700 megahertz band

values12

Hello, I'm in Albany, NY. Does anyone know if there is any actvity that we scanner hobbyists can monitor on the 700 MHZ band ? Thanks for your replies-

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber

Corning Tower site is one of the few 700 MHz systems in the Capital region. You're not going to hear much local activity, if any, as the primary users of this system are the NYSP in NYC and the MTA PD in and around NYC.
Yes to what GTR 8000 says about the MTA/MRRS system. Pretty quiet up here most of the time!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I'm in Albany, NY. Does anyone know if there is any actvity that we scanner hobbyists can monitor on the 700 MHZ band ? Thanks for your replies-

I looked on the FCC website, searched 20 KM out from the center of Albany, I couldn't believe there were that few 700 MHz licenses.

I was really surprised to find there are less than a dozen in Albany County, and only about two dozen total in that search range, most belonging to the neighboring county.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That region built out on 800 MHz many years ago with EDACS and other systems, eventually transitioning to P25. They really never had a great need for the 700 MHz spectrum, as 700 and 800 are more or less the same thing and are treated as a single band when it comes to infrastructure and subscribers.