BC125AT New Scanner Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Nice that they have the 'Auto' mode for AM/FM/NFM. But, it looks as if the freqency steps are locked into the old 95's ancient 5KHz steps in the 118-174MHz VHF band.
Larry

737mech

Premium Subscriber
5kHz step

Nice that they have the 'Auto' mode for AM/FM/NFM. But, it looks as if the freqency steps are locked into the old 95's ancient 5KHz steps in the 118-174MHz VHF band.
Larry

I agree. The step size for some VHF band is changing to 8.33 correct? That should be an option. I'd also like to know if the "PC connectivity" is the same for "Freescan" to deal with it? As far as sensitivity I hope it has the same as my BCT-15X on milair. One more thought, what is the antenna going to be? Stock BNC same as older models?

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'd also like to know if the "PC connectivity" is the same for "Freescan" to deal with it?

FreeSCAN works with DMA scanners only, not conventional bank scanners like the BC125AT is. You'll probably be looking at Butel ARC125 as the only software package, unless Uniden publishes something like I believe they have for the BC95XLT

One more thought, what is the antenna going to be? Stock BNC same as older models?

The antenna has a BNC connector.

pathalogical

I must say, this new radio is very nice looking. Last year I purchased a PSR 300 as my main air bander. It has 225-400, 1000 channels PLUS analog trunking. It is also way more sensitive than my 246 and 106 on air bands. Unfortunately there is no milair here in the Great White North so the 225-400 is useless except for the yearly airshow.

nanZor

Yep - with only two AA's for power, I'm hoping that the audio won't be on the low side - not ideal for the target market. Hopefully the engineers will pay attention to the audio quality of the the amp / speaker / casing for the best sound - and not the most hiss. The casing looks a bit larger than usual, so this might help but if the speaker is totally enclosed behind the battery case, this might be a tough problem.

Is charging via usb the usual 16 hour slow-charge? If so, what's the point? This would be the time to switch to LI-ion / LI-polymer batts to give you the battery performance you need to boost the audio level - provided the audio is quality to begin with.

Amateurs would appreciate dropping the range down to 220 / 222 mhz for the 1-1/4 cm band. AND, 20khz spacing for use in areas where amateurs on the UHF 440 band have switched to 20khz spacing away from 25khz. You miss a lot if you don't know this as a beginner when searching.

Oh yeah, spend the extra .0005 cents on a quality bnc connector. Most airband enthusiasts will probably swap out that 155 mhz duck for something longer for vhf airband - about 20 inches or so, so that bnc needs to be strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

questnz

Thank you UPman man for the update on the scanner. Unbelievable how much speculation if floating around about the scanner considering that it will be released in few months time, some already need more channels, better sensivity, better audio, better antenna, trunking, cheap price etc etc. WOW, hold on gentelman. Nobody seen or used scanner yet, wait!
Looks like it is a replacement for basic low end BC 73/93/95 scanner NOT the high end BC 396XT !!!
Those who need and want all bells and whistles need to look elsewhere and pay higher peice for extra facilities. Would I buy one ? yes definately I will, BC 125 got 2.5 times memory capacity (500 channels) of my old 93 (200) it is computer controlled, got Close Call, nice looking unit, small size and hopefully all early glitches if any will be corrected in future firmware releases. I see good cheap scanner for travelling, if you loose it or get confiscated at some airport not a big loss. Be positive, there is a market segment for this unit. Thank you Uniden. Ps for those who want/need newer scanner there is a new UBC396XT released for AUS/NZ market soon, details here :: Uniden Australia :: You can import from here http://andrewscom.com.au/site-section-07.htm

Last edited:

rjyoung

I do like the looks and features of this new unit, and have been considering replacing one or two of the scanners I now have. But the county I am in, along with many other agencies, have gone digital so I might be getting a 396xt instead. I'd also like to mention how I miss having a priority channel(s) on the HP.

pogbobo

I have to admit / agree that I really like how this new scanner looks ... it doesn't do anything for me monitoring-wise, but I think Uniden is on the right track

A+ for aesthetics, keep it going...

a bit off topic: I find the design of the Pro 107 and PSR 800 just absolutely hideous, so I am looking forward to Uniden's future (non HP !!!) digital scanners

imho, of course :cool:

jaymatt1978

Actually for WHAT IT IS, I am impressed.....let me explain. This is only the SECOND Uniden scanner, the first being the SC200 which I owned 2. The CTCSS/DCS decoding on the SC200 is ok but I like the decoding on the newer lines, starting with the BCT15 a lot better.. Now I know a lot of folks out there are going EVERYBODIES going digital and trunked well even if you live in an area with some digital and trunking there's always some analog and conventional somewhere to be found. A lso remember this scanner DOESN'T the BC996's, 396's and the HP, this scanner in theory would replace the BC92XLT, which again for what it is at that price I'd buy it. If it were in the $150-$200 range I'd buy it , even though I have a 396T. This would make a great secondary scanner. I drive the scooter around town maybe the towns right next store, all of which are plain Jane VHF, I would feel more comforterbale leaving a scanner like this on the scooter than say a 396T. I did that once and almost has to get it reapired

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm!

Unless I am mistaken or missing something, the scanner will only be narrow band compliant in the UHF side where there are 6.25 Khz. steps. They did not put the 7.5 Khz. steps on the VHF side, only 5 Khz. Can someone from UNIDEN please explain why this is being done? Furthermore, all the step sizes appear to be fixed! This is a problem. The 8.33 Khz steps on the air band are not in place in the US yet, we are still using 25 Khz. step sizes.

Manny

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

unless i am mistaken or missing something, the scanner will only be narrow band compliant in the uhf side where there are 6.25 khz. Steps. They did not put the 7.5 khz. Steps on the vhf side, only 5 khz. Can someone from uniden please explain why this is being done? Furthermore, all the step sizes appear to be fixed! This is a problem. The 8.33 khz steps on the air band are not in place in the us yet, we are still using 25 khz. Step sizes.

Manny

crickets ....................................!

jaymatt1978

They're going to say they're keeping the price down anmd CAN'T have "everything". On the other hand there should a few "standards" for new scanners, namely 6.25kHz, 7.5 kHz, 8.33 kHz steps, PL/DPL decoding,computer control, alphatags. Those are the bare minimum standards. NOTICE I didn't include stuff like trunking or digital, we're talking absolutely need

Unless I am mistaken or missing something, the scanner will only be narrow band compliant in the UHF side where there are 6.25 Khz. steps. They did not put the 7.5 Khz. steps on the VHF side, only 5 Khz. Can someone from UNIDEN please explain why this is being done? Furthermore, all the step sizes appear to be fixed! This is a problem. The 8.33 Khz steps on the air band are not in place in the US yet, we are still using 25 Khz. step sizes.

Manny

milcom_chaser

step size?

They're going to say they're keeping the price down anmd CAN'T have "everything". On the other hand there should a few "standards" for new scanners, namely 6.25kHz, 7.5 kHz, 8.33 kHz steps, PL/DPL decoding,computer control, alphatags. Those are the bare minimum standards. NOTICE I didn't include stuff like trunking or digital, we're talking absolutely need

Where are you guys seeing the step size specs for this radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.