DMR Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufus-7

Hi everyone, I am having trouble with programming a mototrbo capacity plus system into my Whistler 1080. The system is the metlife stadium in East Rutherford. I tried to import the system from the library but when I complete the process of importing and select the scan list, the scan list shows as an empty scan list. Please forgive me if this has been asked in another thread but I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
That works for interpreting the display, but it won't work for programming TGIDs.

Any TGID programmed that is >= 2**16 won't be "seen" when that TGID is received OTA. Received TGIDs >= 2**16 will only be heard via a Wildcard TGRP object - and even then, they'll be displayed mod 0x10000.
Hello,

That is interesting since N2PQQ reported he could program TG 10005000 into the scanner as TG 43528 and heard audio. There could be more unsigned shorts about.

73 Eric

DonS

That is interesting since N2PQQ reported he could program TG 10005000 into the scanner as TG 43528 and heard audio. There could be more unsigned shorts about.

Did he program it "as TG 43528"? That would work. I was referring to TGIDs that were programmed as >= 2**16.

I probably misunderstood your original suggestion. Re-reading it, I think you were suggesting programming TGRP objects with <TGID & 0xFFFF>. That would work, as long as the system didn't end up with duplicates in the low 16 bits.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Did he program it "as TG 43528"? That would work. I was referring to TGIDs that were programmed as >= 2**16.

I probably misunderstood your original suggestion. Re-reading it, I think you were suggesting programming TGRP objects with <TGID & 0xFFFF>. That would work, as long as the system didn't end up with duplicates in the low 16 bits.

Yes I programmed it as 43528

gordonbrittas

I have the talk group ID,the cc number and invidual numbers of the radios (7 individual radios) and the frequency.

Do i have to put each radio number in the trunked radio system?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Don't enter the radio IDs. That's just if you want to hear individual calls or just traffic transmitted by a specific radio.

gordonbrittas

shame the forum doesn't have thank you tabs on each individual post as i would click,click away. : )

ECB85

TS?

Hi, I'm working with the EZ scan program to DRM system, but can not find where to set time slot TS 1 or 2, only the LNC I get?

Thanks for the help.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Looks like all you need is the frequency, DMR mode, and LCN if known. Color code if you have a frequency shared by a nearby system.

ECB85

DaveIN ok, thanks for the info, then I understand that :
COLOR CODE =LCN

thanks.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
COLOR CODE =LCN

No. Not at all.

Think of the color code like a continuous tone squelch or a network access code. It helps identify a system (i.e. to prevent interference of nearby systems).

The LCN, or logical channel number, is an assignment of various frequencies in a trunked radio system. Instead of the control channel providing the entire frequency the radio should tune to (with would substantially slow down the number of grant requests and other data on a control channel), the radio is told to go to a certain LCN. It is up to use to program the frequency that corresponds to a certain LCN in our scanners. Some systems, such as P25 Phase 1 digital, use predetermined bandplans based on the LCN (the LCN given is the offset from a specific point), so you don't have to enter the frequency plan in your scanner.

If you're just monitoring conventional DMR, you don't have to worry about LCN. Most people won't have to worry about the color code either.

ECB85

ok, aggiecon, thanks for your answer, then if I set my scanner to scan EZ, where it says:
Trunked Radio Systems, I set the following:
000001 = alpha tag, type = DMR
Trunked Site Information System;
001 = Alpha Tag
and then in the right box, ignore the LCN and place the corresponding frequency and color (if known).

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Are you programming from the scanner or from the EZ Scan PC software application?

The alpha tag/label of the system, site, radio, talkgroup, frequency, etc. is irrelevant. It is merely for your use for keeping things organized. It has nothing to do with how a radio transmission is received.

I am trying to figure out if you are wanting to program a "system," which implies it is trunked with a control channel and multiple voice channels (channel being a unique frequency). Or are you wanting to program a single frequency conventional DMR?

If it is just one frequency, LCN does not matter.

If it is trunked, LCN does matter.

It's my philosophy to program the least amount of information to achieve reception. Unless you are experiencing interference between two systems, I would not worry about programming the color code.

If you have a link to the info for what you are trying to program, that would be useful to see.

Feel free to email me through RR forums and I will help you out.

GoldenHawk

I am at races now with my old analog rs pro 84 and can here beeps on first freq. 457.16250. I do not get any other noise on the other two Freq. Thanks for any help or suggestions

GoldenHawk

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
GoldenHawk,

I did not see your posts until now. I suppose you have to post a few more times before they will let your correspond privately with other forum members.

This is probably a day late and a dollar short at this point, but what firmware do you have on your 1080? If you have the newest version, which was released last week, then you can program the frequencies conventionally, which is much easier than doing it as a "trunked" system. Let me know which version you have, and I will guide you through it.

I hope you had a good time at the race track.

GoldenHawk

Aggie,
Thanks for the reply. I received the scanner just yesterday in the mail so no harm on just seeing the post.
I did the firmware update as soon as it arrived and I can hear a local PD that RR says is TRBO. So now that the scanner can decode TRBO is that the same as DMR? And is DMR the same thing as trunked? Sorry if theses are stupid questions. Feel like I am back in college the last few days trying to read up on all the jargon of scanners CCTCS, DMR, Color Codes.....makes my head spin.

So can I just create a scan list with the freq listed in RR database like a normal freq.?

Also can you explain the V scanner part of the scanner? As I read it, I can create a v scanner folder for home so I can hear PD and FD and things like that but then can I create a v scanner folder just for the race track so I don't have to turn off all the other scan list? If I am correct on my understanding then how do I create them and load to scanner? I do not understand how to create them differently using EZ Scanner software.

Thanks for everything,
GoldenHawk

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
GoldenHawk,

A little delayed, but the reply I promised. They are no stupid questions.

DMR, an acronym for digital mobile radio, is a set of standards for narrow band radio communications. Mototrbo is one variety of DMR. There are many others. Since /\/\ is huge, a lot of the DMR systems in the country are Motorola. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mobile_radio

DMR and trunked are not the same. Trunked systems allow a large number of talkgroups to utilize a limited number of frequencies. There is a control channel and (usually) multiple voice channels. Traffic is prioritized and assigned a voice channel. DMR can be trunked, or it can be only one frequency. Likewise, trunked systems come in many different protocols (P25, EDACS, DMR, etc.). To make things a bit more complicated, a single DMR frequency can handle two conversations (or channels) on two separate timeslots, referred to as time division multiple access. There are two time frame slots and the information rapidly alternates between channels.

If it is a single frequency, you can add it almost like normal; just make sure you add it from the Conventional Frequencies tab and select Channel Type as "DMR Digital." However, if it is trunked, you will have to add it through the Trunked Radio Systems tab, get the LCN order and frequencies correct, and add a wildcard talkgroup in the talkgroup details tab (and add that to the appropriate scanlist).

You are correct about the use of V-Scanner folders. Each one is an entirely new scanner configuration. It's like having 10 scanners in your glovebox, each configured differently, but you can use only one at a time. All of the settings (General Settings and Advanced Features tabs) can be different between V-Scanner configurations, as well as the scanlists. Generally, the best use if for geographic, use, or time purposes. For instance, for going to the race (I have a NASCAR V-Scanner config), even if it is in the town where you live. Or you might be going on a trip, so you make several V-Scanner configurations for the various places you will visit. Or perhaps you have one V-Scanner folder for the day and one for night, with volumes and sounds muted, as well as focusing on only the most important channels worth waking you up.

To make or change V-Scanner folders, the options are under the File menu in EZ Scan. From the scanner, they are accessed from the main screen, "V-Scanner," where you can select (with the left and right arrows only, for some reason) and load other V-Scanner folders. Easier to Read Whistler WS1080/1088 Handheld Scanner and Software Manual

To create a new V-Scanner folder from the EZ Scan software, point to File -> New Configuration. Select an empty folder and click select. You can then go to File -> Set V-Scanner Description to give it a meaningful name. When you transfer your data to your scanner, you can select which V-Scanner folders you want to copy over.

I have no clue why it's called "New Configuration" rather than "New V-Scanner Folder." I understand that it is incredibly confusing. I try to give feedback regarding the software, but I don't think they are interested. It is inconsistent and incomplete, but I guess too late once you already own the scanner -- better to focus resources on marketing... Indeed, why are you having to learn from me how to use your Whistler scanner? Oh, the world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.