BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Just got my Uniden BCD325P2 - quick question

N2WWW

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, i am brand new to RR as of about an hour ago. I became a premium member because of the vast knowledge here and I want to support a place that offers so much help.

The question I have is this, I uploaded some areas near where Iive. from RR to my scanner using Proscan.

I have looked all over, how do I only listen to a specific town if my scanner is scanning everything I uploaded from files on RR?

For example, I live in the town of Guilderland. I want to hear all the guilderland police, fire ems AND the guilderland central school district buses/schools ONLY. I cant figure out how to turn banks on and off like the good old days. is that still a thing? i havent purchased a scanner in so long. they have become very complicated since the analog days.

I want to be able to upload a bunch of things i would like to listen to and have the option to select them on and off so the scanner doesnt scan every single thing uploaded. how do i do this? i have tried looking on the forums and i cant find it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Oh boy have we been down this road before about 'reading the manual'....

There are lots of new terminology that these Uniden DMA scanners use. This ain't your daddy's banked scanners anymore. But we have lots of help to get you over the hump, starting with....

We have a VERY extensive FAQ for these scanners, and you should, I think, read right from the beginning. As I understand it, there is also an online manual for ProScan (the author is a member here) Our FAQ can be found here...

I would start with the Nuts and Bolts section, then jump to the Relevant Resource Material article; there you will find the Easier to Read manual for the 325P2. Since a lot of folks seem to like videos, that Material article has a handy cross reference of videos from various groups to help you with the programming.

ProScan's manual can be had from here (in PDF format)

You can get ProScan help here....

And if memory serves, you are in NY state and we have a forum for it here. You might be able to get a ProScan file from someone to get you started here...

HTH...Mike

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, i am brand new to RR as of about an hour ago. I became a premium member because of the vast knowledge here and I want to support a place that offers so much help.

The question I have is this, I uploaded some areas near where Iive. from RR to my scanner using Proscan.

I have looked all over, how do I only listen to a specific town if my scanner is scanning everything I uploaded from files on RR?
Welcome to RadioReference.

You do not show your location in your profile, but you are referring to Guilderland, which is a town in Albany County, NY. Is that the correct location? If so, that city has some conventional channels, as listed on the database page for the county. Your town, as well as the county & several other cities in the county are listed as using this trunked system.

I want to hear all the guilderland police, fire ems AND the guilderland central school district buses/schools ONLY. I cant figure out how to turn banks on and off like the good old days. is that still a thing? i havent purchased a scanner in so long. they have become very complicated since the analog days.
Your 325P2 does not use banks. However, it does use Quick Keys, which you can use to separate the various cities & agencies you might be interested in. When you program that trunked system, you can split up the talkgroups by city and/or usage. Put them into Groups, which you can turn on or off as if they were banks on one of the older scanners.

Since you are a Premium Subscriber, you can import the systems and channels of interest to you using software. Are you using software at this time, and, if so, which program? Software that works with your scanner (the 325P2) includes FreeSCAN, ProScan, & ARC-XT. FreeScan ism as the name implies, free, While it is no longer supported by the original author, it does still work. There is a user guide for FreeSCAN in the Wiki here on RadioReference, which also has links on where to download the program.

ProScan has many more features & capabilities, and supports multiple Uniden scanners. Besides importing system information from the database, it also includes the ability to control the scanner using your PC, and can also log activity. It has a 30 day free trial period, with a purchase cost, should you want to continue using after the trial, of $50. That also includes free updates to the program. The author of ProScan is active on the forums, and responds to inquiries.

ARCXT can also be used. There are two versions: The Basic version only does programming, including downloading from the database It's cost is about $40. If you also want virtual control & logging features, you would need the Pro version, about $70. It only supports the 325P2, 996P2, as well as the older XT models (396XT, 996XT, and BCT15X). It also has a free trial period.

I prefer ProScan, because it supports multiple models of scanners that I own, and is a better value @ $50.

There is an "Easier to Read" manual for the 325P2, found here.

You might also want to interact with other members in your area. If so, use the Report link in the lower left corner of your post, and request that this thread be moved to your state forum. Members in your area are more likely to see your questions there instead of here, as Mike has suggested.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Oh boy have we been down this road before about 'reading the manual'....

There are lots of new terminology that these Uniden DMA scanners use. This ain't your daddy's banked scanners anymore. But we have lots of help to get you over the hump, starting with....

We have a VERY extensive FAQ for these scanners, and you should, I think, read right from the beginning. As I understand it, there is also an online manual for ProScan (the author is a member here) Our FAQ can be found here...

I would start with the Nuts and Bolts section, then jump to the Relevant Resource Material article; there you will find the Easier to Read manual for the 325P2. Since a lot of folks seem to like videos, that Material article has a handy cross reference of videos from various groups to help you with the programming.

ProScan's manual can be had from here (in PDF format)

You can get ProScan help here....

And if memory serves, you are in NY state and we have a forum for it here. You might be able to get a ProScan file from someone to get you started here...

HTH...Mike
Well said Mike! Thanks for nipping “read the manual” in the bud.

Spending just one hour with the manual and RR may seem like a half hearted effort before asking this forum for help but it doesn’t take that long for a newbie to realize it can become a frustrating endeavor. It’s a steep learning curve.

What I can add to your post is only this… a minor point but it’s important… Follow your advice. Check out the help sites you listed. But do it in bite sized sessions. Do not overwhelm yourself. And before you know it a working knowledge of the scanner will become apparent. After all, we all started out from the same place and we did it, so can the newbie. Yes, it’s true we started out when things were simpler and grew with the technology of the monitoring hobby, so learning may have come faster to us. A newbie just needs to catch up first and before you know it they will be on the same page as the rest of us (or at a level that satisfies their expectations of what a scanner should do for them).

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
I live in the town of Guilderland. I want to hear all the guilderland police, fire ems
Though there are some analog frequencies listed in the RR database for this city for those particular agencies: Albany County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The only issue is that the digital frequencies for these agencies are using Simulcast, and well the BCD325P2 doesn't work well with Simulcast -- it's ether very choppy or inaudible.: Albany/Schenectady Counties Trunking System, Regional, New York

Now if you are able to scan the analog frequencies and get something there, then you should be good, but if you don't -- they are silent, then that means they are using the digital frequencies and you will be out of luck, saying that, if you can, you may want to return it and get yourself the Uniden SDS100 portable scanner, since that one will handle Simulcast.

More info on Simulcast: Simulcast - The RadioReference Wiki

tvengr

Well Known Member
I cant figure out how to turn banks on and off like the good old days. is that still a thing?
Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 19

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Well said Mike! Thanks for nipping “read the manual” in the bud.

Spending just one hour with the manual and RR may seem like a half hearted effort before asking this forum for help but it doesn’t take that long for a newbie to realize it can become a frustrating endeavor. It’s a steep learning curve.

What I can add to your post is only this… a minor point but it’s important… Follow your advice. Check out the help sites you listed. But do it in bite sized sessions. Do not overwhelm yourself. And before you know it a working knowledge of the scanner will become apparent. After all, we all started out from the same place and we did it, so can the newbie. Yes, it’s true we started out when things were simpler and grew with the technology of the monitoring hobby, so learning may have come faster to us. A newbie just needs to catch up first and before you know it they will be on the same page as the rest of us (or at a level that satisfies their expectations of what a scanner should do for them).
Try programming
Though there are some analog frequencies listed in the RR database for this city for those particular agencies: Albany County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The only issue is that the digital frequencies for these agencies are using Simulcast, and well the BCD325P2 doesn't work well with Simulcast -- it's ether very choppy or inaudible.: Albany/Schenectady Counties Trunking System, Regional, New York

Now if you are able to scan the analog frequencies and get something there, then you should be good, but if you don't -- they are silent, then that means they are using the digital frequencies and you will be out of luck, saying that, if you can, you may want to return it and get yourself the Uniden SDS100 portable scanner, since that one will handle Simulcast.

More info on Simulcast: Simulcast - The RadioReference Wiki
Did you try using less antenna? The idea is to loose the weaker but interfering simulcasts by attenuation. Try only programming one strong site (usually the one you are closest to) while using a no gain antenna. I’ve heard some use a paper clip. It first is try other locations within your home… look for that sweet spot.

TeeJayZee

Premium Subscriber
Did you try using less antenna? The idea is to loose the weaker but interfering simulcasts by attenuation. Try only programming one strong site (usually the one you are closest to) while using a no gain antenna. I’ve heard some use a paper clip. It first is try other locations within your home… look for that sweet spot.
None of those workaround tricks worked for me, I'm afraid. The only way it worked 100% was getting the SDS100 for Simulcast transmissions.

I can have both the BCD325P2 and SDS100 side to side, and only the SDS will get the full Simulcast transmission, where with the BCD it will get either bits and pieces or nothing at all from the same Simulcast transmission.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Sorry to hear the workarounds didn’t do the trick. I live 20 miles west of Hartford, Ct. The state has a simulcast system called Ct. Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN) where the state police (among others) hang out. To date, I’ve not noticed any simulcast issues with my BCD325P2. It could be that I’m not receiving every transmission but I’m hearing traffic on the TG’s I monitor and never had reason to suspect I may be missing something. I’ve never heard distortion so if simulcast is an issue at my location it’s simply ignoring entire transmissions. So, it’s time to do a comparison with my SDS100 but I’m pretty sure I am not bothered by simulcast.

I relate this because I’ve read various posts that say the 325P2 doesn’t work on simulcast systems. Generally speaking, this may be true. It certainly wasn’t designed to combat simulcast. But it’s not true in all cases. I may be one of the lucky ones that resides in a local not bothered by simulcast, or have selected TG’s that normally don’t use it. (I only program 3 sites. New Britain FD, and state police Troop H & L and since only two of them belongs to the same agency, I believe those two would be the only two sites that could have reason to simulcast. And since they are different Troops, there’s little traffic that goes out to multiple troops… a guess on my part but it does explain why I’m not bothered while using the 325P2.

However, this may change in the near future. There are 2 towns next door to my town who are joining CLMRN. And each town will be firing up multiple sites. These sites will be busy because they will be relying on simulcast for coverage in certain areas and inside structures. As such, I fully expect every transmission will be simulcast on all of their respective sites as a matter of routine. When that happens I will expect simulcast issues… probably end up dedicating my 325P2 to airshows, anything and everything that’s NOT simulcast. But the 325P2 does work with simulcast systems under certain conditions. Uniden may like the general attitude that the 325P2 doesn’t work as it points the consumer towards its premier handheld scanner, the SDS100… I don’t know but it’s a good bet.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I relate this because I’ve read various posts that say the 325P2 doesn’t work on simulcast systems. Generally speaking, this may be true. It certainly wasn’t designed to combat simulcast. But it’s not true in all cases. I may be one of the lucky ones that resides in a local not bothered by simulcast, or have selected TG’s that normally don’t use it. (I only program 3 sites. New Britain FD, and state police Troop H & L and since only two of them belongs to the same agency, I believe those two would be the only two sites that could have reason to simulcast. And since they are different Troops, there’s little traffic that goes out to multiple troops… a guess on my part but it does explain why I’m not bothered while using the 325P2.
Yes, generally speaking it IS true that the 325P2/996P2 don't do well with simulcast systems. You appear to have won the simulcast lottery and are close enough to one tower so your scanner only "hears" the signal and is able to decode the voice traffic. Most people are not that lucky. I have both a 325P2 and 996P2 and they cannot pick up *anything* from the simulcast system here in our county.

I think you are also misunderstanding how a simulcast system works. Each of the "sites" in a simulcast system is made up of a number of towers and the signal is transmitted simultaneously from all of the towers at the same time on the same frequency. The tiny difference in time that it takes for the signals to get to the receiver (and the consequent phase differences) are what make it very difficult for a traditonal scanner to monitor that type of signal.

ALL traffic on a simulcast system is simulcast. There aren't any TGs that "don't use it".

If you go to this link you'll see where the towers for the New Britain simulcast site are located. There are only three, so I can definitely see where you could be located far enough away from two of them that the 325P2 is working OK for you.

To contrast, the simulcast site that I monitor in our county has *nine* towers, and I am pretty much equal distance to two of them, so it's no surprise that my 325P2 is deaf on that system.
However, this may change in the near future. There are 2 towns next door to my town who are joining CLMRN. And each town will be firing up multiple sites. These sites will be busy because they will be relying on simulcast for coverage in certain areas and inside structures. As such, I fully expect every transmission will be simulcast on all of their respective sites as a matter of routine. When that happens I will expect simulcast issues… probably end up dedicating my 325P2 to airshows, anything and everything that’s NOT simulcast. But the 325P2 does work with simulcast systems under certain conditions. Uniden may like the general attitude that the 325P2 doesn’t work as it points the consumer towards its premier handheld scanner, the SDS100… I don’t know but it’s a good bet.
Again, if a site is simulcast, then ALL traffic on that site is simulcast ... and a site is NOT a tower, it is a number of towers. It sounds like the nearby towns will be setting up a single simulcast site, made up of multiple towers.

As far as Uniden pushing people to get an SDS scanner, I have never seen that. Indeed, people on this site have argued that Uniden should WARN people not to buy any scanner other than an SDS if they are trying to listen to a simulcast system, but I don't think you'll find that on any site selling Uniden scanners. You are also assuming that Uniden makes more money on the SDS scanners than on one of the older models. That *might* be true, based on the higher cost, but a scanner like the BDC325P2 was based on an older design and I'm sure the development costs have been paid for many times over, so the profit might be higher than on an SDS100.

There are also people on this site that have argued that "my BCD992P2 works fine for me so it will work for you" which is absolutely not true. Personally, I tell people 'You probably will have problems listening to that simulcast system with anything other than an SDS scanner, but you might get lucky".

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yes, generally speaking it IS true that the 325P2/996P2 don't do well with simulcast systems. You appear to have won the simulcast lottery and are close enough to one tower so your scanner only "hears" the signal and is able to decode the voice traffic. Most people are not that lucky. I have both a 325P2 and 996P2 and they cannot pick up *anything* from the simulcast system here in our county.

I think you are also misunderstanding how a simulcast system works. Each of the "sites" in a simulcast system is made up of a number of towers and the signal is transmitted simultaneously from all of the towers at the same time on the same frequency. The tiny difference in time that it takes for the signals to get to the receiver (and the consequent phase differences) are what make it very difficult for a traditonal scanner to monitor that type of signal.

ALL traffic on a simulcast system is simulcast. There aren't any TGs that "don't use it".

If you go to this link you'll see where the towers for the New Britain simulcast site are located. There are only three, so I can definitely see where you could be located far enough away from two of them that the 325P2 is working OK for you.

To contrast, the simulcast site that I monitor in our county has *nine* towers, and I am pretty much equal distance to two of them, so it's no surprise that my 325P2 is deaf on that system.

Again, if a site is simulcast, then ALL traffic on that site is simulcast ... and a site is NOT a tower, it is a number of towers. It sounds like the nearby towns will be setting up a single simulcast site, made up of multiple towers.

As far as Uniden pushing people to get an SDS scanner, I have never seen that. Indeed, people on this site have argued that Uniden should WARN people not to buy any scanner other than an SDS if they are trying to listen to a simulcast system, but I don't think you'll find that on any site selling Uniden scanners. You are also assuming that Uniden makes more money on the SDS scanners than on one of the older models. That *might* be true, based on the higher cost, but a scanner like the BDC325P2 was based on an older design and I'm sure the development costs have been paid for many times over, so the profit might be higher than on an SDS100.

There are also people on this site that have argued that "my BCD992P2 works fine for me so it will work for you" which is absolutely not true. Personally, I tell people 'You probably will have problems listening to that simulcast system with anything other than an SDS scanner, but you might get lucky".
Please excuse my confusion over the terminology. I referred to transmitting towers as sites. This is wrong. Avon, for example, will have possibly 3 towers, all transmitting the same transmission at the same time. Those towers make up only ONE site. But that does create some confusion for me… The State Police are on this system (CLMRN) and they have numerous towers throughout the state, broken down by barracks. There are Troop H, L, F, etc. that have numerous transmitting towers (different geographic locations) that provide coverage for their respective Troop boundaries. These towers use a bank of frequencies that are different than other Troops. Troop L has a bunch of assigned frequencies that differ than what Troop H uses. Are the Troops considered their own site? Because they use different frequencies? Or, is the entire state considered a single site? My assumption is ALL towers have the ability to transmit on the frequencies assigned to any Troop? So, when a Troop H car travels outside of H barracks territory, can no longer access the Troop H towers, goes into L barracks territory, the towers in L barracks territory come alive, where the Trooper doesn’t need to switch his/her radio manually to a different setting?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It is confusing as "site" is one of those terms that has multiple meanings and those meanings are contradictory to a degree.

What is now called a site used to be called a zone which was much more clear.

Now, a site can refer to a single site or a groups of sites.

rbluesky

For example, I live in the town of Guilderland. I want to hear all the guilderland police, fire ems AND the guilderland central school district buses/schools ONLY. I cant figure out how to turn banks on and off like the good old days. is that still a thing? i havent purchased a scanner in so long. they have become very complicated since the analog days.

I want to be able to upload a bunch of things i would like to listen to and have the option to select them on and off so the scanner doesnt scan every single thing uploaded. how do i do this? i have tried looking on the forums and i cant find it.
Hi Please go to YouTube and search for the "the errod1944 show " watch all of his video on the BCD996P2 mobile same as the Handhelds
It's the best !!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried tweeking the P25 setting? Been a week on my 325 and spending time with different P25 settings to get the best receive it will do. Already know my SDS200 will blow it out of the water on simulcast but my 325 is for my truck when I get it set up properly. It takes time to make those adjustments, usually a few days.