Kansas roll call

monitorman

KS rollcall

I'm not a fan of stickies but this thread probably should be one (hint) to keep it active. ;)

Last edited:

rick521

Kansas Roll Call

I live in Salina, Ks. Have a BC250D. Listen to Saline, McPherson, Ottawa and Dickinson, counties. Also visit grandchild in Wichita so take my scanner there.

SKINNY1

I live in Lawrence and monitor Lawrence, Douglas County, KHP, KU, and Topeka PD's. I am using the GRE PSR-500 hand held scanner.

jereck_99

Premium Subscriber
i live in Haysville and Monitor Wichita PD, Sedgwick co, and KHP and the new KHP Digtal. I using a Pro 96 and a Pro 2096

jereck_99

Premium Subscriber
I live in Haysville a sub of wichita so i listen to all wichita Pd & FD, all sedgwick co, all the KHP Digtal i can get and when i travel i set up the scanner to listen on the road. I have a handheld Pro96 and a base Pro2096

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Skype and Logmein

Yep, set Skype on the home computer to "Auto-Answer" and set up your record controls for Line-in audio. You can null out the output audio if you want. Skpe to your home computer from a remote computer or if you subscribe to Skype-In, you can call your Skype number from anywhere in the world on a telephone.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to write a script to have Skpe call me and playback a recorded file of the scanner's output for say the last hour or so. Ususally there is less than 10 minutes of actual audio recorded per hour, unless I have something like Wichita/Sedgwick County TRS enabled.....n0lqt

I use Logmein.com to remotely acces the pc and control the radios & listen thru skype. then i can play back over skype the audio i want to hear as well... and it is secure too !... works great behind fire walls and work and stuff... because they filter the shoutcast stuff, why i use skype and the logmein....
wonderfull stuff.... i use the free remote control only part of logmein.
if you want full use(FTP & remote Printing) you have to pay extra$$ for the logmein ware, but its gets me what i want... control of my radio....

Sm0ke

Atari26k

Just moved from the Missouri side to Kansas (Belton to Kansas City). I used to listen on a BC100XLT quite awhile ago, but bought a Pro-97 a few years back. Just got back into it again recently, but can't seem to stop listening :)

Dr. Smoke, judging by your level of involvement here, you must have run a site awhile back with freq's listed. When I recently starting monitoring again, I found my old list of bookmarks and was disappointed that your site wasn't there. Glad to see you're still involved!

snakecharmer

I'm in KCK just east of the Kansas Speedway. I mostly monitor the Wyco police & fire and whatever JOCO police & fire stuff that is still conventional. I'm also a licensed HAM but do more listening than talking. I mostly just listen to the WyCO and JOCO spotters frequencies when we have weather.

MadSpleen85

Forum n00b checking in. Monitor in Shawnee, Johnson County, KS. Mainly Shawnee, Lenexa and Olathe PD's, along with JOCO Fire/Med-Act. Currently using a Pro-2040 (circa 1995), a Pro-2051, and my handheld Pro-96. Currently all on the stock antenna, hoping to be adding a roof mounted antenna soon.

Been dabbling a little bit in the Trunking area, can't get much of that figured out or programmed, as I would like to being I spend some time in the Prairie Village and Overland Park, KS areas for visiting the girlfriend and school. I have been activly monitoring (nearly 24/7) for more than 3 years. I have wore out the lighting on the display of the Pro-2040. lol. I am a 23 year old Administration of Justice major at JCCC, btw.

MadSpleen85

Forum n00b checking in. Monitor in Shawnee, Johnson County, KS. Mainly Shawnee, Lenexa and Olathe PD's, along with JOCO Fire/Med-Act. Currently using a Pro-2040 (circa 1995), a Pro-2051, and my handheld Pro-96. Currently all on the stock antenna, hoping to be adding a roof mounted antenna soon.

Been dabbling a little bit in the Trunking area, can't get much of that figured out or programmed, as I would like to being I spend some time in the Prairie Village and Overland Park, KS areas for visiting the girlfriend and school. I have been activly monitoring (nearly 24/7) for more than 3 years. I have wore out the lighting on the display of the Pro-2040. lol. I am a 23 year old Administration of Justice major at JCCC, btw.

I can't seem to figure out how to EDIT my original post but that should say my handheld is a Pro-97, and not 96. I also failed to mention that I have been reading about Johnson County's plans to upgrade to the P25 system. If I understand that system somewhat, none of my current setup will be able to monitor that, being it will be digital and I am not.

EDIT: hmm, I can edit this post but not my previous...

Last edited:

VincentMarez

I got an old pro 94 and i listen for franklin, douglas, johnson, leavenworth, and wyandott counties all the time. i need all the best freqs to optimize my scanner listening. Can U help me?

n0lqt

Start here:

Douglas: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=906
Franklin: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=913
Johnson: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=929
Lvnwoth: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=935
Wyndott: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=988

You won't be able to listen in on the KSICS statewide system. It is all P-25 digital, but when the Moto-bridges are active in your area, you will be able to hear some of that activity. Unfortunately, I don't believe that scanner is software programmable. Time to start saving the nickles and dimes for a P-25 capable scanner... You're going to see more and more agencies switch to digital in the next few years. Depending on what sort of federal funding is available and the political/terrorism climate, we could see a mass migration in as little as the next 3 - 4 years.

joekansas

Fellow scanner users......

I joined a while back, but have never posted. I've been scanning since the '70's- listening on crystal type scanners at first, then graduating to a Pro-2022 and a Bearcat 800-XLT. They are good for local traffic, except our PD and Sheriffs do the scrambling thing a little bit too often.
Basically, I am still in the stone ages from what I read on these forums ! Trunking !?

Last edited:

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
3] Is there ANY sort of trunked traffic in my area that this scanner will/should pick up. DOT, Fish and Game?

Hi. First question: What part of KS do you live in? [EDIT: MY bad...I see now that you already said you live in SE KS. Sorry. I guess I won't be much help to you, huh? :)] If you live west of Salina, you can likely pick up KHP on their conventional 800 repeaters (not trunked). Ellis County (Hays) has a Motorola trunked system that used to be pretty easy to monitor if they haven't changed anything, and a couple other systems you can try to monitor. Farther west (where I'm from) there's an LTR system in Goodland, but other than that there's not much in the way of trunking. East...someone else would have to answer, or go to the Kansas page of the database...

Kansas Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

select counties around you, and look under "All trunked systems in <insert name here> County".

Good luck!! Have fun!!!

David

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Recently I got 2 PRO-2050 scanners cheap- $20 each. Trunk Tracker!!!!! Whew, I thought I really had something! Now, I am not so sure. I found the operating manual for them online and downloaded and printed the parts concerning trunking and found the trunk freqs. on this site and printed them off. I take it from what I read that these are at least 10 years old? Obsolete as far as trunking, maybe?

I am really not sure if I got them programmed in right, because I am not hearing anything. I programmed in the Independence and West Mineral towers- even the control freq. There just may not be much KHP traffic on the radio down here in SEK.

If the towers in your area for SPD are in this link, Highway Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference you can program them into the 11/12 year old 2050. Motorola Smartnet systems are the only trunking systems for the scanner. A link below my signature will list a shortcut for programming. Another problem with the 2050...you can't scan conventional frequencies (link above) simultaneously with a trunking system.