it saying "busy", but I never knew processing speed applied to an output speaker, wow.

I guess I got carried away there!

What I found when trying a Class 10 32GB card was a noticeable increase in the digital noise I could hear coming from the 536HP.
Someone else had posted that reseating their SD card cured a problem plus they noticed less digital noise from the speaker.

Well, I too was hearing a lot of digital sounding noise when I'd turn the 536HP on/off. I then realized this all started about the time I'd installed the 32GB card.

So I played with cards of a different class or speed.

What I found was that pretty much any card of Class 10 was producing this digital noise. I'd also installed an amplified Motorola speaker not much earlier. I swapped out the speaker with a standard external speaker and also tried the built in speaker.
Sure enough, I could hear this annoying digital noise with any speaker but it was clearly more pronounced with the amplified speaker.

Then I went back to playing with different class cards again.

I did not have a 32GB card slower than class 10 but I did have some class 8 16GB cards from various manufacturers.
All my class 10 cards produced the noise pretty well.
When I tried the Class 8 16GB cards, they all produced noise but not as bad as a Class 10. But... one in particular was as noisy as the Class 10 cards but I don't remember who made that card now.

I'm currently running a Class 4 Kingston 16GB card and it is quiet.
My backup cards are a SanDisk 16GB at Class 4 as well as a Lexar Class 4 also 16GB. All three of those Class 4 16GB cards are quiet even with the amplified speaker.
I can still hear some faint digital noise but it is so low that it would go unnoticed unless you are really listening for it.

I then played with timing. Things like power on to actual scanning,
I load about 50 favorites lists even though I may only monitor a few.
I could not see a difference in the amount of time the 536HP was powered on and was scanning regardless of the speed class of the card in the radio.
A Class 4 card loaded up just as fast as a class 8. The noisy Class 10 32GB card was actually slower than any of the Class 4 cards before the 536 was done loading the favorites lists and had gone into scanning mode.
Even though all test cards were mirror images of each other, the Class 10 card took the longest before the radio was actually scanning.
I assumed it was because it was looking at 32GB instead of only 16GB.

In the end, the Class 4 cards were all equal in speed and none produced any objectionable noise.

I did more tests and found that smaller cards would load to a scanning condition quicker than a larger card even though they all contained the same exact data. And speed class amongst cards of the same size did not appear to make things slower or faster. A Class 4 16GB card would load up just as fast as a Class 8 16GB card would.
As far as speed went, the difference between say a 4GB card and a 16GB card was very little. The 16GB card may take 1 second longer than the 4GB did.

So I decided to stick with 16GB size cards at Class 4 speeds as they did not produce noise and were nearly as fast as a 4GB card.
This combo gives me virtually no noise with my external speaker plus it give me tons of space for audio recordings.

The main thing I learned was that Class 10 cards produced digital sounding artifacts in the external speaker while the slower class cards did not. And the slower class cards did not produce a longer delay from power on until actual scanning.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For the speaker, the BC23A. You must use an amplified speaker to get more audio from a headset jack.

Ensnared

Passive or Amplified?

For the speaker, the BC23A. You must use an amplified speaker to get more audio from a headset jack.

Currently, I am looking at the BC20 speaker. I believe this model is not amplified. I thought the radio had an amplified circuit. So, I assumed that the BC20 would work well to get above the road noise. I am trying to steer clear of amplified speakers unless they have a significant superiority over the others. Currently, I am using a 4 port cigarette lighter power outlet. It is getting full with two GPS units, CB, and Radar Detector. I am also considering having a dedicated power outlet, straight from the battery, for plugging in my lap top.

If I do decide to use the amplified version, is it easy to wire for putting a male cigarette lighter plug on the end?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BC20 will not work. You must use an amplified speaker. Headphone jacks put out very little power (otherwise they would blow out headphones).

JamesO

Might be able to use a BC20 on a mobile/base type scanner connected to the external speaker connection, but as mentioned, you will get nowhere from a headphone jack on any device with a non amplified speaker.

This is part of what I like about the Motorola speaker, although the connections are a PITA, you can configure and use the speaker either amplified or non amplified. I am sure you could also modify the Uniden speaker to do the same thing, but it may be just as much work as dealing with the Motorola speaker?

When in doubt, use an amplified speaker, you can never have too much sound to to much light in the world. This is what I tell people about lighting in a house, you know you have enough light when you need a dimmer, and if you do not need a dimmer, you likely do not have enough light!

Ensnared

23A Wired To Male Power Plug

I still remain unconvinced that the 436 has good volume when compared with GRE. Again, it does not hold a candle to my PSR 500. I am still using the single mono over-the-ear phones shown earlier in one of my posts.

I was told that the volume on the 436 would blow out most earphones. Nope, not so with the kind I use. If it was possible to blow out this earphone, the PSR 500, having much louder volume, would have already done so.

So, I've added the amplified 23A speaker which was suggested. Yes, it gets above highway noise, but not significantly so.

So, this is a minor wrinkle for me. If you are wanting a loud scanner, this is not your animal.

Ensnared

Stereo Plub Over Ear Earphone

Typically, I purchase over-the-ear headphones, but they are mono. I once ordered one of these headphones, but sent it back since the 3.5 mm plug was stereo. However, I am considering ordering another one since I now own a Uniden 436HP. Over The Ear Headphone Speaker > Audio > Single Earpieces | C. Crane I might add, I have blasted this type of headphone on my PSR 500 without any problems. No, it did not blow out the headphone. In my opinion, the former GRE radio has a much louder audio than my 436HP. I just wanted to share this with listeners.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I once ordered one of these headphones, but sent it back since the 3.5 mm plug was stereo.

If you were plugging it into any scanner's headphone jack, then the correct connector is a stereo connector. If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack, 1/2 of the headphone audio circuit will be shorted to ground, resulting in low and/or distorted audio.

Ensnared

3.5 MM Stereo Adapter

If you were plugging it into any scanner's headphone jack, then the correct connector is a stereo connector. If you plug a mono plug into a stereo jack, 1/2 of the headphone audio circuit will be shorted to ground, resulting in low and/or distorted audio.

At present, I am using a mono headphone version of the stereo version I posted with a 3.5mm stereo adapter. Indeed, it is much louder. I will order one with the stereo jack on the end, the hyperlink posted. I will then give you feedback on here.

I also appreciate the recommendation for the 23A speaker. Although I've not tested in on heavy road noise yet, it seems to be a dramatic improvement. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.