• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Antenna on a Motorola XTS - 5000?

x6qi

The title may seem kind of weird but this is a genuine question I wanted to know if a standard UV-5R Baofeng Antenna could work on an XTS 5000 This Motorola Radio I am getting supports 700/800 MHZ and the bottom of the antenna says "FM/136-174/400-520 MHZ." I am not looking for any responses that ask why I am not buying my own antenna, but if I have to, I will, please help.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Not only wrong band but I would never use a cheap china crap radio antenna on anything I'd care about. Those antennas are bad enough to being with even if you are trying to receive only. If you have nothing else and are stuck on an island I suppose it may work if the center pin connects enough and long enough to send a mayday and the rescue party is within shouting distance.

Cashanova48

Not a Wacker ;)
I have been wondering similar things too. I have a XTS 3000 in UHF and was thinking about running a 17 inch Nagoya NA320A. I don't want to destroy my investment into a Motorola though.

Cashanova48

Not a Wacker ;)
Yes sir! What antenna for longer range is recommended to be used on a radio of such caliber?

Cashanova48

Not a Wacker ;)
The Motorola made antennas are as good as they get for portable antennas. The best performing type will be the 5/8 wave whip antenna, 8505241U11.

The best thing to do with the Baofeng involves using it to stop a moving sledgehammer.
Yes sir, thank you

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Not the right antenna of the band. The other issue is Motorola uses a non-standard SMA interface on their portables which results in standard SMA connectors often not seating correctly and engaging the center pin correctly.

Cashanova48

Not a Wacker ;)
Not the right antenna of the band. The other issue is Motorola uses a non-standard SMA interface on their portables which results in standard SMA connectors often not seating correctly and engaging the center pin correctly.
Ok, thanks

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I have been wondering similar things too. I have a XTS 3000 in UHF and was thinking about running a 17 inch Nagoya NA320A. I don't want to destroy my investment into a Motorola though.
XTS 3000's are a dime a dozen. They're ancient, and I know you could get another cheap if something did happen with the antenna connector.

JTMcFMood

The title may seem kind of weird but this is a genuine question I wanted to know if a standard UV-5R Baofeng Antenna could work on an XTS 5000 This Motorola Radio I am getting supports 700/800 MHZ and the bottom of the antenna says "FM/136-174/400-520 MHZ." I am not looking for any responses that ask why I am not buying my own antenna, but if I have to, I will, please help.
The Baofeng uses an SMA Female threaded antenna fitting (almost all other brands of radio that use SMA fittings use SMA Male threaded connectors), and if the mismatch were defeated by an adapter, it won't help much, as the Baofeng was tuned to different frequency range(s) in most cases.

The markings on the antenna shows the frequency they are tuned to. Your question tells us why it won't work. Oh if it worked at all, it would be very poorly, and could destroy the final RF amplifier stage. Smoke gets out, radio destroyed.

hitechRadio

Just food for thought, If you could not figure by the frequency label on the antenna "FM/136-174/400-520 MHZ." that it would not work on a 7/800 radio. You will not have fun programming the radio, and should probably look at scanners.

N4KVE

The Baofeng uses an SMA Female threaded antenna fitting (almost all other brands of radio that use SMA fittings use SMA Male threaded connectors), and if the mismatch were defeated by an adapter, it won't help much, as the Baofeng was tuned to different frequency range(s) in most cases.

The markings on the antenna shows the frequency they are tuned to. Your question tells us why it won't work. Oh if it worked at all, it would be very poorly, and could destroy the final RF amplifier stage. Smoke gets out, radio destroyed.
Found a Baofeng dual band antenna in a junk drawer. It screws onto my APX perfectly without any adapte, & receives fine. Then it went back to the junk drawer.

hitechRadio

It will be badly mismatched to transmit, don't try it, you'll get a smoke released radio
No Smoke will be released, (It's not a beofeng) even if it was the wrong band antenna.
If it is the correct band antenna on the radio will be fine. Although I prefer OEM Motorola antenna.