MFJ-1886 with Drake R8A Will it work?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I'm looking into getting a MFJ-1886 loop antenna to use with a old Drake R8A shortwave radio but I noticed something that I was wondering somebody could answer.

For the antenna connections on the Drake R8A all what they have for connections is a VHF antenna, Dipole low impedance, and longwire high impedance. I included a link to the Drake R8A manual, the antenna connections page is on page 8.

So my question is will the MFJ-1886 work on the Dipole low impedance antenna connection? Since its a plug for PL-259 connections which the MFJ-1886 needs for a connections. Or I'm I out of luck? :confused:

Blackswan73

Yes, it will work, but I am curious why you would want such an expensive antenna when many other antenna options exist that will work just as well or better that are much cheaper. For instance, depending on what you want to listen to, and the space available, you could build a decent shortwave antenna for less than a hundred dollars. Or you could even buy a commercial wire antenna for less than $200

B.S.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well a lot of folks don't have a good sized lot for a good antenna, or have HOAs - loops can be hid in many different ways. In fact they work quite well mounted close to the ground. Our loops wiki has lots of links on this subject, and several hombrew projects, too

Mike

Blackswan73

I agree. In fact, I have a loop antenna I just purchased for my Belka. I haven’t put it together yet, but I have perused several reviews of it, and it cost less than $50

B.S.

Blackswan73

MLA-30+. I am most interested in seeing how it performs compared to my 46’ T2FD. I am impressed with the reviews, and I have noticed several folks on another forum I patronize use them. Less than $50 including the PVC

B.S.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In fact there's a FB group that talks about various mods to this little Chinese gem that is so popular...

Mike

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it will work, but I am curious why you would want such an expensive antenna when many other antenna options exist that will work just as well or better that are much cheaper. For instance, depending on what you want to listen to, and the space available, you could build a decent shortwave antenna for less than a hundred dollars. Or you could even buy a commercial wire antenna for less than $200

B.S.

Unfortunately I don't have enough space for a longwire or dipole antenna.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You certainly aren't alone. That's where loops come into play

I don't think I would trust that flimsy wire the MLA30 comes with to stand up to any weather. Indoors it might be OK, but outdoors no way jose. The first things I would probably do would be to improve the waterproofing of the amp box and replacing the loop element. I would wager the FB group has something to say about that

Mike

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Unfortunately I don't have enough space for a longwire or dipole antenna.
Before spending the $$$ just understand the indoor loop receive performance will be 75% less than if it were outside. It'll be 0% if you have any broadband RFI inside the house.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Before spending the $$$ just understand the indoor loop receive performance will be 75% less than if it were outside. It'll be 0% if you have any broadband RFI inside the house.

The loop will be mounted outside up on a pole.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are going to use this on MW, then keep it close to the ground. No more than a few feet - some say about the diameter of the loop itself. Too high and you lose the loop's directionality .

Mike

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
If you are going to use this on MW, then keep it close to the ground. No more than a few feet - some say about the diameter of the loop itself. Too high and you lose the loop's directionality .

Mike

Hmm, I was going to put it up 20 feet off the ground because that is what I built for a antenna pole setup. Though I'm kinda in a little valley of sorts.