ADSBexchange.com - Live Aircraft Tracking Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

I am looking for some help,i want to set up a feed for Adsbexchange from my local area so many aircraft,low level that are currently not showing.I'm having a problem with software,i already have a dongle and adsb antenna for 1090,i may have to add a filter.Either step by step instructions or someone to come and help me set it up i just want to set it up and try it.I have to buy things a little at the time because of money.I do not drive due to a head injury,Thanks!

How are you wanting to feed? Are you wanting to use a raspberry pi or just a Windows adsb decoder?

pilotman6012

Okay sorry for the late reply but FRAZPO,i did get RTL 1090 installed and it is showing aircraft from dongle and antenna on the table in RTL 1090.

n5pwp

I'm up by Bush IAH in the Houston area. I'm feeding from Dump1090 to ADSB-Exchange. I'd like to be able to get the MLAT info from them for my VRS display. Is there a way to filter out the rest of the world from the 'Firehose' feed? Or, is that all that is available? Whenever I turn on their feed to me my data rate tracker starts ticking up like crazy. I get about a GB/per hour or so. I'm using the 32030 port to only update every 30 secs but it still is screaming. I have the setting in VRS set to only display whats visible in the zoom area I have on the VRS display. Is there a regional feed I could tie into or is the 'firehose' the only feed out there? Occasionally it would be fun to see what's going on in the rest of the world but most of the time I just want to see what's going on in my area. I have Googled the other feeding services but I have not found a system that will let me just get a feed of my regional area alone. It seems they all feed the world to you. Great if you have unlimited data. Short of that is there a way to tie into some local users to be able to get the MLAT information for display? I have the modeac switch on in Dump1090 as well as the mlat switch. My Dump1090 display at times gets very busy with all the mode ac stuff. It would be nice to be able to use that information along with the ads-b stuff to see everything that is up there. Thanks, folks.

Mike

pilotman6012

Seems like they got hacked again,but this time clicking on the link for Virtual radar page gets you nowhere,it acts like it is loading but goes back to the page with the link for virtual radar page.

pilotman6012

They seem to have all kinds of issues lately,crashed again nothing is coming up on virtual radar page shows it is only tracking 800 aircraft worldwide.

simplec6

Does anyone happen to know why I experience the following:
I run a Raspberry Pi with PiAware (latest version 3.1), which runs dump1090 and sends the data to FlightAware. I can see a good amount of aircraft on my local dump1090 web interface around me, as expected.

One thing that I can't figure out, as it related to this thread (ADSBExchange.com), is why might I be seeing more data on ADSBExchange than I see on my local dump1090 web page, which also shows MLAT flights.

As you might guess, the aircraft I am usually missing in my local dump1090 map vs. adsbexchange.com is helicopters, of which is the main reason I'm running PiAware.

Any hints would be great. I've even set up Virtual radar desktop and read from the FlightAware MLAT feed via my RasPi, and the helos I'm seeing in adsbexchange.com are definitely not in the FlightAware data. This is a common occurrence, and not just a one-off. I've been keeping an eye on it for a few weeks now.

If anyone knows why this is happening, do you happen to have a solution for me? I am mostly just interested in helos, and adsbexchange almost always shows them when they fly over my location, while my local dump1090 almost never shows them.

kma371

QRT
Does anyone happen to know why I experience the following:
I run a Raspberry Pi with PiAware (latest version 3.1), which runs dump1090 and sends the data to FlightAware. I can see a good amount of aircraft on my local dump1090 web interface around me, as expected.

One thing that I can't figure out, as it related to this thread (ADSBExchange.com), is why might I be seeing more data on ADSBExchange than I see on my local dump1090 web page, which also shows MLAT flights.

As you might guess, the aircraft I am usually missing in my local dump1090 map vs. adsbexchange.com is helicopters, of which is the main reason I'm running PiAware.

Any hints would be great. I've even set up Virtual radar desktop and read from the FlightAware MLAT feed via my RasPi, and the helos I'm seeing in adsbexchange.com are definitely not in the FlightAware data. This is a common occurrence, and not just a one-off. I've been keeping an eye on it for a few weeks now.

If anyone knows why this is happening, do you happen to have a solution for me? I am mostly just interested in helos, and adsbexchange almost always shows them when they fly over my location, while my local dump1090 almost never shows them.

adsbexchange may be showing the helos as part of their MLAT network. Typically, helos aren't running ADS-B (with the exception here in California where CHP uses it). If you are seeing it on their network, but not your local network, you may not have enough flightaware stations near you that can produce a plot of these helos.

also, rather than feeding to ADSBexchange with VRS, its easier to send your data directly to them by following these instructions.

sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y install git
git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-exchange.git
cd adsb-exchange
chmod +x setup.sh
sudo ./setup.sh
cd ..

simplec6

adsbexchange may be showing the helos as part of their MLAT network. Typically, helos aren't running ADS-B (with the exception here in California where CHP uses it). If you are seeing it on their network, but not your local network, you may not have enough flightaware stations near you that can produce a plot of these helos.

also, rather than feeding to ADSBexchange with VRS, its easier to send your data directly to them by following these instructions.

sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y install git
git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-exchange.git
cd adsb-exchange
chmod +x setup.sh
sudo ./setup.sh
cd ..

I was thinking that originally, but from the data I've seen, the FlightAware MLAT network is very dense in my metro area, and the MLAT network on adsbexchange's network is much more sparse according to the map on their website.

I definitely see purple aircraft that show MLAT locations in their popup windows in my local dump1090 map, so it seems I am receiving quite a bit of MLAT activity around me from the FlightAware network, but for some reason these helos are mostly missing (I do see them very occasionally).

I see 2 scenarios that could be occurring:
1. The MLAT network and/or MLAT calculation methods on adsbexchange.com is producing more data on the particular helos I'm interested in, although their map shows only 1 person on their network anywhere nearby (within 50 miles).
2. FlightAware is removing the MLAT results of these specific helos for some reason, and so they aren't getting fed out to FlightAware contributors?

kma371

QRT
I was thinking that originally, but from the data I've seen, the FlightAware MLAT network is very dense in my metro area, and the MLAT network on adsbexchange's network is much more sparse according to the map on their website.

I definitely see purple aircraft that show MLAT locations in their popup windows in my local dump1090 map, so it seems I am receiving quite a bit of MLAT activity around me from the FlightAware network, but for some reason these helos are mostly missing (I do see them very occasionally).

I see 2 scenarios that could be occurring:
1. The MLAT network and/or MLAT calculation methods on adsbexchange.com is producing more data on the particular helos I'm interested in, although their map shows only 1 person on their network anywhere nearby (within 50 miles).
2. FlightAware is removing the MLAT results of these specific helos for some reason, and so they aren't getting fed out to FlightAware contributors?

Flightaware has been known to do that lately, so very much a possibility. Are they law enforcement or military?

kma371

QRT
Yea absbexchange had some posts in their forums that they will refuse to block aircraft as it's open protocol so theres really no sense in doing it because it's all in the clear anyhow.

simplec6

Anyone know how FlightAware decides the exact amount of MLAT results they send back to each PiAware on their network? Is it only the MLAT results of which that specific Pi was used for an MLAT measurement? I'm definitely not seeing a whole nation of MLAT results from that MLAT feed from FlightAware.

kma371

QRT
Anyone know how FlightAware decides the exact amount of MLAT results they send back to each PiAware on their network? Is it only the MLAT results of which that specific Pi was used for an MLAT measurement? I'm definitely not seeing a whole nation of MLAT results from that MLAT feed from FlightAware.

That's a good question for their forums.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

You get back MLAT results for any positions that you actively participated in MLAT calculations for. You don't get back MLAT results for others. It would be a tremendous burden for them to provide every feed with the full MLAT results, and everyone's PI wouldn't be able to handle it anyway.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.