BCD436HP screen DUST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have only had my radio for two weeks now and have the same trouble. Some dust has got under the display screen. Of course Uniden did not desing a seal so this would not happen. My MOTO does the same thing, but it takes about a year for some dust to get under it. O well just open up the back from time to time and clean it out with a can of air duster so I don't scratch the bottom surface. That would not be good. I guess when you tend to take a portable wherever you go its going to happen. Dust is everywhere

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think it would be fine to take it apart. Make sure you use the right screwdrivers and don't strip any of the screws and remember how you too it apart and clean it with an air duster. You should be fine

yaesumofo

I'll tell you what the screen dust is coming in because the "lens" is NOT sealed against the front case. A bit of silicone sealer around the edge of the "lens" sorts out the ongoing problem. Just a small bead all around the edge on the inside.. This stops most of the dust ingress.
YAESUMOFO

Sent from the moon using the x12c mkXXII

mrkelso

Mine is rapidly building dust under the screen. Lets see if i can post a pic of what is going on.

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,540

NYPDAUX

If you got a can of air try spraying it where the headphones is or that is the only place is probably getting in through doing that might remove the dust from the screen

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
My screen looked like the OP's screen after a couple of weeks when I first got the scanner. I opened it up, cleaned it out and reassembled the radio. So far now that I've had the scanner for a couple of months it hasn't accumulated much more dust. A little bit here and there, which is annoying but not so much so that I feel the need to take it apart again. However, I think the tip of using some silicone to seal that lens to the case is a rock-solid idea. Next time I have the scanner apart, I'll be doing this also.

-AZ

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have both x36's and the psr800 don't see any dust as of yet. I haven't taken them outside at all since I had them.

mrkelso

My screen looked like the OP's screen after a couple of weeks when I first got the scanner. I opened it up, cleaned it out and reassembled the radio. So far now that I've had the scanner for a couple of months it hasn't accumulated much more dust. A little bit here and there, which is annoying but not so much so that I feel the need to take it apart again. However, I think the tip of using some silicone to seal that lens to the case is a rock-solid idea. Next time I have the scanner apart, I'll be doing this also.

-AZ

I hear ya. Do you have a preferred silicon to use of just any old brand in a tube.

daveharpe

I had a chunk of dust get under the front. Compressed air across the FRONT of the radio did the trick. Didn't take much...just a gentle dust and it was gone.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Mine is rapidly building dust under the screen. Lets see if i can post a pic of what is going on.

45559d1397492143-bcd436hp-screen-dust-img_0356.jpg

Woah...that's really unacceptable. It's like a snow globe! lol..

Send an e-mail over to Uniden describing your situation, so they can provide better seals from here on out. Maybe, they'll replace that for you as well.

al95

If I open my radio will this void my warranty :( My BCD396T did the same thing I waited on year for the warranty to expire then open it up clean the screen and add some silicon around the screen. This stop the dust from entering the radio, and I also purchase some headphone jack plugs to cover the headphone opening. I have not seen any dust on my screen. Can Uniden fix will it cost them a lot of money just to add some silicon around the screen and headphone plug. I brought 100 plugs for $5.00 on ebay.

AZScanner

Woah...that's really unacceptable. It's like a snow globe! lol..

Send an e-mail over to Uniden describing your situation, so they can provide better seals from here on out. Maybe, they'll replace that for you as well.

I have the same problem but I like the scanner way too much to part with it for a couple of weeks or more for Uniden to do what I could do in less than ten minutes myself. I'll clean it up again soon and this time put the silicone on it to keep the dust out. If that voids my warranty, so be it. Uniden's repair rates are very reasonable if I need to send it in later on.

-AZ

mrkelso

I think Upman should advise as to what to do with this dust problem.

We should not be taking these radios apart to clean dust.

This is a design flaw.

AZScanner

I think Upman should advise as to what to do with this dust problem.

We should not be taking these radios apart to clean dust.

This is a design flaw.

Paul can't answer this one. If he says "sure go ahead and take your radio apart" then any damage done in the process causes a possible liability for Uniden. The only answer he can logically give us is "send it in and we'll clean it" which sucks - I don't want to go 2 weeks without my scanner! The piler's on would come out of the woodwork to cry "See? See? These radios suck!" and that's not fair/true either.

This problem isn't limited to just the 436, or even to Uniden for that matter. As home-based scanner repairs go, this one's about as easy as they come. Took me maybe 10 minutes total to clean mine out the first time, and that was just because I was taking my time with it. I can't say what's best for everyone as skills and dexterity levels vary from person to person, but I took my radio apart, cleaned it and reassembled it without issue, and I'm all thumbs with electronics. If I can do it, I think just about anyone can.

-AZ

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I just read this thread; it seems that this is certainly a warranty issue and should be repaired by Uniden. I put a screen saver on mine, but I also left those small rounded corners open. Since I am using a Scannermaster case, I will probably put black electrical tape on those vulnerable areas and then back in the case again.

JAKE---Call Uniden and see if they can help.

Greg

Can anyone who opened the case post a few pictures of it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.