Connect Nooelec RTL-SDR to terrestrial TV aerial?

daviestar

Hi there,

I am very new to the subject of SDR, so please be gentle!

I'm based in the UK. I'm getting some work done to my roof, and in the next few days I have an opportunity to change/upgrade my TV aerial.

I've been pondering a project for a wee while, to use a Raspberry Pi to tune into our favourite radio station, BBC Radio 6 (which is DAB only), then potentially stream it around the house so we don't need multiple DAB radios.

I have been looking at the Nooelec RTL-SDR v5 dongle for this purpose.

My question is... can I plug this dongle into my terrestrial TV aerial? without frying it?

I have the option of installing a much smaller aerial with some gain (or at least, I know I need to plug it in), as someone gave me it, it's the SLx 27895K4. Could I also use this one with the Nooelec RTL-SDR v5?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dave

BucksGuyUSA

you might want to put a DC blocker between the sdr and the antenna

ANTENNA ----- AMPLIFIER------AMPLIFIER POWER INJECTOR GIZMO-------DC BLOCKER------SDR
Since the amplifier could be anywhere, put the DC blocker directly before the SDR.

In the USA, they are about $10, sure you can find similar in UK:

Bear in mind that your TV antenna is most likely:
(a) Directional and...
(b) Optimized for TV frequencies in the UK 470 MHz to 860 MHz

DAB for BBC6/12C is 227.360 MHz. It CAN work. The question is will it work well. Maybe.

daviestar

Thanks, that's helpful info.

I've just looked up the specs of the SLx 27895K4 and found under Frequency:
VHF: 47-230MHz, UHF: 470-782MHz

So it seems this compact aerial is good for DAB radio frequencies. As for the one already installed on my roof, it came with the house and I have no idea.

I'll pick up the Voltage Blocking Capacitor you mentioned. I'm glad I asked, as I thought there might be a risk with the amplified aerial.

Thanks again.