HomePatrol-1 v2.03.01 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzalu

OK, so, am I totally confused? When I am setting up discovery mode, I thought I can only record up to 3 or 6 minutes whatever that was?

So, can you elaborate? I am sorry if I missed this in the manual, but I need help then :)

--Can I set up the HP1 to simply record EVERYTHING until the card fills if I chose to?
--Short of that, if I am discovering a system, can I record all activity? Not just NEW discoveries but also all the well known ones if DB check is on or all if DB check is off, etc.

Thanks all... it is good to know I can use a bigger card. So I just insert it into my scanner and let [it] or Sentinel do automagic on it? How big a card can be inserted? I have a lot of Class 10 and greater 32 and 64 GB cards since I am into photography as well.

Cheers!
Manny, N2MAV

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
In discovery mode, the scanner will record however long you set the timer for. If you set it for 600 seconds (10 minutes), you will get 10 minutes of audio - meaning 10 minutes with all the silence taken out, not 10 minutes from when you hit "start". Since the purpose of discovery mode is to get an idea of what the channel is, the expectation is that monitoring the channel for 10 minutes worth of audio will be sufficient to figure it out. The 10 minutes applies to one channel - so if you have two different frequencies you're hitting on in discovery mode, you will ultimately end up with up to 10 minutes of recordings for each one.

If you want to record everything, including known talkgroups/frequencies, set "Compare to Database" to OFF. This will pretend the DB entry doesn't exist, and record everything, but up to your time limit (10 minutes using my example of 600 seconds). If you set "Compare to Database" to ON, things which match the criteria (system/talkgroup or system/frequency/tone) will be skipped.

If you want to record more than 10 minutes, discovery mode is probably not for you. If you tap the Record button on the main screen, the radio will record audio files until you tell it to stop (or shut the radio off, or the card fills up). It writes the recordings as individual files no more than 3 minutes in length, but they are stored in a file/folder structure which you can read in Sentinel or load into Windows and play back in order. I have, as I've said before, had multiple days worth of audio stored in this fashion.

As I said I've been successful with 32GB cards. I haven't been lucky enough to happen across any quality 64GB cards yet, so I can't be sure with those. When I made the switch from the included 2GB card to my own 32GB card, what I did was copy the entire 2GB card over to a folder on my PC using Windows Explorer; put in the blank 32GB card; and copy the folder back off the computer to the 32GB card, and then put it in the scanner.

D

DaveNF2G

That is up to 10 minutes per recording. I think that is what is confusing some users. When the 10-minute recording is done, the scanner will start another recording. On playback, you use the menu functions to select the various 10-minute recordings you wish to play back. Audio will be recorded in 10-minute blocks up to the limit of the storage card.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That is up to 10 minutes per recording. I think that is what is confusing some users. When the 10-minute recording is done, the scanner will start another recording. On playback, you use the menu functions to select the various 10-minute recordings you wish to play back. Audio will be recorded in 10-minute blocks up to the limit of the storage card.

In discovery mode, the radio will stop listening to a channel after the max record time has been reached.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Going to lock and de-sticky this one since there has been a new firmware update.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.